Should the American taxpayer bail out California?

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 01:02 am
@hawkeye10,
well, i guess 50 billion is chump change ? **** man, that's something like 15.5 % of the stim bill.

tell me, how would california be able, as a member of the united states of america, to tell the military to shove off ? i mean, do you seriously believe that the people, or state government has the juice to close a u.s. army base on it's own? yes? no? maybe?

if the numbers put forth by the source are accurate, it would appear that california has been doing quite a bit of the bailing out for more than a few months.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Wed 27 May, 2009 01:03 am
@Finn dAbuzz,
dude, who ever said that there weren't any annoying freaks? Very Happy
0 Replies

slkshock7

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:34 pm
@parados,
Parados wrote:
Once the actual effects start taking place, the governor is going to be greatly disliked; higher local taxes, cities have to reduce services because of reductions in state aid, increased medical costs, closing of many services. The only thing the governor has NOT done is reduce his salary.

The state court system has announced if the proposed cuts are made they will no longer be able to hold trials for certain offenses such as traffic tickets and petty crimes. If those are contested, they will be thrown out.

Surely there is more fat that can be cut from the California budget than taking it from courts, medical or other public safety-type areas. I don't live in California but if I did, I'd sure be clamoring for my legislators to demonstrate why the courts needed to take the cut rather than some other programs that are less critical e.g. state parks, local public assistance grants, museums, diverting plans and dollars set aside for new building or renovation projects, etc. I suspect that threatening cuts in such programs is more a fear tactic to compel someone else to pay the bill (Feds or taxpayers) than an actual strategy that would be executed.
mysteryman

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 04:43 pm
@parados,
So the people will blame the governor for doing what the law allows, and will have no problem with the legislature that knowqingly and intentionally spent waaaay more then they had to spend.
hawkeye10

Reply Thu 28 May, 2009 05:14 pm
@mysteryman,
Quote:
So the people will blame the governor for doing what the law allows, and will have no problem with the legislature that knowqingly and intentionally spent waaaay more then they had to spend.

What the leaders should do now is cut (hack) away at expense lines of the budget. If the citizens want anything saved then they need to approve budget revenue lines increases (more taxes). If the citizens do not want services enough to pay for them then they don't want them enough for them to exist. This is government 101.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 03:20 am
what california's leaders should do is insist that more money paid by californians in federal income taxes be returned to us.

in 2005, california received .78c for every dollar paid to the feds. other states, including some who are throwing around words like secession, have received over $1.50 for every dollar paid to the feds. much more.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 29 May, 2009 09:09 am
@slkshock7,
slkshock7 wrote:

I don't live in California but if I did, I'd sure be clamoring for my legislators to demonstrate why the courts needed to take the cut rather than some other programs that are less critical e.g. state parks, local public assistance grants, museums, diverting plans and dollars set aside for new building or renovation projects, etc.

Actually, that's what they're doing now - at least according to my local paper.
Several state parks will be closed, and more state owned real estate will be
sold.
------------
On the other hand, government can be as far removed from earth as can be.
For example: we have a local beach, called "Children's Beach" however, for
years and years now, the seals have made this stretch of beach their home.
People complained that it has to become a kid's beach again and after several
lawsuits and instances, it was finally decided to come up with a plan to get
rid of the seals. The city got a proposal for over $ 600,000 to remove the
seals and was even contemplating to accept such proposal until the outcry
of the public intervened. Now they want to install a recording of barking dogs
to get rid of the seals. Crazy, crazy, but that's California for you!

We're (government) spending money foolishly, and have gotten the bill
for it.
0 Replies