How to tell daughter her cat got run over

dlowan

Reply Sat 23 May, 2009 06:19 pm
@FreeDuck,
Ya know, I do think losing pets (MUCH better when it happens at a ripe old age..for the pet!) is kind of good for kids, in a really sad way.

In our culture we tend to be so unnaturally isolated from death, and so phobic about it, I think it helps to be in touch with reality.

I, and my friends, had so many animals as a kid that funerals (always enormously dramatic events!) were very common.

That being said, the pain really sucks...and poor little bumwarmer should have lived a long life.

Crying or Very sad

I think the revenge thing IS natural.

Sadly, some folk never grow out of it. Not that I think Duckie won't. He has you.
0 Replies

BorisKitten

Reply Sun 24 May, 2009 12:31 pm
Quote:
So, just one more update. The kids decided to write notes to Lucy about how much they loved and missed her. Then we went to her grave site with candles, lit the candles, read the notes, then lit the notes on fire and burned them into the ether -- where Lucy could get them...

I've done this, writing loving notes on scraps of paper, then burning them, for both passed-on pets and people. It's always really helped me.

FreeDuck, I can't imagine you handling this situation any better. You did a great job!
0 Replies

Aldistar

Reply Tue 26 May, 2009 07:09 pm
Aw! I am sorry to hear about your kitty and you families pain. I just got caught up on all the happenings. My condolences.

I don't think you could have done any better than you did with the kids. I remember many a pet funeral and none of them were easy.
0 Replies

MaxieMyDeadCat

Reply Fri 18 Nov, 2011 04:19 pm
Yes, I am a daughter myself and now, I'm crying as i write. My kitty got ran over TODAY yes, November 18 and my mom didn't want me to know but my dad told me. :

He said Maxie which is his name got ran over near my friends street and he saw it as he was coming home from work. It was in the mornig and I was gonna be late for school but I wasn't. He had put Maxie by a pole and covered him with a blanket and when he brought me there, he covered his head cause he got ran over on his head and it was just TERRIBLE. I cried almost all day and everytime I thought or heard about it, I'd start crying. I didn't do a lot to help though. He went missing like a week ago or so and I didn't put up LOST signs until yesterday. How foolish of me. I love my Maxie forever. After all, he's my first cat and first pet and was only one and a half years old.

R.I.P and R.I.H. BTW, RIH means rest in heaven. I love him.
0 Replies