Is a relationship without sex just a friendship?

cherrii

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2009 04:50 pm
@TR,
Thanks for this question. I'm familiar w/ both scenarios. Current bf is on anti- depressants which means no sex for us and former bf just didn't ever really initiate sex. Am I cursed? Current bf is the greatest but it's been almost a yr and no sex, ever. I'm not sure if I'll be able to stay if we can't ever seal the deal, but I really am in love (I think). So what to do? Is it possible to have relationship w/ no sex? I don't wanna cheat but I do have desires and the manual route just doesn't cut it.
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Wed 14 Oct, 2009 04:35 am
@TR,
Quote:
Is a relationship without sex just a friendship?

No, but it is in trouble. The degree depends on any number of things, like :
- married or not married
- children, common interests, busyness of their lives
- the relative sex drive of each partner
- whether it's by choice, loss of interest, or witholding
- any number of other things.

They could be intimately entwined, or lead almost separate lives.

Some relationships without sex are really just friendships, but it depends on many things.

Certainly anyone looking to justify an affair, or wanting to start an affair could easily talk themselves into believing such is just a friendship.
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2009 07:56 pm
If this was a couple in their 60's, I'd say, yes, the platonic relationship can sustain the marriage.

But couples in their 20's and 30's? No way.
0 Replies

jadedangel

Reply Wed 4 Nov, 2009 08:50 pm
@ossobuco,
I'm the woman in the scenario #1 situation. There is no doubt in my mind that I love my boyfriend. I feel guilty because I can't be faithful to him. I need to have sex with or without him. Even though he knows that it is not his fault, he feels bad that he can't give me what I need. We share everything except sex. I don't want the fact that we can't have sex together to destroy our relationship, but it tears me apart a little more every day.
0 Replies