Help: TKO goes to England

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 09:44 pm
Hello A2K.

I'm traveling again. This time over to the UK. I will be there from July 3rd to July 15th. I will be landing in London, and I think the majority of the time I'll be spending there, but honestly, I just don't know where to go. I really don't have a plan.

I need help, and I know there are some Brits here on A2K. Where should I go? A friend has suggested I use hostels and couch surfing so I can meet more people on my trip. Has anyone here ever done that? I'll probably stay in a hotel or too as well, but what the hell do I know about England?

ideas ideas ideas?

T
K
Oh and if it wasn't obvious in the dates I'm there, I'll be celebrating the US's independence from the British, in England. A good pub on the night of the 4th is a must!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 21 • Views: 24,422 • Replies: 333

Rockhead

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 09:47 pm
@Diest TKO,
Barry the mod lives in London, and is a decent sort of sot.

I will PM you...
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 10:35 pm
@Diest TKO,
You'll be there for the final days of Wimbledon, and can take the tube down there.

221B Baker Street.

Swing by Herrod's.

Hyde Park.

The Metropolitan Pub, 8-9 Windsor St, Uxbridge, UK.

Hard Rock Cafe, London.
Diest TKO

Reply Sun 17 May, 2009 11:36 pm
@Ticomaya,
Thanks Tico.

It would have been funny if you said something like "Do us a favor and stay there."

I'll check it out

Thanks!
K
O
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 12:38 am
If you really want to do a service for the posters on these threads, Diest TKO, you should investigate and report on the state of Medical Care in England.
mysteryman

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 02:49 am
@Diest TKO,
Let Izzie know you are coming.
She lives in England and can probably answer your questions best.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 02:53 am
@Diest TKO,
I have ideas, but I have no idea what sort of stuff you are interested in.

I just have the idea that it is very different from what I am interested in.

Can you give us a trail of crumbs?

Oh...and Tiko meant "HArrods".

Herod was a king with bad press...but that isn't important right now.

I don't think he has a swanky store in London though.
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 03:00 am
@dlowan,
Trail of crumbs...

I'm into music, I take photos, I talk to strangers on the street with my video camera, I eat all foods, I'm chatty, I'm 26...

some crumbs to help.

T
K
O
dlowan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 03:28 am
@Diest TKO,
Bugger.

I think I cannot help.

I love British literary culture....and ancient cultures generally....I wept at Chaucer's tomb, and that of Elizabeth I and the ghost of Mary Tudor....the British Museum was a sacred pilgrimage...Canterbury Cathedral a shrine...Bloomsbury a delight.....sigh.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 05:31 am
@Diest TKO,
Go to the Tate. And other museums too.

Wander. That was my favorite thing to do in London. I never felt unsafe though I bet there were places I could've gone that would've been dicey.

Flea Markets! Camden Market, Portobello Road...

Found this with a listing, the site in general looks good:

http://www.londontourist.org/markets.html
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 06:51 am
@Diest TKO,
Do you like scenery? Train journeys let you take in lots of it. There are some lovely Scottish train journeys.

Walking holidays are good...

The Lake Districts.

Bath.

English villages and their pubs....

If you see the Royal Shakespeare Company perform, do it in London...their Stratford on Avon performances tend to be more middle of the road.

There's great theatre generally.....

Lots of music stuff happening.

I found folk much friendlier than they are rumoured to be...especially in pubs.

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 06:54 am
@dlowan,
I found it depended on nationality + number. They were very friendly to me, singly or with non-Americans. When I was with a pack of Americans, though, we got a lot of attitude.
dlowan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 07:03 am
@sozobe,
Aah! Indeed....like French Canadians are really nice once they discover you are neither from the USA, nor an Anglophone Canadian.
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 07:54 am
I'm not going to pretend I'm from Canada. I can't have the Brits thinking all Canadians are THIS cool.

T
K
Cool
dlowan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 07:56 am
@Diest TKO,
You haven't lived until you've passed as Canadian, eh.
Diest TKO

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:00 am
@dlowan,
Well, I'm not bad at doing a fake accent. None of that poser "eh" and "hoser" BS either. My impersonation is legit.

T
K
O
dlowan

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 08:01 am
@Diest TKO,
And humile with it.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 09:44 am
@Diest TKO,
Diest TKO wrote:

Well, I'm not bad at doing a fake accent. None of that poser "eh" and "hoser" BS either. My impersonation is legit.

T
K
O

How exactly are we supposed to be at my wedding in Maui, and in England, on July 3rd, at the same time? Have we really put any thought into this? Smile

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 10:09 am
@Diest TKO,
Oh hey.......... loadsa places in London........ Covent Garden - people watching, street actors, all the markets, markets are incredible, so many galleries and museums, river cruises, BigBen, HOP, West End, Shows, SOHO - you must visit SOHO - London Tombs (scary), Crown Jewels, Tower of London - concerts - there is so much to see and do there. Fabulous place to people watch.

There's a couple folk up there and around the M25 - Pentacle Queen is there - she's on her hols soon too - why don't you PM her - you guys would have a whole world of stuff to talk about!!!!!!!!!!!!

if you wanna real piece of quiet... Devon's 200 miles away - HA - not really the place for a 26yr old who wants to live the high life and wants to experience a great big dollop of fun - but you're most very welcome to come stay ANYTIME.... you'd have to like greenery and babbling brooks. Razz

Gosh - there is just heaps to keep you busy in London - it's not cheap tho - in fact - it's really expensive over here - if you can find somewhere to bunk down on the sofa - you'd save yerfself a fortune. You won't need a car in London - loadsa transport. The UK is verra beautiful, outstanding scenery. All depends what you like really.

<Pity you won't be across on the 28th June - big 'ole party going on in Hyde Park - gonna be visiting with BazzaTheMod round about then.>

0 Replies

the prince

Reply Mon 18 May, 2009 10:25 am
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm