Help: TKO goes to England

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 10:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Actually the airfare is not the "bad" part of travel to London (there are many good deals on airfare now); it's the cost of accommodation and food. I even remember on my last trip to London, we paid US$10 for a hamburger at a pub, and I've never paid $10 for hamburger at home - even today.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 10:31 am
@cicerone imposter,
Surely that's not THAT bad.
Like, a proper burger with chips and stuff?
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 10:57 am
@The Pentacle Queen,
Yup! We can get a hamburger with chips at In and Out for about $3.
The Pentacle Queen

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 12:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Whats an 'In and out', a takeaway?
We can get a burger and chips for like £2 or less at a takeaway.

Sorry, i want to clarify this issue.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 01:04 pm
@The Pentacle Queen,
Weighing in...

What I find to be the best burger in Albuquerque, found at a charming sit down restaurant in Corrales, still is, I think, $6.99. I've had other incredible hamburgers in cafes in Los Angeles, for something like $9.00 or $10. All of these come with some kind of side 'dishes'. They had In-and-Out Burgers in LA, not bad for a drive through, though I remember wondering what all the fuss was about. I do remember they are famous for good procedures re the business as a whole. Haven't been there in a long time, don't remember the cost, but I assume it is MacDonald's equivalent.

What I think of as the worst burger in Albuqueque, also at a "sit down restaurant", comes with one side dish and is $5.99. I figure MacDonald's and Carl's Junior - where you can go in and sit down, should you wish, but all plastic all the time - are better than that place, but I haven't been to either of those places in many years.

Given the value of the dollar and the pound, $10.00 for a non-drive through burger seems even low to me - or at the least equivalent - especially if drive through places are as inexpensive as you say, PQ.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 01:20 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, In and Out is known for their fresh ingredients; their burgers are not frozen. The price is good too!
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 01:33 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I've only been there maybe twice - there used to be one somewhere around Riverside, which we would stop at on driving back from my in-laws.

The place in Abq that I'm most recently unenamored of is famous for their fresh meat too. Last time there I simply couldn't swallow the burger, it was weirdly dry. And the bun dissolves as you hold it, pretty much. It's too bad, as I like the folks working there, the place is fairly close, and they have a super selection of beer, which I at least enjoy reading about, if not ordering.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 01:36 pm
@ossobuco,
Anyway, I'm envious of those getting to visit/tour England. I have so many places I'd want to see there that I'd need a couple of months time. And then there's Scotland, and Ireland, my ancestral home.
cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 01:51 pm
@ossobuco,
My wife and I go to In and Out about once-a-month if that often.
panzade

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 05:55 pm
@cicerone imposter,
Quote:
That's the reason I'm not considering another trip to the UK.

We owe mucho dinero. It's no wonder Brits are coming over and scarfing up foreclosures in Orlando...and why we can't afford to tourist as much.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 06:13 pm
@cicerone imposter,
I don't mean to be antagonistic, CI, but I don't get it. You have traveled the world extensively - tours and cruises and tours and cruises at some fair expense, which most of us couldn't do if we wanted to. Now you're watching the money, re a slight increase in a hamburger's worth to you, and wouldn't set foot in England again for that reason?

I've lived more or less at the edge re money for a variety of reasons for fifty years. If I could get to England, I'd check out the grocery stores or street food where there is any.

But wait, that wouldn't be on a tour. I get you like the guidance of a tour. But that in itself is a batch of dollars.

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 07:10 pm
@ossobuco,
osso, I do independent tours too!

We all have our funny quirks about different issues in our lives. I know it sounds pretty funny when I make it such a big deal about paying $10 for a hamburger, but will pay $10 for a vodka martini on a cruise ship.

Just don't ask me to explain it. LOL
ossobuco

Reply Sun 2 Aug, 2009 07:18 pm
@cicerone imposter,
'k, long as you see the juxtaposition..
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Mon 12 Apr, 2010 10:58 pm
@cicerone imposter,
cicerone imposter wrote:

My wife and I go to In and Out about once-a-month if that often.

Well that's marriage for ya!

-boom-tish-
0 Replies