What is depression?

Tyrius

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 04:24 pm
Oh ic......
Well for what reason could my friend be angry about?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 07:28 pm
Oh, tons of reasons. They don't have to make sense, you know. It's emotional. Could be anger about the way his grandfather died, the fact that he won't be able to see him anymore (abandonment), the way his parents acted about the whole thing, feeling left out of the whole process, oh, tons of possibilities. Anger is one of the normal reactions to death. But for people who are typically happy-on-the-surface, always-smiling people, anger can be very hard to express. So, often they internalize it.

Again, like Phoenix said, two weeks is really not all that long to grieve over a beloved family member. It may not be depression at all, just grief. Did this unhappiness just start since the grandfather's death, or has it been going on longer?
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 08:35 pm
Its been going on longer, he seems to be cheering up a bit.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 11:06 pm
Good! Keep him talking, keep him out there doing things. Depression makes you want to hibernate, and that doesn't help. If you think he needs more help than you can give him, talk to his parents about this.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 11:16 pm
I wish you well, Tyrius as well as your friend. Your caring is so important, but what Eva said about talking to his parents is something you need to keep in mind if he doesn't start to feel better.
I admire your generous spirit and caring friendship.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 07:20 pm
Thanks alot, He seems to be hitting alot harder in football practice so i guess he might be taking his anger out on me during practice Smile. We went to a volleyball game today it was alot of fun. Should i just be taking him out places?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 09:48 pm
Yep, just keep him moving. Football practice is very good!

Depression makes one feel exhausted all the time. This happens because all the person's energy is directed inward. All that bottled-up energy makes a person's mind start going in endless circles. Physical activity is helpful because it redirects the energy away from the mind. Depression is one of the rare instances in life where thinking is not necessarily good. Exercise is better. It gives the mind less of a chance to exhaust itself.

Does this help you understand it better?
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 05:57 pm
Much better. The state fair is friday! and its a one o'clock day!
0 Replies