What is depression?

Tyrius

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 07:46 pm
There is more to it then just being sad for days and days, isnt there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,934 • Replies: 27
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 08:33 pm
Yes, to answer your question, everyone has sadness, depression is different.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 08:35 pm
Then what is depression
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 08:41 pm
Depression is when you are always sad. People with depression or long term sadness should see a doctor. Mental health is as important as physical health.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 08:44 pm
I know someone who never seems to be in a happy mood, im not sure wether he is seeing a doctor or not. How should i approach this?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 08:46 pm
Let me see if I can remember all the indicators---

Feelings of hopelessness, worthlessness, guilt.
Sleep disturbances--too much, or insomnia--a change in your normal sleep patterns.
Eating changes---too much or not enough.
A pervasive sad mood for over two weeks.
Crying more easily than before...

You can have a situational depression, or a chemical imbalance.
Either can be deadly.

I think I'm forgetting a couple of indicators...
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 08:47 pm
Oh, a biggie. Thoughts of suicide, or feeling if you were dead, it would be better.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 08:49 pm
Why don't you just be honest with your friend. Ask if there is anything you can do to help as the first step. Tell your friend you are worried and concerned. Some people are sad because of a death in the family or close friend. It might also be job problems. I would only suggest that you don't try to be the doctor.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 08:50 pm
Quote:
I know someone who never seems to be in a happy mood, im not sure wether he is seeing a doctor or not. How should i approach this?

Ask him how he's doing. When he says Okay, look him right in the eyes and say "No, really, how are you?"

Talking about how one feels is great medicine.

A friend is the greatest treasure, be one.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 08:43 am
Mental confusion is a big symptom, too.

Joe is right once again. Talk to him. Really talk. And be prepared to listen for as long as it takes. c.i. is right, too. Don't try to be a doctor, but it's okay to suggest he see one if you think he should. Let him know it's alright to do that.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 09:03 am
There are a number of different forms of clinical depression, Here is a link from the NIMH which outlines the types and differences of depression:

http://www.nimh.nih.gov/publicat/depression.cfm
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:22 pm
Well it seems he had a recent death in the family that i wasnt aware of, or any one for that matter. So im going to take him out for a night of fun to get his mind of it. Thanks for the advice guys
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 02:25 pm
Tyrius- Grieving usually accompanies a death of an important person in one's life. It is normal to be sad at this time. If your friend appears to be grieving TOO long, if he can't seem to get back to normal, the trauma of the death may well have brought on a depression.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:01 pm
Well he said his grandfather died 2 weeks ago so im not sure how long would be normal.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:09 pm
He's very fortunate to have you for a friend.
Getting him out of the house, and trying to get his mind on fun is a wonderful thing for you to do for him. Hopefully, his mood will lift in time.

It's good for him to know you are available to talk, if he wants to.

If you see his depression signs getting worse, rather than better over time, you may want to share with him your concerns.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:14 pm
Tyrius, I can't add anything to the excellent suggestions that have already been posted, but it is important to realize that depression can be a terminal illness because it so often leads to suicide. Being a friend is wonderful and probably more meaningful than you realize, but always remember that you cannot be a doctor. That is way too much responsibility for you and it isn't really what your friend needs.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 03:15 pm
Two weeks is certainly not too long for a person to grieve over a beloved grandparent. How was this guy BEFORE the death? Is his emotional tone different in the last two weeks, or was he usually a bit sad?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 05:57 pm
Depression is anger turned inwards.
0 Replies

Tyrius

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 01:43 pm
Well he is always happy and cheerful. It just seems wierd to see a frown on his face. But we sure did have a blast last nite. Thanks again for the advice.

@Wilso
What do you mean? Hating yourself?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sun 5 Oct, 2003 01:51 pm
Tyrius- Sometimes, when people are unable to express their feelings of anger, the intensity of the emotion will internalize, and express itself as depression.
0 Replies