ABUSED WORDS

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 05:05 pm
@TilleyWink,
Is that anything like, "I yam what I yam?"

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 05:44 pm
Once a friend and I were working away on a job remodeling a part of a church. As I frequently do, I imitated a cartoon voice, in this instance, Popeye. "I yam what I yam." The friend became very angry. He thought I was mocking the Bible, in which God tells Moses, "I am that I am." We had a nice little argument, then went back to work.
Reyn

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 05:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgarblythe wrote:
The friend became very angry. He thought I was mocking the Bible, in which God tells Moses, "I am that I am." We had a nice little argument, then went back to work.

Some folks are just so over-sensitive about anything religeous, are they, Edgar?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 05:55 pm
I guess the guy thought my irreverence extended to going into their building and attacking them. Normally, I live and let live. (Even if I am a Texan).
roger

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 06:01 pm
@edgarblythe,
Watch it! There is a Church of I AM out there, and it's been around for a long time. They have a somewhat checkered past that includes violence.
edgarblythe

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 06:23 pm
@roger,
I'm a pretty good hider and ducker.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 07:51 pm
"No problem." This might be just a regional phrase? I do not know for sure? "Hey, no problem."
Chumly

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 09:59 pm
@roger,
Oh right...of course!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 10:04 pm
@roger,
Iams® ProActive Health™ Smart Puppy Small & Toy Breed. Recommended For Small Breed Puppies (up to 20 lbs at maturity) - 1 to 12 months.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 10:06 pm
taco
roger

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 10:08 pm
@Foofie,
Crap. People around here say 'no problem' when all they mean is 'you're welcome'. Sounds like they've just given you their right leg, but hey, don't feel obligated, or anything.

Chumly

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 11:00 pm
@Rockhead,
Taco - Puttin' on the Ritz
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG3PnQ3tgzY
Rockhead

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 11:17 pm
@Chumly,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH2nQHPs4aA

Wink
0 Replies

roger

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 12:12 am
@Rockhead,
Taco? Thank god I have yet to hear of anyone abusing tacos.
0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 01:56 am
The resident genius( or so he says) on these threads, is Setanta ( aided, no doubt, by his bitch dog).

Setanta wrote:

I want to scream everytime i hear a news reader or commentator use the word iconic. Iconic means formulaic, following a convention (as was the case with the religious paintings known as icons). I almost never hear it properly used, but more than that, i hear it used ad nauseum. A commentator referred to a musician's new CD as "icnonic,"

End of quote

I don't think that the Genius Setanta got it right. NO commentator referred to a musician's new CD as "icnonic".

Is it the Genius Setanta's vision that is going? Or is he into premature Alzheimer's?

I think it is the latter because he seems to be unable to write more than one or two paragraphs coherently.

0 Replies

genoves

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 02:06 am
I presciently nominate the following words:

Phased Withdrawl( the abortive attempt by BO to assure the voters who wanted the US to leave IRAQ, that we are indeed doing so but it will be in PHASES.

Under Insured(the ploy to convince the rabble that no one has enough health insurance and we all need more--courtesy of increased taxes, of course.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 03:32 am
The English language is full of words to express feelings so why do women have to say "OOOH MY GOOOD" several times when someone is telling them a story about what happened.
saab

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 06:38 am
@saab,
One more word I think is being misused.
There are no politician in modern western world who can be compared with the Nazis no matter how much we dislike that person.
There is no Holocaust, there is no dictator like Hitler in our modern western world.
Calling a politician Nazi makes the real Nazis seem much more innocent than they were.
There is close to two generations who did not live during WWII and know very little about it. Then there are the denyers of Holocaust, for them it is just water on their mill." Look this politician is a nazi and there is no Holocaust, which proves there was none during WWII".
There is a so many wonderful four-letter words which even better can express our dislike about someone.
DrewDad

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 07:29 am
@saab,
So, you're a "Nazi" Nazi.
saab

Reply Wed 13 May, 2009 07:58 am
@DrewDad,
??....