please help me with this sentence

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 09:27 am
Surely it is not asking very much to wish that my personal conduct be intelligible to me! Yet it is forbidden to know for what purpose this universe was intended, to what end it was set a-going, or why I am here, or even what I had preferably do while here.
What do " it was set a-going" and "I had preferably do while here" mean?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 807 • Replies: 3
No top replies

View best answer, chosen by google808
Kenson

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 10:37 am
“You come into the world with nothing, and the purpose of your life is to make something out of nothing” - Henry Louis Mencken

“When you are inspired by some great purpose, some extraordinary project, all your thoughts break their bonds:

Your mind transcends limitations, your consciousness expands in every direction, and you find yourself in a new, great, and wonderful world.

0 Replies

contrex
  Selected Answer

Reply Mon 11 May, 2009 11:05 am
@google808,
"set a-going" is an old fashioned way of saying "set going", or "created".

"what I had preferably do" means "what I should do".
0 Replies

sullyfish6

Reply Tue 12 May, 2009 09:32 am
Surely it is not asking very much to wish that my personal conduct be intelligible to me! Yet it is forbidden to know for what purpose this universe was intended, to what end it was set a-going, (set in motion or into existence) or why I am here, or even what I had preferably do while here (or even what the heck I should be doing while I am here on earth)

0 Replies