Being intelligent is hard. Life is frustrating. I'm worried.

HexHammer

Reply Sat 4 Sep, 2010 08:27 pm
@aperson,
Search for friends over the internet or whatever media, for people like youself with a great mind, that can stimulate you.
0 Replies

chelseamonte

Reply Sun 22 Jan, 2012 11:49 pm
@aperson,
It sounds like you're pursuing a degree you're not passionate about. Do/become what you think about when you're thinking about nothing. Wink For me, I found myself fantasizing about working for the FBI. What did I do? I dropped out of my Architecture program and became a Police Officer. Why a Police Officer? Certain Departments will pay for schooling, teach a second language (needed for FBI), and support you in going through the FBI Academy. LIVE YOUR DREAMS!
0 Replies

RWatters

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 04:58 pm
I think you could eliminate some frustration just by continuing to look for like minded people out there, BECAUSE THERE ARE. You probably have some amazing theories and understanding of the world that the general population hasn't reached .
One of the difficulties I had with school is that in general textbooks teach popular beliefs...and a lot of popular theory seems bloody archaic.~ Ahem~, the medical community used to believe that leeches were a good treatment, now pretty much everything can be helped with anti-depressants... (and most problems are coincidentally depression related).
You may notice that people will dismiss this frustration and tell you that you are depressed? Depression could happen as a direct result of being frustrated and alone with your thoughts for too long. Eliminating the frustration is key. I can't stress enough that there are people in this world that will 'get' you and vise versa.
So keep looking, good idea starting this thread ; )
0 Replies

RWatters

Reply Mon 29 Oct, 2012 05:09 pm
@roger,
I agree with you Roger -good thing campus counseling isn't the only advise on this thread! So many people have been told thats the solution and if (when) it doesn't work , the person feels even worse.
0 Replies

MP93

Reply Thu 4 Apr, 2013 07:43 pm
@aperson,
I'm in the same phase right now. Lost, lonely, drowning in thoughts that I simply cannot control. Sciatic nerve pain is preventing me from doing physical activities to distract my mind and making it even worse. I realize this is a really old post, but did things ever get better for you? It seems like no one on this thread really understood what you were saying. When I hear "you should consider studying something else" or that it's a spiritual problem, I sense bullshit. It's a problem with reality that no one else sees except deep thinkers who have emotions that parallel with their thoughts.
farmerman

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 05:13 am
@MP93,
Man, Im really depressed because I aintsmart enough to be depressed about how smart I am compared to everyone else. I find out I dont know **** about anything.
Maybe Ill just go fishin and say **** it, I aint gonna show up to teach my classes since everyone else is depressed for much better reasons.
Now thats depressing too.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 05:17 am
Goddamn, now i'm depressed, too. That's 'cause i ain't no deep thinker who has emotions that parallel with my thoughts. (Whatever the hell that's supposed to mean.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 5 Apr, 2013 05:18 am
Not to worry. They've got prescriptions for that.
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Thu 2 Jan, 2014 12:39 pm
@aperson,
Bill Gate$ was a drop-out, many of the ritches men in the world are drop outs, don't worry about it if your mind is good enough.
0 Replies

wordsberserk

Reply Fri 25 Apr, 2014 10:51 pm
@aperson,
Hi @aperson.
I totally feel like you. N this isn't depression in itself but a cause. I have suffered because I have felt like you. I so need a person who I can talk substance to. People around seem so superficial.
0 Replies

anonymously99

Reply Sun 27 Apr, 2014 01:55 am
@aperson,
May 2009 I wasn't married yet. Why couldn't you had came across my path.

((I thinking you're a clean individual.))
0 Replies

HexHammer

Reply Tue 1 Jul, 2014 05:32 am
@aperson,
aperson wrote:

You'd think it'd be good. In a way it kinda sucks. I sometimes get into quiet, deep, reflective moods and I feel like discussing life and death and reality and truth and meaning and reason and human nature and the future, but I have no one to talk to that I know first hand. Some of my peers are more intelligent than me in maths and in terms of IQ, but none of them think. I mean, they do think of course, about video games and exams and girls, but they don't actually think deeply about anything. My parents only care about shares and work and what horrible **** is going down in the world lately. Their minds are closed to any big question, just like everyone else.
In school you don't learn how to think abstract, to think outside the box, to think hollisticly.

Most things are only things you can parrot, and calculate in straight logical terms, you never learn to take account for abstract things that seemingly doesn't exist.

I've don't really bad in school, but did brilliantly in a newspaper with very highly educated people.

- saved the IT department 3-4 hours per installation of each PC.
- shortened the internal newsletter by 7½h.
- changed the PC into terminals.
- changed ancient terminals from 1977 to modern terminals.
- found 100 waste hours per ancient termnials.
- changed the userinterface for the ancient terminals.
..etc..etc.

Very few people can think critically, Bill Gates and other brilliant people hasn't wasted time in taken a higher education.
If you have some good ideas, then exit school and realize them!
0 Replies

daverod

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2018 05:32 pm
@aperson,
Okay... so you 'owned' your exams. Nice. Now how much of that material can you remember and pull off the top of your head as you did on Exam day? So, points learned.. did they become points lost?

Also. 'morons'. Not that it's bad but it might mean that you are in the wrong circles. Not that they are morons or that you are a moron but you might be mixing in the wrong circles. The difficult part is finding the right circle.

Quote:
My parents only care about shares and work and what horrible **** is going down in the world lately. Their minds are closed to any big question, just like everyone else.

Do you think this is so because they 'know' about these things more than you might know about those exam questions?

Quote:
I have never had a best friend for longer than two years. As soon as I get close to someone, I start to lose interest in them, and they in me.

I still have almost two years to go.

I am doing a Philosophy course at university for a challenge, though the it is more geared towards logic than typical Philosophy.

Quote:
I am losing enthusiasm for school, and I'm worried that I'll end up getting lazy and flunking my exams.

Lack of 'motivation/incentive' to continue...

What's in your future career path? Will you be using your Philosophy Major as a credential for the 'job' you get? What might you be working in/as to make life earnings to able to support yourself while you are working? Incentive to be 1 or 2 in the group which gets employed could be similar to being 1 or 2 in the class which received the high grade.

Quote:
I got A+ in the first assignment, one of the only two in the class.
0 Replies

Koo95

Reply Fri 7 Dec, 2018 03:05 pm
@aperson,
To tell u the truth my situation is really worse than yours i totally understand all your text... i am still facing this situation a d still dont know what to do... so not able to advice u ... but just cheer up and stay yourself never lose your precious self
0 Replies

blopblopblo1

Reply Thu 29 Apr, 2021 11:35 am
@OmSigDAVID,
I agree that having fun in life is the most important thing but when your depressed that's kind of hard to do because you cant just talk out your feeling i mean yes it would make you feel a little better but it dosn't stop depression it just stops them from doing something that they might regret.
0 Replies