IDEAL Religion...

IDEAL Singh

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:14 pm
fishin' wrote:
Sofia wrote:
What specific goals do rituals at church seek to accomplish?

Well, as I said earlier, I think most of them were intended to be a way to pass on the culture/'corporate knowledge" of the religion.

Rolling Eyes

Most people probably wouldn't consider bathing to be a ritual but then I've known some people that make a BIG ritual out of it. Bubble bath, a few scented candles, a little wine or champagne.. ooo-la-la! Very Happy All they'd need to do is add the religious connotation to it. (somthing besides moaning "Oh god! Ooooh God!" Razz )

Laughing Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:52 pm
Piffka wrote:
In the Catholic mass every single act is a ritual from the entrance of the priest, acolytes, etc. to their exit. The lighting of the candle reminds people that the Holy Spirit has been called upon. The mass recitation of the Apostle's Creed tells everybody each time what exactly they are agreeing to believe and which they believe is the same creed (though in the vernacular) of what the original Christians spoke and believed. That provides stability. It goes on and on.

Ritual is important and frankly, I think pomp can be, too (witness all the little girls who want big weddings). It is a mighty force, psychologically and sociologically speaking.

No commentz... Is this a Religion or a Ritualion ? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Mon 6 Oct, 2003 11:55 pm
ye110man wrote:
Piffka wrote:
Ritual is important and frankly, I think pomp can be, too (witness all the little girls who want big weddings). It is a mighty force, psychologically and sociologically speaking.

that gives me an idea for another criterion for the ideal religion.
25. polygomy!
26. promotion of safe free sex.

Rolling Eyes You definitely seem to be inspired by Oshoizm ? Rolling Eyes No Morality at all...
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 12:17 am
akaMechsmith wrote:
Singh,

I am afraid that any discussion of religion must first define "religion".

But ofcourse... I agree.

Is religion a personal philosophy, relating to how one should behave and conduct ones affairs with his fellow man?

Well... I believe Relgion is purely a personal thing... Nobody has the right to force me to follow anything but its my own sweet will...

Is religion a personal philosophy, relating as to how to avoid death?

Death... is an eternal fact... Noone is beyond it... except the Almighty , Who is beyond anything... Once we realise this we will not be afraid of Death...

Is religion a method of securing benefits to the group, tribe, or nation to which he belongs?

Here comez the Politicz... We have made Religion a cheap tool of motivating people a particular community and make them fight over Religion...

Is religion a method of securing a paradise for eternity?

Can you define what is Paradise ? Or is it just an illustion.

Is religion a way of securing the sustenance required for existence?

We have made Religion like this only... Where a particular community enjoyz all the benefitz on the basis of caste and creed... and the rest suffer...

Is religion a way of answering the so called "ultimate questions"-- Why am I here. Why must we work-suffer. Where did we come from? Where are we going. Why must I die?

Have we found any definitive answer to any of these question yet... This is mere stupity and there is no wisdom in investing our time in seeking answers to these so called ultimate questionz coz there can no logical explantion... Just do you Karamz... Actz... that what we know we can do...

Historically religion has been shown to be a very poor friend to humanity, as a whole. It has been friendly only to those specific subgroups which have adopted a specific, but widely varying lifestyle.

I agree Religion has given more suffering to Humanity that any other thing in this world... We just can not take that the way followed by other Relgion is also approprite than we are following... reason we are not sure that our way of seeking the Ultimate Truth is right or wrong... I wonder how can we simply refure other faith just becasue they do not match with our ideology...

Consider the Hindi and Moslems, Jews and Moslems, Catholics and Protestants, Protestants and Spiritists, Catholics and Muslims, Jews and Lutherans, Athiests and Catholics.

I agree... Thatz what we are discussing an Ideal Relgion which can generally accepted IDEAL Relgion..

If religion is not the single most divisive threat to humanities progress ever known, I'd hate to know what is. Purple colored Supremicist Aliens from Alpha Centauri I'd imagine may be worse.

Lol Laughing Laughing I agree... Religion can be a way of living and NOT the only way of living...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 06:36 am
IDEAL Singh wrote:

Ideal Singh -- You have been treated with respect and whatever your religion is, it has not been denigrated. Rolling your eyes when someone tries to explain the beliefs behind a ritual is offensive.

The people who attend Catholic Mass consider these some of the most beautiful ritualized religious acts in the world, the main one being one that was articulated by their Christ. I ask you to have a little more respect if you want the same from me.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 06:43 am
IDEAL Singh wrote:
Well... I believe Relgion is purely a personal thing... Nobody has the right to force me to follow anything but its my own sweet will...

Well, if that is what you believe then why are you asking others what would be a part of any ideal religion? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 06:47 am
<fishin' counters with the double eyeroll...>
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 06:48 am
Piffka wrote:
IDEAL Singh wrote:

Ideal Singh -- You have been treated with respect and whatever your religion is, it has not been denigrated. Rolling your eyes when someone tries to explain the beliefs behind a ritual is offensive.

The people who attend Catholic Mass consider these some of the most beautiful ritualized religious acts in the world, the main one being one that was articulated by their Christ. I ask you to have a little more respect if you want the same from me.

Oh ! I apologise for if I hurt you. Not my intention to hurt anybody. We are just exploring the possiblities not forcing our beliefz on anybody. I would take care of it.

Thanx for guiding me...

Regardz
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 06:50 am
Apology accepted.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 06:50 am
fishin' wrote:
IDEAL Singh wrote:

Well, if that is what you believe then why are you asking others what would be a part of any ideal religion? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

But then why are you replying ? Did I force you to reply or follow anything !!
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 06:57 am
I am asking a simple question Why is Ritualizm a part of Religion ?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 06:59 am
IDEAL Singh wrote:

I replied because I thought you were asking the question earnestly. Obviously, you weren't.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:10 am
fishin' wrote:
IDEAL Singh wrote:

I replied because I thought you were asking the question earnestly. Obviously, you weren't.

Ok Letz cool it off... There is no point in playing the blame gamez... I am asking question in earnest. So please remain in discussion, I honestly take back that rahter harsh quote above. Smile

Let us continue with the question... Why Ritualizm is a part of Religion ?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:15 am
Ritualism, with an 'S', is a part of any religion, personal or organized, as it helps focus one's attention on meditative thought, one's personal 'god' figure, etc. The ritual itself can be completely personal, it doesn't have to be connected with any established 'church' or teaching. Most people can't simply carry 'god' in their hearts without being able to focus, and that's what ritual helps us do in today's busy world.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:15 am
Brainwashing...instituting submission of masses... indoctrination...
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:16 am
Sofia, that is true of how organized religion treats ritual, but personal ritual for a personal religion is quite a different animal.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:20 am
cavfancier wrote:
Ritualism, with an 'S'

Is this too a superstition that we should spell Ritualizm with 'S' ? Laughing
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:22 am
Ritual (empty or not) is an important aspect of being human. It can be of particular use in trying to get/hold/regain/keep a relationship with whatever Lord/God/Gods/Goddesses that you believe in. Historically this is true. Some of that ritual has been left behind. But many people are now coming up with their own rituals that the see as meaningful to them, or taking up very old rituals and accepting the meaning behind them. One might be the small prayers that a profoundly Jewish person may have at each doorway into their home... and the short prayer that is said as they enter.

Another may be as simple as always saying "I love you" when a member of the family goes out the door. If it takes you out of the mundane for even a moment, then I think a ritual is worthwhile.

Some people have a fear of this, and indeed, an empty ritual is like profanity to me. Most profanity is prayer without meaning, said in anger.

Doing good works can never be wrong, imo. Doing them with ritual, even something so small as a prayer for help or a recognition that the act is to improve humanity's state... well, that, to me, makes it more meaningful. Ritual shows an understanding that there is history behind you.

And THAT is why I think any ideal religion needs ritual. Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:24 am
Singh, I was an English major...not superstition, and I'm happy to continue with your discussions, but internet spelling irks me a little. No hard feelings. Laughing Incidentally, I get your point.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 7 Oct, 2003 07:31 am
I think I'd better define ritual for myself.
When I say I Love You to someone, it isn't a ritual, to me. Bathing isn't a ritual, to me.

Cav--what personal rituals are you talking about? Doesn't a ritual denote a mindless, repetitive act?
0 Replies