IDEAL Religion...

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 08:55 am
Hi,

This is my very first post here in awesome forum...

So, What do you think should be ingrediantz of an generaly IDEAL Religion ? Plz share...

Thanx
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,092 • Replies: 114
No top replies

fishin

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 08:56 am
The ideal religion would be one that no one knew existed. Wink
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:00 am
So you mean to say there is generaly no ideal religion?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:03 am
No ideal religion exists, but if we could recognize our collective consciousness, we might just start getting along. But...someone would probably turn that into a religion.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:09 am
I'm reading Julian, by Gore Vidal, and it is moving quickly toward analysis of a closely related subject.

Julian made his life's work the destruction of Christianity--because he thought it would ruin the world.... but he favored the worship of Hellenstic gods....? Why is the worship of one better or worse than the other, societally speaking? Isn't all religion divisive?
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:10 am
Do you think Religion should be a way of life... and not the only way of life ?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:11 am
Embarrassed Forgot my manners.
WELCOME IDEAL SINGH!!!!
Glad to have you here!
Interesting thread.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:12 am
Quote:
So you mean to say there is generaly no ideal religion?

In a round about manner.

Your question "What are the ingredients for an ideal religion?" is a bit like asking "What terminal disease would you like to get?".

Wouldn't it be better not to have a terminal disease at all?
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:20 am
Sophia, Julian was an excellent book describing how religion always seems to develop into corruption; becoming increasingly destrutive to the society in which it is practiced.

Cav's answer is exactly what I fear would happen if everyone accepted the idea that a collective consciousness was good for society and individuals (I happen to believe it would be a positive thing).

There will always be someone who feels obliged to formalize and institutionalize anything that is accepted by a group of people, effectively changing the most important characteristics of what would otherwise be an open and honest practice.

I would be interested in your ideas on the subject, IDEAL Singh.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 09:23 am
Diane-- I'm really enjoying it so far. Vidal almost never disappoints.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 10:10 am
How about a Religion tolerant of every other Religion and not biased to itz followerz only... ?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 10:22 am
Can it be a religion if it is fully tolerant of other religions and biased towards its followers only? Isn't that kind of the point of a religion... that there is one true way, and those who are imbued with wisdom by the one true higher power will show you that way?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 10:22 am
Tolerance is a very good thing!

(Welcome Ideal Singh!)

I think an ideal religion should be tolerant, inside and outside itself and allow for the natural way of humans whom I believe start out good and honest and kind. It should have some interesting rituals with candles & incense and excellent music that lets your soul soar.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 10:30 am
(Yes, welcome! You know you've asked an interesting question when we tumble to answer and forget social niceties. Smile)
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Fri 3 Oct, 2003 10:34 am
Thank you everybody for welcoming in this Forum... I am already loving it... Have to go know but i will be back for sure... till then letz continue with this nice little discussion...

Reagrdz.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:29 am
sozobe wrote:
Can it be a religion if it is fully tolerant of other religions and biased towards its followers only? Isn't that kind of the point of a religion... that there is one true way, and those who are imbued with wisdom by the one true higher power will show you that way?

So you mean there should be no Tolerance at all? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:33 am
I think that a lot of us, in our definition of 'religion' are most likely thinking 'politics'. Religion politicized has been the greatest blight on our society, IMO. We should keep in mind that Singh did choose the term 'Ideal' over 'One true'....just something to mull over.
0 Replies

IDEAL Singh

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:35 am
cavfancier wrote:
I think that a lot of us, in our definition of 'religion' are most likely thinking 'politics'. Religion politicized has been the greatest blight on our society, IMO. We should keep in mind that Singh did choose the term 'Ideal' over 'One true'....just something to mull over.

Exactly
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:37 am
Wink That's why your query is so interesting. I'll be back.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 4 Oct, 2003 10:39 am
What I was asking is can it be a religion if it is not about the "one true way"? It can be a philosophy... it can be a community... it can be a behavioral code... but can it be a religion?
0 Replies