cool or cold

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 08:45 am
When describing drinks which have been in the fridge for a long time, do we say the drinks are 'cold' or 'cool'?

Thanks in advance.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,063 • Replies: 9
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 08:52 am
That would depend upon just what setting your refrigerator was set at. Usually, though, i would think that Americans would describe a drink taken from the refrigerator as "cold." In the American South, that is a set expression. Someone offering you hospitality, but wishing to avoid the issue of whether or not you want something with alcohol in it would ask you: "Would you like a cold drink?" In many parts of the South, there are areas in which the sale of alcoholic beverages is illegal, or illegal at certain times or on certain days. Most of the "soft drinks" (meaning non-alcoholic) popular in America--such as Pepsi Cola (New Bern, North Carolina), Coca-Cola (Atlanta, Georgia) or Dr. Pepper (somewhere in Texas, Dallas perhaps?)--were originally developed in southern states, because of the prohibition laws of those states. That, i suspect, is the reason that the set expression "cold drink" arose there at the beginning of the last century.
chai2

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 08:57 am
@Setanta,
Set, you are like a cool drink of water on a hot summer day.
Setanta

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 09:04 am
@chai2,
Oh Baby, Oh Baby ! ! !
farmerman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 09:26 am
@Setanta,
There is a song by the SOns of the Pioneers called "cool water" which is about a guy who is travelling with his horse, Dan, and who all need a drink of "COOOOOL CLEAR< WATER water water water "
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 09:29 am
I believe Dr. Pepper was invented in Waco, Texas.
farmerman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 09:46 am
@mac11,
does anyone really give a ****. The kid asks for the timeand you guys tell him how to build a clock
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 11:02 am
@mac11,
I don't really know, except that it was in Tejas . . . i have read, but cannot vouch for, a claim that the inventor had sued for the hand of a gentleman in Virginia, Dr. Pepper, who refused. Therefore, when he started his soft drink company, he decided to immortalize the man whose intransigence lead him to his entrepreneurial effort.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 11:08 am
Oops . . . that doesn't read correctly . . . he sued for the hand of the daughter of a gentleman in Virginia . . .
farmerman

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 11:35 am
@Setanta,
Im sure that Dr Tang gives a steamy one.
0 Replies