I am in so much trouble....

boomerang

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 09:05 pm
Biscuit and Diamond are great pals. We dog pile on Mo's bed for story time every night then Diamond usually sleeps with Mo and Biscuit sleeps with me.

Biscuit was a rescue from a meth lab. She is the mellowist cat anyone ever saw. She was hardly interested in new cat. (I kind of want to name her Arbuckle since she's so fat but Mo is stuck on Godzilla.) Biscuit sniffed around the door a bit, nudged it open, growled at the new cat, sniffed it's but and came to me for a tickle. No worries.

Diamond is fascinated. He's never been a senior member of the family so he's not sure what his role is.

What a crazy day.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 10:42 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:
I was just going out to fetch Biscuit to see what happens. I'll give that a try!

I should have noted that it usually would take some time, as in keeping the new cat in the room a day or two. If either cat freaks or gets territorial (urinating, etc) out I'd give this a try, and put the new cat in a bathroom (with litter, food and water) while letting the old cat build up familiarity with the smell.

I'd also recommend keeping separate food bowls for a while, especially if you feed them at specific times instead of leaving food out all day. I once saw a new cat introduced swimmingly till mealtime when it crept up to the old cat's food bowl, after which it didn't go well at all and after the resulting scuffle the new cat was suspicious of the old cat for weeks.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 11:17 pm
@boomerang,
I've had best luck showing new cat the litter pan, and letting them sort things out themselves. I've tried other ways, and this has worked best with the furry little balls of temprements I've brought home.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 11:42 pm
One thing you might want to check on, if the friend knows, is if the cat is up to date on its shots. If the previous owner was elderly and ill, shots for an indoor cat may not have been a priority.

If you're going to transition it into an outdoor cat, you'll definitely want to be sure the protective shots are up to date considering the woodsy area you live in.
msolga

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 01:34 am
@Butrflynet,
Excellent point, Butrflynet!

Not just if it's going to be an outdoor cat, but for its own protection & the protection of boomerang's other cat. It mightn't have had shots for quite a while now.

Boomerang, I'm absolutely delighted you didn't get into trouble! I really like the sound of your household! And I love a happy ending to such stories. Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 02:54 am
@boomerang,
Nothing to add but good wishes!!!

If there's a heaven, you just got even closer to it.

Hey.....our cunning plan is bearing fruit....has anyone noticed how the A2k cat clan is quietly increasing?

Think it's accidental, hmmmmmmmmmmmm?????????

0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 10:24 am
@Butrflynet,
If the cat is going to go outside, it's important to have a vet inject an id chip in it's body so it can be identified if it strayed and be returned to you.

BBB
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 11:07 am
I'm glad Mr. B wasn't mad, he had every reason to be because we're working on calmness right now and introducing new animials is pretty contrary to that.

I would like to give her some time to adjust before taking her to the vet. I will try to get the name of her last vet from my neighbor though.

We got through last night with only one skirmish and I have had to remind the dog that I make the rules about who comes in the house, not him. Godzilla has found a few hidey-holes where she feels comfortable so things are going pretty well.

She's extraordinarily affectionate, really liking to be held and cuddled and that has made her a big hit with Mo.

After doing a little research, I'm thinking she might be a Maine coon cat.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 02:02 pm
Here's some photos of Godzilla, one to show you her face and one trying to give you an idea of her size:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/godzilla1.jpg

This is Godzilla sleeping on my desk. My desk is about 2 feet wide, so she has to lay at an angle. That's a standard size computer keyboard, she dwarfs it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/boomerangagain/godzilla2.jpg
Linkat

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 02:11 pm
@chai2,
Mine too - one of my cats will sniff at the "outdoors" a bit, but wants nothing to do with it. We can leave the door wide open and he will not attempt to go outside.

He is such a wimp - he prefers the temperature controlled world and comfort of indoors. He would be terrified of the outdoors.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 05:15 pm
@boomerang,
Purdy face. She reminds me of a cat I used to have, called Princess. She wasn't quite as big as Godzilla, but had similar mid-length long hair. In bright sunlight, her hair just exploded with sparkles of red highlights, but looked jet black at other times.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 05:03 am
@boomerang,

She's beautiful, boomerang. (But she looks nothing like a "Godzilla" to me! Wink)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 08:49 am
Yes, she is a pretty cat.

I guess Diamond decided that if I could have a new pet, he could too. When I sent him out to get the morning newspaper he came back to the door carrying a mole like a kitten. He was quite proud of himself!

I ordered him to drop it, he did. It scuttled away and fell into a basement window well where it stayed until Mo and Mr. B got up.

The mole has now been relocated to the field by Mr. B's office.

Diamond is kind of upset that I didn't let him keep his "kitten".
Linkat

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 10:53 am
@boomerang,
My indoor cats used to do this with leaves when I lived in a condo that had a balacony. I would let them out on the balcony because I knew they were wimps and wouldn't try to get down. When it was windy, they would catch leaves and proudly bring them in and stack them up as a gift.

He does look like a coon cat - I knew some one who used have coon cats. They are sweet loveable big kitties.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 12:05 pm
I thought she might be a coon cat because she has really long tufts of fur on her ears and feet, a really brushy tail, shaggy, dense fur and she's so freaking huge. When I was looking around that seemed to be the main features of a coon cat. I don't really know anything about them.

Catching leaves as gifts is too funny. My pets have caught quite a few things but have never killed any of them, they like to bring them in live and play with them until I take them away.
Linkat

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 02:06 pm
@boomerang,
Yeah they're great hunters. The lazy good for nothings can't even catch a bug. When a bug gets in the house, they simply surround it and look at it, then look at me - I have to kill it.
chai2

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 06:41 pm
@boomerang,
boomerang wrote:

With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
He pulls the spitting high tension wires down, Godzilla!

Helpless people on subway trains
Scream BUG-EYED as he looks in on them, Godzilla!

He picks up a bus and he throws it back down
As he wades through the buildings toward the center of town, Godzilla!

Oh no, they say he's got to go
Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go Godzilla, yeah

Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go Godzilla, yeah

Rinji news o moshiagemasu!
Rinji news o moshiagemasu!
Godzilla ga Ginza hoomen e mukatte imasu!
Daishkyu hinan shite kudasai!
Daishkyu hinan shite kudasai!
(Attention, emergency news!
Attention, emergency news!
Godzilla is going toward the Ginza area!
Immediately escape, catch up, find shelter please!
Immediately escape, catch up, find shelter please!)

Go go Godzilla, yeah
Oh no, there goes Tokyo
Go go Godzilla, yeah

History shows again and again
How nature points out the folly of men
Godzilla!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 06:47 pm
@Linkat,
Mine are exactly the same with bugs. Pest control my bare heinie!
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 07:03 pm
Well, we're right next to Maine here in MA, and I was under the impression that one of the defining characteristics of Maine Coon Cats was an extra claw on at least their front feet, so it looked like they had kind of a "thumb"(but the claw's not actually functional). Maybe not. I'll have to google it. Ah ha, polydactylism was indeed one of the characteristics of up to 40% of coon cats originally, but show cats can't have the extra toe, so apparently it was almost bred out of them, until clubs of cat fanciers were formed specifically for cats with extra toes. Who knew? Google "Maine coon". It;s an adaptation for walking on snow, like a snowshoe. That's Maine fer ya.
boomerang

Reply Tue 5 May, 2009 09:48 pm
@MontereyJack,
That's funny. I checked this cat to see if it had extra toes just because it's paws are so big. My sister has several "unusual" cats, including a polydactyl, so I'm not unfamiliar with oversized feet. This cat has the normal amount of toes.

I get the feeling that Maine coon cats are the border collies of the cat world -- first bred for temperment and then bred for looks.

My dog's mother was border collie but not the agreed upon black/white/long haired/dog show variety.

I am a connoisseur of mutt animals so I don't really care what vintage this cat is but sometimes you can learn things by investigating breeds.

So far things are going pretty good. Godzilla discovered that we have a basement and spent most of today sleeping deeply down there. I don't want her to be a basement, isolation cat so when I though she'd had enough rest I dragged her out to spend the evening with the rest of us.

In addition to being very affectionate, she has been very playful tonight.

I'm going to have to ponder indoor cat amusements......