Influence of Spanish on American English?

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 10:05 am
I am more interested in the influence of Spanish on South-Western accents of American English than vocabulary loans from Spanish. Do you have any information on that, from personal observations perhaps? Are non-Hispanic people from California beginning to adopt some pronunciation features from Hispanics? Do you think Spanish could have a significant influence on Am.English in the future?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 3,281 • Replies: 3

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 12:02 pm
@imsocool123,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicano_English#Phonological_features

Quote:

So ship and sheep are pronounced like the latter.

Final consonant deletion

The rules of Spanish allow only [n], [l], [s], [r], and [y] to occur at the end of words. All other single consonants in English would thus be unfamiliar to Chicano English speakers in this environment.

"Most" becomes "mos"; "Felt" becomes "fell", "Start"becomes"star".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuyorican_English

Quote:

0 Replies

chai2

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 01:06 pm
@imsocool123,
imsocool123 wrote:

I am more interested in the influence of Spanish on South-Western accents of American English than vocabulary loans from Spanish. Do you have any information on that, from personal observations perhaps? Are non-Hispanic people from California beginning to adopt some pronunciation features from Hispanics? Do you think Spanish could have a significant influence on Am.English in the future?

Why the concern with only the Mexican accent effecting English spoken in South Western states?

There's also the Cuban accent of the South East, and the Puerto Rican accent of the North West. There are a lot of Cubans in the North East also

Then there's the whole slew of various South American Accents.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 09:27 pm
@imsocool123,
imsocool123 wrote:

Do you think Spanish could have a significant influence on Am.English in the future?

Sure. But I do not think people will realize it. The old comedic line, "I threw my mother from the train a kiss," reflects the syntax of another language, I believe, not English (correct: I threw a kiss to my mother from the train).
0 Replies