Dont mess with grandpa

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 08:06 am
http://www.komonews.com/news/local/43601852.html

Quote:
TACOMA, Wash. -- Ted Mazetier may be a grandfather, but at 84 years old, he's still got his chops.

And two men learned that the hard way.

Mazetier was driving down South Proctor Street Wednesday night when he spotted a car on the curb and two guys standing nearby. He thought they needed help, so he stopped.

But as soon as he pulled over, the two men pounced.

"The guy comes over to my car, and unfortunately my window was open, because he cold-cocked me. I mean, just sucker-punched me. Just bam!" Mazetier said.

The punch left quite a shiner on Mazetier.

"It hurts. It hurts right now," he said.

But he wasn't about to take a beating sitting down.

You see, Mazetier is a World War II veteran who also happened to spend his entire career watching over criminals imprisoned in the U.S. penal system. In short, he can handle trouble.

"When I opened the door, he started toward me and I kicked him in the balls," he said.

When the other man charged, Mazetier put his feet up and kicked him in the belly.

"He kind of bent a little and went down. And I went around the guy and I'm in the street, and I'm waving for cars to stop and, you know, help."

The two men fled, not having gotten whatever they were looking for.

Moments later, a passerby came to Mazetier's aid. That person had happened to get a glimpse of the fleeing men, and described them to police.

"And so the next thing I know, I was in the hospital and when the cops came in the hospital - the same ones that interviewed me - they said, 'We got 'em.' And I said, 'Thank God.'" Mazetier said.

Tacoma police believe the same two men assaulted another victim earlier in the evening in the same part of town.

Mazetier is recovering, still dealing with the shiner and the shock.

"It's wrong. It's absolutely wrong," he said

I like this old man!!!!!
And I would love to hear the two animals that attacked him try and explain how an old man took both of them down to their buddies in jail.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,318 • Replies: 15

DrewDad

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 09:29 am
And he didn't eve have a gun!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 09:32 am
@mysteryman,
How on earth was he able to stop their attack without killing them? Isn't killing the only way to stop such an attack MM?
chai2

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 09:36 am
@parados,
I think MM just shot himself in the foot.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 01:59 pm
@parados,
The only way? No

Is it a justifiable way? Yes
eoe

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 04:36 pm
@mysteryman,
I'll take that a step further and say hell yes!

Good job Mr Mazetier!
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sat 25 Apr, 2009 09:42 pm
@mysteryman,
Ah, yes, but in your scenario in another thread you act as if it is the only way.

It is one of last resort perhaps but for it to become the first choice shows an inability to think in other than kill or not kill. There are several options to stopping an attack without killing. There are several options to getting information without torture. This thread shows you should know better than to present killing as the ONLY response to an attack.
mysteryman

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 10:53 am
@parados,
I have never said that killing was the only way to defend yourself in an attack.
BUT, when you are attacked, you have every right to use deadly force to defend yourself.
But in my opinion killing your attackers is the best way to defend yourself, and society at large.

If these 2 animals that attacked this old man had been killed by him, it would have been justified.

When you choose to attack an innocent person, you choose to accept the consequences.
Up to and including death.
dyslexia

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 11:01 am
@mysteryman,
some time ao I was awakened late at night by Sally dog, I went to the garage (which was open but not lighted) and saw 2 young men across the street in the process of stealing a tire from the truck of my neighbor, I was armed. do you think I shot at them?
parados

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 11:03 am
@mysteryman,
Quote:
I have never said that killing was the only way to defend yourself in an attack.
Actually, you DID present it as the only option in this post MM.

http://able2know.org/topic/131706-3#post-3632203

Your opinion is based on your principles. Yet you assumed that the only way someone with other principles can defend themselves is by killing. It was a false argument

When you capture someone that is a terrorist, you have every right to interrogate them but that doesn't equate to having the right to torture them. Saying you have the right to torture them is again a matter of your principles it seems. But that doesn't make your principles moral or legal or the only option as you try to portray it.
eoe

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 11:34 am
@dyslexia,
Maybe not AT them but a warning over their heads would have been appropriate, IMO. Scare the **** out of them.
mysteryman

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 11:53 am
@dyslexia,
Were they physically threatening them or your neighbor?
If they werent, then killing them would have been questionable.

If they had advanced towards you and threatened you then killing them would have been a correct course of action.
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 11:56 am
@parados,
How do you get me saying that killing is the only option from me asking a question?

And waht does the attempted attack on an old man have to do with terrorism?
The old man was attacked by punks, not terrorists.
roger

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 03:31 pm
@eoe,
Warning shots are a really bad idea for all sorts of reasons.

To the main topic; it would be so great if all of us, at age 84, could stand off two such thugs without being armed. If it happened very often, it wouldn't be news.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Sun 26 Apr, 2009 06:23 pm
@mysteryman,
This was your question MM
Quote:
If your principles tell you that killing is wrong, would you abandon those principles to defend yourself or your kids?
Or would you let your kids dies for the sake of your principles?
There is no room left in your question for defense other than killing.
If my principles say I won't kill that does not mean I won't defend my kids nor does it mean my kids will die if I don't kill. Your question presupposes that they will die unless I kill.

Since you don't think killing is the only option in your question then there is no question there at all MM since I wouldn't have to abandon my principles since defense is possible without killing.
DrewDad

Reply Mon 27 Apr, 2009 07:16 am
@parados,
The logical fallacy there is "begging the question".
0 Replies