CHIKEN POX TWICE???????

Izzie

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 02:14 pm
Little fella is pickled.......... rash coming up all over him and waiting for the doctor to call back. He had chicken pox BADLY when he was younger.... got a rash about a week ago which we thought were midgy bites from being outside in the evening.....

now he is pickling....

all over his adbdomen, under his arms and groin area (nasty nasty)....

whaddya reckon... it couldn't be chickenpox twice, could it?????? I can see the spots coming up as he sits here... one is about an inch big! NASTY!

Little worried too re my SLE - am immuno-compromised with the immunosuppresants that I take.....

oh............ started itching now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 13 • Views: 6,740 • Replies: 29
No top replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 02:17 pm
How old is he now, and how old was he when he got it the first time?
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 02:19 pm
http://www.umm.edu/patiented/articles/how_serious_chickenpox_shingles_000082_4.htm

Quote:
Recurrence of Chickenpox and Reactivation as Shingles

Recurrence of Chickenpox. Recurrence of chickenpox is possible, but uncommon. One episode of chickenpox usually means lifelong immunity against a second attack. However, people who have had mild infections may be at greater risk for a breakthrough infection later on.

Reactivation of the Virus as Shingles (Herpes Zoster). The major long-term complication of varicella is the later reactivation of the herpes zoster virus and the development of shingles. Shingles occurs in about 20% of people who have had chickenpox.
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 02:19 pm
@Izzie,
OK.......... the doctor has told us to get straight to hospital as he thinks this is an allergic reaction.....

oh my!!!!!!!!

back with ya when we get back.

edit: sorry DD didn't see ya there - S-boy is nearly 12...... the rash looks like hives........... he is absolutely pickling everywhere...

gotta dash

thanku
DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 02:25 pm
@Izzie,
Good luck.
mismi

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 02:34 pm
@DrewDad,
Thoughts are with you and S...praying.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 02:46 pm
Oy, that's a bummer. Hope everything will work out for S-Boy and yourself
too. Trips to the emergency are unavoidable when having kids. I can't remember how many times we've gone already (and probably still will go....)

Chickenpox is worrisome though. I never had it and my child is immunized
for it (me too now).

I keep my fingers crossed that it's just a little allergy that can be cured with
a cortisone shot.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 03:34 pm
Poison ivy?
JPB

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 03:36 pm
@DrewDad,
Yeah, that's what I was thinking, DD.

Hope it turns out to be something simple, Iz.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 03:42 pm
Hope all turns out well.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 03:54 pm
Hoping for the best.
Izzie

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 04:18 pm
@Roberta,
Oh my!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, that was all a bit scary.

He is/will be fine. He has PITYRIASIS ROSEA!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pityriasis_rosea

About a week ago he got a few spots on his tummy - he's been a little poorly, tired and had a "barking" cough...

then tonite..... all of a sudden - the rash appeared - took a pic earlier coz I was gonna post and ask but didn't have time to upload - just watching him - you could see more and more lesions appearing - ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh nasty nasty! He is completely pickled now - whole of his trunk and his armpits and groin are ........ covered!!!!!! Oooooooooooooh. Also down the back of his legs and on his bahookie.

The PRlesions will last for another 5 weeks or so! Have got to get him to the GP first thing in the morning to check on how much it has changed overnite and he may get steroid cream to put on. The doctor has put him on antihistamines overnite to try and calm the itching.

We did have to laugh tho coming back in the car .... he has Pityriasis Pits and Bits!!!! Bless him!

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk41/LzzieIzzie/DSC04186.jpg

Poor little fella!

He's gutted - it's the first day of term tomorrow and he desperately wanted to see his friends.

Guess we will be sitting on the sofa watching JES ON TV!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Razz <yay for Jes>

Thanks all - you guys are the first people I turn to, always! Thanku. x
djjd62

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 04:34 pm
good thing you got it figured out

poor kid
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 04:39 pm
@Izzie,
Well that looks downright uncomfortable!

I did a bit more reading --- cause unknown, possibly viral. Lots of information about what it isn't, but not very well understood other than it isn't contagious, it's not serious, and he'll only get it once!

Give him some hugs from me too, k?
Izzie

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 04:53 pm
@JPB,
thanku -

yeah he is uncomfortable at the moment - still can't get over how quickly it all appeared and how completely pickled he is now - he's finally gone off to sleep so hopefully the anitihistamines will stop him from itching all nite.

I called his Dad who lives a couple mins from the hospital and he met us there - his partner has a nasty tummy bug which started a couple hours ago and S-boy has been with them for the weekend ............ really really hoping he doesn't go down with that too! Ugh!

Just real glad it wasn't an allergic reaction - that's kinda scary when you live in the country. He'll be ticketyboo in a few weeks and should be able to go back to school this week if the doc OK's it tomorrow.

Ooof.... tired now.
msolga

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 05:18 pm
@Izzie,
I'm not at all surprised you're tired after all that, Iz.

Poor S-boy & poor you! Two weeks! Sigh.

Now don't you go catching it, hear!

Izzie

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 05:31 pm
@msolga,
ahhhhhhhhhh - it lasts about 6 weeks but really shouldnt bother him for that length of time - think this is the worst bit of it - and not contagious.... as in, normally is a low class viral infection and looks dramatic, but isn't physically a problem other than itchy. I have to see my regular GP tomorrow too re my immunosuppresants and see whether I need to stop taking them as I am pretty compromised right now - but the doctor we saw tonite said that he didn't think it was likely to cause me a problem. If it does - well, c'est la vie - not a lot I can do about it - can't stop hugging the kid a? Wink <wellll errrrrrr...... I did when he had chickenpox - mean 'ole Mom>

Will all be just fine I'm sure - ahhhhhhhhhhh.... just checked on him - he's away with the fairies (piraton has knocked him out now) and actually, the rash looks less "angry".... so that's a good sign Very Happy

edit: OH NOOOOO - just seen the title of this thread - CHICKEN without a "C" - pants... was in a bit of a doolally when posting - hate typos! Embarrassed
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 05:38 pm
Quick, Iz! Take a nap while you have the opportunity!
Sounds like it might be just what you need, right now! Smile
Izzie

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 05:48 pm
@msolga,
Yep - gonna settle down shortly 'tis nearly 1am - JES could be on the box anytime from 6am..... so can't trust the DVD recorder to work - gotta be up to watch her.

Thanks msolga.... hugs gal <passes the lysol spray> Wink
msolga

Reply Mon 20 Apr, 2009 05:54 pm
@Izzie,
Enjoy watching jespah (wish I could!) & try to take it very easy, OK? Or as easy as you can, Iz. Smile
0 Replies