"Mad Men": Anybody else watching/watched it, and love it?

msolga

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 08:55 pm
@msolga,
... & those opening credits ...
(Guess who's addicted? Wink )

0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 09:13 pm
@msolga,
Lovely to "see" you again, too, Olga.

I'm around occasionally, but don't seem to have the time to do anything but scroll through the new posts late at night, before bed. Working at home is good in some ways, not so good in others ...

Big changes by the end of season 3, oh, yes!

I think season 5 is guaranteed. I read an article saying that the creator, Matthew Weiner, said that the show should end by the 5th or 6th season, but that the studio that produces it may have other ideas, wanting to continue it longer.
msolga

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 09:23 pm
@mckenzie,
Quote:
Big changes by the end of season 3, oh, yes!

Yes? I will restrain myself & watch all the episodes, one by one, Mac! (though patience isn't my strong point & I'm itching to know!)

Quote:
I think season 5 is guaranteed. I read an article saying that the creator, Matthew Weiner, said that the show should end by the 5th or 6th season, but that the studio that produces it may have other ideas, wanting to continue it longer.

Gosh, series 5 & possibly more! Surprised
Are you finding that the quality has been maintained in series 4?
(I really hope that they don't do a good show to death by stringing it out for too long! Seen that happen many a time.)

Quote:
I'm around occasionally, but don't seem to have the time to do anything but scroll through the new posts late at night, before bed. Working at home is good in some ways, not so good in others ...

That's a real shame, Mac.
You sound too busy by far, too me!
I hope you'll turn up on this thread when you're able to, though ... in case I need to extract information about future episodes out of you! (though I know you'll say no! As usual ... ) Wink

mckenzie

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2010 09:41 pm
@msolga,
If you're really itching to know, the show has a website with recaps of all the episodes, but it's more fun to watch, right? (Says the person who reads the last chapter of a book midway through, lol).

So far, no, they're not stringing it out, it's a new direction, shall we say ...

Keep watching!

You're a sweetheart, Olga. Thanks.

msolga

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:12 pm
@mckenzie,
Spoiler: DON'T READ THIS, DEB! (& anyone else who hasn't yet seen series 3) AVERT YOUR EYES! Smile

Quote:
Keep watching!

Oh I have been, Mac!

Last night (first opportunity for a bit) I watched 5 episodes! (Joan has retired from Stirling Cooper, Grandfather Gene has died, Peggy has applied for equal pay & been refused, the new hierarchy at Stirling Cooper is announced only to last a day after the "tractor incident" at Joan's farewell party! ( Shocked ) ... and, and ...

But I'd better stop, for spoiler reasons, yes?

I'm thoroughly engrossed!

The plot thickens & thickens ....
msolga

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 07:58 pm
@msolga,
I promise no to do that again, Deb. Until you've watched series 3, that is!
dlowan

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:01 pm
@msolga,
I didn't read you!!! You warned me.
msolga

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2010 08:06 pm
@dlowan,
And you didn't! Surprised
Well done!
(I would have! You're much stronger willed, obviously! Razz )

Here's the Simpson's parody of Mad Men's intro.
(you can watch this, if you like, Deb. No harm will be done. Wink )

0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 Aug, 2010 08:25 pm
One more episode (of series 3) to go.
(Without going into any details..) Wow, things are really changing ... fast!
I don't think I'll be able to hang on to know what happens next, in series 4.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 12:46 pm
Season 4 is just as strong, although everyone's gone in new directions.

I was actually yelling at the screen at one point last nite. Unbelievable turn of events.
mac11

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:11 pm
I enjoyed reading from the beginning of this thread. I had forgotten some plot points and can't quite recall how or if they were resolved. (Probably weren't.) No spoilers here, just thoughts on previous seasons.

--What ever happened with Betty's hand problem? Was it just nerves/boredom? Was it solved by taking up riding and having affairs? And what was the deal with the scene when she was shooting (was it birds?) in the backyard? That seemed completely out of character - maybe that was the point.

--What's happened to Peggy's baby? Is her sister raising him? If this was explained, I've completely forgotten. Or maybe I missed part of an episode at some point.

--How is it that Joan is so bossy and in charge at work and in her relationship with Roger, but seems so willing to be passive with her husband?

Thoughts?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 6 Sep, 2010 09:26 pm
@mac11,
Quote:
--What ever happened with Betty's hand problem? Was it just nerves/boredom?
as I recall, yes

Quote:
And what was the deal with the scene when she was shooting (was it birds?) in the backyard? That seemed completely out of character - maybe that was the point
It shows her anger, which we see often, for instance when she is slugging one of her kids or having an affair to get back at her husband.

Quote:
--What's happened to Peggy's baby? Is her sister raising him?
I thought it was her mother. This rarely comes up because the point is that Peggy has moved on, she has no attachment to this kid, at least consciously. This also ties into Peggies feeling about family, she will be the dutiful daughter and sister, but she clearly does not have much use for family, nor much desire to form a family with a guy. a kid is family, Peggy is all about work and ******* guys, family is a pain in the butt to her.

Quote:
--How is it that Joan is so bossy and in charge at work and in her relationship with Roger, but seems so willing to be passive with her husband
She is trying to be the good wife, she is not wanting to take her liberation in the working world back to her home. As far as Roger goes, she knows from long experience that every guy wants her, she has learned to be in the drivers seat there.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 01:55 am
@mac11,
Quote:
Season 4 is just as strong, although everyone's gone in new directions.

That's good to know, mac. Though I wonder about all these new directions!
I want to get my hands on series 4 immediately!

Quote:
I was actually yelling at the screen at one point last nite. Unbelievable turn of events.

Really? You were actually yelling at the screen? Why, why, why? (Don't tell me! Smile )
I am dying to know!
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 7 Sep, 2010 02:27 am
@mac11,
Quote:
--What ever happened with Betty's hand problem? Was it just nerves/boredom? Was it solved by taking up riding and having affairs? And what was the deal with the scene when she was shooting (was it birds?) in the backyard? That seemed completely out of character - maybe that was the point.

I figured it was "nerves". As a result of living that "good wife" suburban life .. which she was so unhappy with & unsuited to. While her husband in Manhattan ...
But what happened to her "nerves"?
Not too much of that earlier nervy Betty in series 3. Rather a sudden jump, I thought.

Quote:
--What's happened to Peggy's baby?

I honestly have no idea, mac. I figured the baby was adopted out "to a good family situation", as was the custom at the time. In more recent times she might well have considered keeping it. And perhaps as a single mother?

Quote:
--How is it that Joan is so bossy and in charge at work and in her relationship with Roger, but seems so willing to be passive with her husband?

No, no, mac! She wasn't "bossy"! Smile
She was just good at her job & adopted the necessary personae to excel. The trouble was, being excellent in her job was considered secondary to meeting the "man of her dreams" & settling down to putting all her efforts into the marriage. Women resigned from work (as she & Betty did) to put all their efforts into creating successful marriages. And they stood by their man. (Though clearly, she hasn't made a great choose of husband! Wink )
They were expected to be subservient to their husbands' requirements as family heads & sole breadwinners & most accepted that role. At the start, anyway ...
Having just finished series 3, I predict her marriage has as little future as Betty's did. Disillusionment will probably not take too long. If she was going to marry at all, she should have married an equal. However she has the nous & the talent to move on & land on her feet. Besides, the times are changing very fast indeed. Big changes coming up in how women see themselves!

0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 15 Jan, 2011 02:46 pm
http://www.amctv.com/originals/madmen/madmenyourself/
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 04:45 am
A question to Mad Men fans in Oz. Deb? :
Does anyone know what's happened with series 4 here?
It hasn't been shown on SBS, I'm pretty sure.
Maybe on Foxtel, or such?
I'm kinda annoyed. Should have been shown ages ago!
dlowan

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 05:35 am
@msolga,
I don't know.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 07:11 am
(I built my avatar at the Mad Men website - love that site)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 06:39 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
I don't know.

No one seems to know, Deb.
It just seems to have vanished like a puff of smoke! Confused Sad Neutral
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 27 Mar, 2011 07:01 pm
@msolga,
Quote:
It just seems to have vanished like a puff of smoke!
it has a lot of buzz, but not a lot of viewers even in the US. I bet that the economics do not work down under, that you will be forced to stream it or get it on DVD. Do you have Netflixs, or something like it? I hear on the net that you can get it from FOXTEL