"Mad Men": Anybody else watching/watched it, and love it?

dlowan

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 07:27 am
@msolga,
Here's an odd thing.

Research on happiness that I have read suggests that being somewhat interrupted by ads makes our enjoyment of a beloved show greater.....
msolga

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 07:40 am
@dlowan,
The researchers got it wrong...

The ads dilute & distract from the story.

Watching without the ads was like changing from b & w to technicolour! So much more intense!

However, the ads (when one is watching the TV) do make it possible to make a cuppa, or to visit to the toilet without missing too much of the action.... which is a reason for happiness, I guess! Smile
dlowan

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 07:50 am
@msolga,
Yes...I tend to be a wandering TV viewer....up and down.....not infrequently I get up and never come back.

DVD viewing is way more intense.

Thing is, I also seldom get lost in a book in the same way I used to.....I just seem a lot more distractable and restless.

Why I love going to the cinema. Very few distractions.

My back may be up to it soon...or eeven now!!!!

I am negotiating stairs normally, if slowly and clinging to the rail, and the bad leg hasn't collapsed on me since Saturday!!

(Touch wood)

The likely killer will be doing a full day's Intake tomorrow.....it often gets so intense that you have no time to get up and move about, and that could set me right back.

Crossing fingers!

msolga

Reply Tue 4 Aug, 2009 07:59 am
@dlowan,
I agree about the DVD viewing being more intense. And the cinema. I love watching a film at the cinema I usually frequent in Carlton. A number of very small cinema "theatres". And always a very respectful audience. Makes for a very intense viewing experience.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Aug, 2009 05:25 am
roccks wrote:

The countdown has begun for the third season of Mad Men, the popular AMC Network series. The season would hit our TV screens on August 16, 2009. And, the network has released a short promo of the upcoming season in order to let the fans know what Mad Men season 3 would be like.

Oh boy!!
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Sun 16 Aug, 2009 09:25 pm
Season 3 started with a bang. Well, several bangs.

But I think I need to rent Season 2 to remind myself where we left off. I'm a little fuzzy on the details.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 12:08 am
msolga, did Deb lend you season 1 or season 2?
mckenzie

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 12:15 am
Our cable provider doesn't carry Mad Men (which is why we purchased seasons 1 and 2), BUT my daughter's cable provider does (big grin), so they're going to record the episodes for us every week starting tonight. He's a huge fan too, so they won't forget. Happy, happy, happy!!!

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 12:16 am
@mckenzie,
I haven't received season 2 myself yet...so it was 1.
mckenzie

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 12:20 am
@dlowan,
Did you order season 2? If not, I have no need to hold on to the DVDs any longer.
mckenzie

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 12:25 am
@dlowan,
I'd be happy to send season 2 down to Oz for both you and msolga, Deb.
msolga

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 02:22 am
@mckenzie,
What an unbelievably generous offer, mckenzie! Surprised

But I believe Deb is expecting series 2 to arrive on her doorstep, any time!

Me, I'm sorely tempted, but would hate to put you to all that trouble.

Thank you so much for offering, though! Very Happy
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 02:51 am
@mckenzie,
mckenzie wrote:

Did you order season 2? If not, I have no need to hold on to the DVDs any longer.

You're a dollink.

But...are you not in the USA?

If so, your DVDs are unlikely (although it is not impossible that they may, depending on our DVD players) to work on our DVD players....different zones you know.

My season should, as Msolga says, arrive soon......and I am happy to lend it to her once seen, so we shpuld be ok.

But thank you!
msolga

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2009 03:01 am
@dlowan,
Quote:
My season should, as Msolga says, arrive soon......and I am happy to lend it to her once seen, so we shpuld be ok.

Very Happy
dlowan

Reply Sat 22 Aug, 2009 01:02 am
@msolga,
DVDs despatched yesterday.

Now to see if Australia Post manages to get them here!!!!
dlowan

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 08:25 am
@dlowan,
Mad Men 2 arrived on Monday!!!

I've not looked at any of them yet.
mac11

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 09:43 am
Yippee!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 25 Aug, 2009 10:25 am
@dlowan,
Alas the editing on the latest Mad Men II is abrupt and disjointed, continuity really suffers...something that was never its strong suit.

I allow for artistic license but the latest just smells of (so to speak) cutting-room hurry-up. Well most things are digital now so there is no cutting-room floor mess anymore.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 04:35 pm
Quote:
The same applies to TV shows, including the otherwise excellent “Mad Men.” It is rare to find a review of the show that does not rave about the accuracy of its early 1960s styling, yet the “Mad Men” team is woefully sloppy when it comes to typography. Mark Simonson, a graphic designer in St. Paul, Minnesota, blogs about typographic misdemeanors on his Web site, www.marksimonson.com, and he once catalogued the flaws in “Mad Men.” The 1992 typeface, Lucida Handwriting, appears in an ad in the opening titles. Gill Sans, a British typeface designed in 1930 but rarely used in the United States until the 1970s, is used for office signage. A lipstick ad features one wholly appropriate 1958 font, Amazone, but two incongruous ones, 1978’s Balmoral and 1980’s Fenice. He noted lots of other clunkers too, but admits that he has spotted fewer new errors in the most recent episodes of “Mad Men.”

“I guess they must be doing a better job,” Mr. Simonson said

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/16/arts/16iht-design16.html?_r=1&hp

it comes as a surprise that Mad Men has been so sloppy
msolga

Reply Sun 15 Nov, 2009 04:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
Quote:
it comes as a surprise that Mad Men has been so sloppy

Admittedly I haven't seen the most recent series, but I'm really surprised at this criticism. I thought the period details were spot on. I haven't read the link you posted, but I think the comments in the extract are rather picky.Typography? I haven't even thought about it. I think Mad Men is absolutely wonderful! Can't wait for the next series to hit Oz television.