What level of risk would you assume for a pet?

BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 04:38 am
After reading the thread concerning if we should have a duty to assist/rescue someone who is a victim of a crime another question came into my mind.

What level of risk would you be willing to run to save/rescue a pet?

For myself I still feel guilty when sixteen years ago during an evacuation from an oncoming level four hurricane one of my cats had gotten loss and I decided that there was no time to stay around to try to get her back before leaving.

Even those afterward I spend a number of nights and days looking for her around the ruins of my former home and checked the pet rescue locations ETC I never did happen to find her.

In any case what level of risk to your well being and safety off hand would you feel comfortable assuming for a pet?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 2,308 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 05:20 am
@BillRM,
To me, it is a matter of priorities. I would do what I could to save a pet, but not at the possible expense of my own life.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 05:30 am
When you own life becomes at risk it's time to give up. What upsets me is when shelters refuse to take in pets and force people to abandon them. I think the Katrina disaster has made us take a new look at this policy and reforms for the better have been the result. There was a flood evacuation in my area last spring, and as part of the warning people where told to bring their pets in carriers and crates. The local fire department set up a separate area for the animals in a garage near the people shelter. It was deemed very successful because a number of people said they might not have left if they had to leave their pets behind. When I heard about this I donated a couple of old dog crates I no longer use so the fire department can keep them on hand for people who don't have crates of their own.
mismi

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 06:47 am
@Green Witch,
That's nice Green Witch - and a great idea.

I have almost wrecked my car trying to avoid a raccoon. It was instinctive - didn't think twice - I just wanted to miss it. I love my dogs, I can't imagine what I would do if their lives were in danger and I had to put myself in some kind of harms way...I don't think I would, but then I did that fish-tail, swervy thing over a raccoon....really just not sure.
Green Witch

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 07:39 am
@mismi,
Quote:
I have almost wrecked my car trying to avoid a raccoon.

I've done that for large blowing leaves. I don't see very well.
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 08:31 am
I agree you never indeed can know for sure what you would do or not do for a pet.

I would assume that a parent with obligations to children or anyone with a similar level of obligations would be and should be far less likely to place themselves at risk for a pet.

For myself without such obligations and after finding the long lasting emotional price to be paid for not acting, I would be incline to go fairly far into harm way for my silly and worthless cats if a situation seem to call for it in the future.

Thanks for your replies.

Robert Gentel

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 10:00 am
@BillRM,
That's exactly how I feel. If I had no immediate family, I'd probably be willing to risk a lot for my animals (well not the fish).
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 05:42 pm
On September 12, 2001, I spent part of the evening online looking for a gas mask for my cat, Mikey. Couldn't find one.

I remember very distinctly thinking, "Well, if he goes, I go."

I make no claims to sanity. Just tellin' ya what happened.
0 Replies

BarbieQPickle

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 07:33 pm
I would do anything.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 10 Apr, 2009 08:25 pm
@BillRM,
It's hard to know exactly what I'd do, for certain, until such a situation arose. But I strongly suspect that instinctively I'd do everything I could to rescue my pet/s from danger. My pets have always been very important to me, since I was a very small child. I think I'd find it very hard to live with myself if I didn't do all I could to prevent potential injury or death. And, like mismi, I instinctively swerve to avoid contact with birds, animals, any living creature, when driving. Some of us just seem to be wired that way, I guess ...
0 Replies

Always Eleven to him

Reply Sun 3 May, 2009 10:58 pm
I just came back from the ER after getting one tetanus shot, one rabies vaccine shot, and five rabies immunoglobin shots. I will have to go back for more rabies vaccine five more times.

I tried to rescue a young cat that had wandered into our garage from our six dogs. Obviously, I was working on critter love and not brains. I don't think our dogs would have killed it, but it was frightened and cowering caught between some fencing and the wall. I just reached in and picked it up.

As I was trying to get to the house to get it out of the fenced-in yard, the dogs were at my feet trying to sniff at the cat in my arms. That's when the little critter bit me.

What would I risk for one of the dogs? Just about anything. <sigh> And next time I try to rescue a cat, I'm heading for the leather gloves and leather jacket.
dlowan

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 03:03 am
@Always Eleven to him,
Welcome, Always Eleven...haven't run across you before.

Oh dear, I hope you are ok.

I would also leap in, sans gauntlets, to rescue a cat.

Even after being bitten to the bone!!!
Always Eleven to him

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 10:36 pm
@dlowan,
Glad to see I'm not the only one. Thanks for the welcome and the good wishes.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 10:46 pm
Quote:
What level of risk would you be willing to run to save/rescue a pet?

None. I would be willing to invest time or money, but never risk any human's well being for an animal.
BillRM

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 10:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
Interesting answer Hawkeye10.

Have you ever form an emotional bond with a dog or cat?
hawkeye10

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 11:10 pm
@BillRM,
Yes, had several dogs and cats over the years. I walk them, feed them, wash them, and spend a good bit of money on them. I care for them, care about them. But they are PETS.

I have a rescue lab that has been a handful, eaten a good bit of furniture. She is still with us. If she bites a human though she will be gone in a heartbeat. To the pound, even if it means certain death for her.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 11:20 pm
I might have risked myself, for Pacco. I simply don't know if that is true.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 11:33 pm
@ossobuco,
How to figure that out..
if I could get to him, I'd go for it sans consideration.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 11:37 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yes, Hawk, I had a business partner that was way more versed than I in animal care, nothing at all to prove... thousands of hours into animal care..
who would also say, at the vet's, "it's a dog" and "it's a cat".

So, I get your point.

I dunno, though, I'd've run past traffic to save the Pacc.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 May, 2009 11:43 pm
@ossobuco,
Temporizing by saying I'd calculate the traffic.

Well, we don't know, I haven't been in that exact circumstance.

I and business partner have dived into a dog fight and dragged him out, apparently a big no no. Women of Steel.
0 Replies