SHUD THE CAPTAIN BE RANSOMED FROM PIRATES ?

farmerman

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2009 09:38 pm
Weve been away all day , So what actually happened? Did the capt free himself (AGAIN?)
Were any pirates killed?
What about the negotiations? Did they fail? or were they (like I suggested) completed and then the pirates were captured or killed.

I have been in favor of the fast ciggarette boats , armed to th teeth. Im sure we can make a boat faster than the bad guys.
I still say that a non-lethal approach FIRST will lessen the desire for the pirates to perp murder on their prisoners.

What we really need is to keep the shipping in "LANES" just like we do it within our waters. This will facilitate protection from support vessels and fast attack boats. That, coupled with a helichopper carrier to put up a bunch of cobras and Sea Stallions will make the patrolling of these lanes until we can create a multinational method to deny the pirates any refuge ven if its in Somalia. (this would require better intelligence).

I dont think this will screw up any existing missions .

Now the GOp can talk about tax and spend but everything Ive heard so far has been massive firepower overwhelming the pirates and interdicting their attacks. (Now thats gonna be cheap)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 05:55 am
@OmSigDAVID,
Quote:
If it were my decision,
I 'd order the Secretary of the Navy
to have a massive show of force
surrounding them with overwhelming naval power
then inform the pirates that thay will ALL be killed
and buried with PORKCHOPS n bacon grease, unless
the Captain is returned intact forthwith, in default whereof:
have the Seals attack and kill the pirates, publicly bury them with porkchops
and make their best effort to save the Captain alive.

Fortunatley we didnt appear to have Chuck Norris in charge of the operations. The negotiations let the opportunity present itself that, with the presidents orders, allowed the simple taking out of the pirates when there was a concern for the continued safety of the captain.
In either case, the pirates will have the message sent that we will try to protect our citizens when they become hostages. This will probably affect the pirates resolve to recognize that we consider life worth protecting (And they will see that life is a good item to monetize) so we must act accordingly.Obviously The French approach was quite a travesty than was ours . The surgical "hit" was sanctioned as a backup . Im satisfied that we didnt exchange an innocent US merchant marine officers life on a useless show of force.

How we deploy the merchant ships from here on will tell a story about how successful our overall strategy will be.Prevention of hijackings for profit should now have the highest priority, with rescue and attack more of fall back positions when protection fails.
spendius

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 06:25 am
What was the ship carrying?
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 06:38 am
Dave-- have you ever heard of " L'Etat c'est moi"? It's an illusion which kings, dictators, diplomats, bureaucrats and even insignificant members of the public often succumb to. Sometimes fatally.

It is the association of private vanity with national prestige and is quite normal in totalitarian political systems. It is at its most ridiculous when engaged in from the comfort of an armchair in a secluded and peaceful neighbourhood.

What those risking their lives in the action think of it I will forbear the telling of for reasons of decency.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 07:48 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

Actually Jack "shud" is a bit long winded. Darwin's correspondents, especially Harriet,
used "sh" with a little "d" in the position a number power is located. She used "esp." too
rather that "especially". And that's 150 years ago.

She was an early feminist and thus a big fan of Charlie.
Well-she would be wouldn't she?

Everyone has the right to his own opinion.
From your post, I surmise that she preferred abbreviations
over fonetic spelling.

David
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 09:16 am
@farmerman,
I was not against this "option" to use force against the pirates. I was against the US paying ransom which would only exacerbate future pirate activity, because it rewards them.
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 09:27 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:

Quote:
If it were my decision,
I 'd order the Secretary of the Navy
to have a massive show of force
surrounding them with overwhelming naval power
then inform the pirates that thay will ALL be killed
and buried with PORKCHOPS n bacon grease, unless
the Captain is returned intact forthwith, in default whereof:
have the Seals attack and kill the pirates, publicly bury them with porkchops
and make their best effort to save the Captain alive.

Quote:

Fortunatly we didnt appear to have Chuck Norris
in charge of the operations.

I infer that u deem him to be imprudent n precipitate,
a vu that I do not share.

Quote:

The negotiations let the opportunity present itself that,
with the presidents orders, allowed the simple taking out
of the pirates when there was a concern for the continued safety of the captain.

There was good reason for concern
from the moment that the pirate ship first approached the Maerst,
until the Navy killed the pirates. From one minute to the next,
with NO notice, any of the pirates coud have opened up on the Captain, with his $12 commie gun.

It now remains for us to CONVINCE our new guest
to tell us whence he came n who sent him.
Then we need to pay a courtesy call,
albeit only from above.
Thay shud get a bang out of that.

Quote:
In either case, the pirates will have the message

maybe . . . MORE than that

Quote:
sent that we will try to protect our citizens when they become hostages.
This will probably affect the pirates resolve to recognize that we consider life worth protecting (And they will see that life is a good item to monetize) so we must act accordingly. Obviously The French approach was quite a travesty than was ours . The surgical "hit" was sanctioned as a backup . Im satisfied that we didnt exchange an innocent US merchant marine officers life on a useless show of force.

With good REASON, since no one 's life was lost.

Quote:
How we deploy the merchant ships from here on will tell a story about how successful our overall strategy will be. Prevention of hijackings for profit should now have the highest priority, with rescue and attack more of fall back positions when protection fails.

I 'm thinking good things about the value of a punitive raid
on the part of Somalia of the pirates HQ.

David
farmerman

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 11:54 am
Omsig said
Quote:

When the separatist Quebcois were making raids in Vermont yeaqrs ago, should we have gone in an bombed Canada for the acts of a very teeny bunch?

Somalia, a failed state, just happens to be some dirt where the pirates are hiding out, shouldnt we target them and try not to spread a lot of friendly collateral damage sround?

You like the Chuck Norris approaqch, act now and think later?

Maybe between us we can come up with something a little more ballsy (than mine) and a lot less radical (than yours).

I think our dance card listing all our "preemptive self defense wars" is rather full. We should attempt to conclude some before we open entire new ones? Agreed?
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 12:07 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
I agree with farmerman on this one issue; I don't believe in penalizing everybody in the country where terrorists reside. We have terrorists, bak robbers, frauds, murderers and rapists in the US. You go after criminals, not the whole population.
hamburger

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 12:41 pm
@cicerone imposter,
c.i. wrote :

Quote:
We have terrorists, bank robbers, frauds, murderers and rapists in the US. You go after criminals, not the whole population.

aren't the rest of the population who are "harbouring" the " bank robbers, frauds, murderers and rapists in the US " considerd as "accomplices" of the aforementioned robbers , murderes etc.
i thought that was one of the reasons for invading afghanistan , to get at the accomplices ?
Rolling Eyes Shocked Wink
hbg
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 01:38 pm
@farmerman,
"farmerman" wrote:
Omsig said
Quote:

Quote:
When the separatist Quebcois were making raids in Vermont yeaqrs ago,
should we have gone in an bombed Canada for the acts of a very teeny bunch?

HHHHhhmmmmmmm . . . . interesting thawt.

Quote:

Somalia, a failed state, just happens to be some dirt where the pirates are hiding out,
shouldnt we target them and try not to spread a lot of friendly collateral damage sround?

I did not advocate massive retaliation -- like smacking them with a fusion bom;
(tho its awfully tempting to field test our Neutron Bom).

Quote:
You like the Chuck Norris approaqch, act now and think later?

I think u defame Mr. Norris unjustly,
unless there is something about him that I don 't know,
but I don 't represent him and u have a right to an opinion.

Quote:

Maybe between us we can come up with something
a little more ballsy (than mine) and a lot less radical (than yours).

Maybe;
we shoud discriminate against the pirate HQ.

Quote:

I think our dance card listing all our "preemptive self defense wars" is rather full.
We should attempt to conclude some before we open entire new ones? Agreed?

Well, the problem is that we might be in Afganistan for a while,
and the mariners might agree that this is a time-sensitive situation
with the pirates. I had raiding in mind only; NOT occupation.

Logically, one of the first options that we have to consider
is severe degradation of Somalian seafaring capability.

`
djjd62

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:04 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
it's thought, not thawt

it's bomb, not bom

it's you, not u

0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:06 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
When the separatist Quebcois were making raids in Vermont yeaqrs ago, should we have gone in an bombed Canada for the acts of a very teeny bunch?

you would have done english speaking canada a great service if you had, we would be forever in your debt
hamburger

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:30 pm
@djjd62,
it may have been VERMONT SEPARATISTS in the disguise of quebecois separatists - or the quebecois were just visiting the "brotherhood" .

http://www.angelfire.com/vt/republicvt/

Quote:
Free Vermont!
This page is dedicated to the secession of Vermont from the federalist United States. It is founded on the belief that democracy CANNOT be practiced on a large scale. In order to preserve Vermont's unique democratic tradion, a separation must be staged with the bloated bureaucracy of the United States. This break must occur on all levels: political, economic, societal, cultual, and emotional.

These beliefs draw inspiration from the historic Vermont Republic and the Green mountain Boys, as well as from John McClaughry and Frank Bryan's Vermont Papers. These scources clearly demonstrate the vital need for a Free Vermont

never mind those few mis-spelled words - it's unique vermont spelling (we are used to "unique" spelling on a2k already)
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 02:57 pm
@hamburger,
The term "harboring" has such a broad meaning, it depends on who's interpretation one uses. Many populations are victims rather than "haborers."
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 03:40 pm
http://www.dailykostv.com/
Check out the Fox treatment of the crisis while ongoing.
OmSigDAVID

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 04:22 pm
@hamburger,
hamburger wrote:

it may have been VERMONT SEPARATISTS in the disguise of quebecois separatists - or the quebecois were just visiting the "brotherhood" .

http://www.angelfire.com/vt/republicvt/

Quote:
Free Vermont!
This page is dedicated to the secession of Vermont from the federalist United States. It is founded on the belief that democracy CANNOT be practiced on a large scale. In order to preserve Vermont's unique democratic tradion, a separation must be staged with the bloated bureaucracy of the United States. This break must occur on all levels: political, economic, societal, cultual, and emotional.

These beliefs draw inspiration from the historic Vermont Republic and the Green mountain Boys, as well as from John McClaughry and Frank Bryan's Vermont Papers. These scources clearly demonstrate the vital need for a Free Vermont

never mind those few mis-spelled words -
it's unique vermont spelling (we are used to "unique" spelling on a2k already)

IF this is TRUE,
then it woud have been unfair to the Canadians,
to bom Canadia, unless it were limited to just some modest boming.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 04:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgar, Too bad my sound system isn't working; can you highlight what they each said in print?
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 05:02 pm
@cicerone imposter,
They essentially said that Obama was too big a wuss and that he was busy botching the whole thing. Afraid to use force, negotiating when he should not. "Bring in Marines?" one says in mock horror.
cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 05:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
edgar, Thanks. No wonder the republicans are continuing to lose their foundation and any sense of our country we call America. They want Obama to fail in everything he does, and wonder why they're losing people to the center.
0 Replies