TONY BLAIR : POPE SHOULD ACCEPT HOMOSEXUALITY

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 07:12 pm
tony blair , a recent convert to catholicism , has challenged the pope's view on homosexuality .
it is well known that cherie blair is a very devoted catholic and i wonder if she endorses her husband's point of view .
i even wonder if she is using her husband to influence the pope and try to get him to become attuned to today's world .
hbg

Quote:
Tony Blair has challenged the “entrenched” attitudes of the Pope on homosexuality, and argued that it is time for him to “rethink” his views.

Speaking to the gay magazine Attitude, the former Prime Minister, himself now a Roman Catholic, said that he wanted to urge religious figures everywhere to reinterpret their religious texts to see them as metaphorical, not literal, and suggested that in time this would make all religious groups accept gay people as equals.

Asked about the Pope’s stance, Mr Blair blamed generational differences and said: “We need an attitude of mind where rethinking and the concept of evolving attitudes becomes part of the discipline with which you approach your religious faith.”

complete article :
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article6055696.ece
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,185 • Replies: 7
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 07:57 pm
@hamburger,
Oh, wait for the drama when he is excommunicated..
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2009 11:54 pm
It's bold.

Now I wait...

T
K
O
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 02:30 am
@hamburger,
Halleluljah!!!

He has an interesting pulpit, given his circumstances.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 08:21 pm
Henry VIII was also critical of the Vatican, I thought (an obvious understatement in the British manner).

This reminds me of the moral to the fable King Midas' Touch (be careful for what you wish for; you may get it).
blatham

Reply Wed 8 Apr, 2009 08:27 pm
@Foofie,
And the Vatican was critical of Henry VIII. Be careful what you wish for.
hamburger

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 01:25 pm
@blatham,
Quote:
A Penthouse In Heaven
The Pope dies and goes to heaven. When he gets there, Saint Peter shows him to his new quarters which turn out to be a tiny one bedroom apartment.

The Pope is horrified and wants to know why he doesn't have the penthouse apartment, which is huge.

Saint Peter informs him that the resident of the penthouse is a lawyer.

"A lawyer," says the Pope. "But I'm the Pope, surely I'm more important."

"With respect Sir," says Saint Peter, "We have lots of Pope's up here, but we only have ONE lawyer!"

will any a2k lawyer get to stay in the penthouse ?
Wink Cool Drunk
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 13 Apr, 2009 01:30 pm
@Foofie,
Foofie wrote:

Henry VIII was also critical of the Vatican, I thought (an obvious understatement in the British manner).

Yeah.... watch out for Tony Blair starting his own church!
0 Replies