How often do you clean your house?

Diane

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 06:17 pm
OK, beelesqueedle, blame your mother, but you aren't the only one suffering from religion inspired guilt. How come the Catholics and Jews claim to have all the guilt???? Just try to be a recovering Presbyterian!!! Oy.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:06 pm
I swear I'd clean house if it wasn't for A2K and Abuzz. Where do you guys find the time for all these extraneous things like vacuuming and polishing and stuff? Me, I do the dishes when I can't find a clean plate or fork or knife in the cupboard. Vacuuming is an art I haven't quite mastered yet. (I think I have a vacuum cleaner in a closet somewhere, rusting). Used to have a cleaning lady come in on an irregular basis. But I think she gave up on me, haven't heard from her lately.

Sheesh. You people make me feel so...so...hygeanically challenged. I'm an orderly slob, though. Clothes are always hung up properly on their proper hangers in their proper closets. Books have their assigned places on shelves, although they may be tolerated lying about on a coffee table or side table. Everything is in its proper place. But everything that hasn't been touched within the last 24 hours has a fine patina of dust on it.

Please keep talking about your methods. I'm fascinated. Might even motivate me to do something besides work at this keyboard and monitor.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:16 pm
I'm a little worried that if we keep the house too clean that my immunities will go down and I'll get allergies or something (that excuse might work.....)

I'm glad Margo nailed Gautam on the cleaning lady thing....
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:19 pm
errrrr, no, you've got the allergies thing going the wrong way, littlek.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:24 pm
Noooo, I keep reading about kids who live in too-clean houses being more likely to have allergies and asthma.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:36 pm
I believe that your immune system is already established, littlek. You don't need to worry about over-cleaning your house.

edit
edit
edit

(i had half a science dissertation in here)
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:48 pm
Cleaning products do irritate a wee one I know with severe asthma...theres another reason not to clean...Ill take it.
I have problems walking down the soap isle...always sneezy, weepy and basically holding my breath. Im fine sudsing up in the shower or arm deep in the dishes though...BUT I could use it as an excuse if it gets all too clean I suppose.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:49 pm
Beth, I know, I'm mostly joking.

Q - There's that too! The chemicals used in cleaners. I have found some good (although expensive) gentle cleaners.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 07:53 pm
Ive done a fair job of weeding out the cheap stuff to be less irritating so, Ill keep it in mind in case they come up with a new formula or something though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:01 pm
That's one of the reasons I like my scum-buster - I use Simple Green and the orange cleaner (what is it?) with the scum buster. All nice, not too wheeze-making stuff.

http://www.simplegreen.com/images/aboutus/mission_splash.gif
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:04 pm
Quote:
FaBrizio's inspiration came when he was cleaning coffee machines after college. He and his father, a chemical supplier, saw a man fall into a vat of chemicals used for preparing wheels for chrome plating.

"It was like everything you saw in a Frankenstein movie was true," FaBrizio says. "This caldron literally melted this guy when he fell in it. It was awful, the most devastating thing I ever saw."

Having given up on football, FaBrizio eventually joined his father in 1976 and started developing cleaning products that wouldn't hurt people.

Simple Green got its big break in 1978 when J.C. Penney Co. started using it as a degreaser, propelling Simple Green into the retail market.

FaBrizio was like a vacuum-cleaner salesman. In 1984, he took his cleaner to Edwards Air Force Base to show NASA how well his industrial formula cleaner could clean airplanes. They brought out a filthy fighter that had been in the desert for two years.

As NASA technicians watched, FaBrizio swiped dirt off the wing and licked the cleaned spot. He then swallowed a bottle of cleaner to prove it wasn't toxic.

Swallowing Simple Green was the only way he could promote his relatively unknown product and prove it wouldn't kill. It became his trademark.

The stuff didn't kill FaBrizio. It did, however, give him "the worst case of diarrhea you could imagine," he says.

Simple Green is now used on Navy ships, at Disneyland, by the General Services Administration buildings and in the aerospace industry. It's sold in grocery stores, in drug stores and at trade shows, and you can find information on the Web (www.simplegreen.com).

FaBrizio was one of the first to register his non-toxic, biodegradable cleaner with the Environmental Protection Agency. The company organized cleaning SWAT teams that are becoming common among "green" companies. For example, Simple Green helped clean animals and equipment after the Exxon Valdez oil spill in 1989.

Simple Green initiated and now sponsors several beach-cleaning projects, including many in Huntington Beach. The company subsidizes trash cans along Huntington Beach.

http://www.simplegreen.com/corporateinfo/article2.html
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:08 pm
On occassion I pick up Simple Green...and that scumbuster....looks nice and healthy for cleaning agression relief Wink
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:08 pm
Damaraka is a HUGE fan of simple green. I am a big fan of the orange cleaner (I can't recall the name either). Now Chez Target is selling a line called The Method and it seems pretty easy on the body.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:13 pm
Simple Green is beloved by cleaning goddesses (and gods) everywhere.

Orange Glo - it's from the Oxi-Clean company (i can't believe i've been looking up cleaning products - and enjoying it. pathetic.)

http://www.greatcleaners.com/ogi_retail/ogi_shophome.asp

pathetic. i accept it.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:14 pm
omigawd. they have a club. for pathetic people.
the clean club.
Quote:
Plus, when you join the Clean Club, you'll get FREE SHIPPING and FREE PRODUCT SAMPLES on all subsequent Clean Club orders. And you'll also get special sneak peeks of our latest cleaning innovations so you can be the very first to try them out.

pathetic.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:21 pm
cleaning club...there was a time I would have been overjoyed with that..boy, am I glad thats in the past!
hehehe
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:22 pm
Piffka wrote:
I blame it on the mail (perhaps the male, too Smile )... it comes in and immediately begins to mess up the house.

I have a library full of books on how to clean your house better. Nothing works. Apparently you are supposed to do more than read the books.

One of the best features of the apartment complex I now live in is a gigantic garbage can right next to every row of mailboxes. None of the junk mail even reaches my door. Love it! The cans are filled and emptied every day. You'd think the companies would get the hint and not waste their advertising dollars on junk mail!

If I ever move to a place without such a feature I love it so much I think I'd even go so far as to place a trash bin right inside the front door to collect the junk mail until trash day.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:24 pm
My post office has a few bins beside the po boxes, you just gotta LOVE the feature of immediate junk mail disposal.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:26 pm
are these recycling bins?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Wed 1 Oct, 2003 08:30 pm
Thats too good of a thought, had the same one myself..should be shouldnt they? Then again..theres that whole identity theft thing...would that be a concern at a post office perhaps?
But, wouldnt that then make you wonder why not--going in the trash anyhow.
Anyway...it is a question Ive asked myself.
0 Replies