How often do you clean your house?

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:23 pm
I've had many MANY housemates in my adulthood. Everyone seems to have a different idea about when it's cleaning time. I am a slob, my whole family has some near fanatic aversion to cleaning. Anyway, I am trying to keep up my end of the bargain in my house. My housemates want to clean weekly. Can I keep it up?

How often do you clean your kitchen? Your bathroom, living room, bed room, etc? Be honest!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 6 • Views: 10,869 • Replies: 105
No top replies

margo

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:28 pm
aaaarrrrgggghhhhh!!!!!!!

(when necessary!) (by who's measure of necessary? Rolling Eyes )
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:29 pm
Ok, I'll tell more seeing as everyone is so interested..... I have moved a lot - mostly once a year, sometimes more than that, sometimes less. I'm now living in this place for 4 years. I'm realizing I have to clean under and behind stuff. I never had to before because the dust never had a chance to settle in my life before now.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 02:32 pm
Not often enough. I don't spend as much free time as I'd like at my house either. Luckily, I live with a male version of Martha Stewart.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 03:04 pm
When my feet stick to the floor.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 03:09 pm
When I'm tired of waiting or think is needs done sooner.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 03:17 pm
Sink/tub - frequently (sometimes daily lately) - especially since i got my black and decker scrubber. Rest of the bathroom - weekly.

Kitchen - serious scrub-out each time the dishwasher is full - so about every 2 weeks. Light duty cleaning in between.

Living room - hardly ever.

The bed linens get changed a lot. The laundry gets done frequently (I love doing laundry) - the clean clothes get put away a few times a year. Embarrassed
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 03:35 pm
I used to have an absolutely clear Saturday morning clean the house routine - and this was also the go in my last 3 households (each of which lasted several years).

Now, I have a cleaner every second Tuesday - so I clean whenever things seem to need it - but frequently on the second Sunday after the cleaner the place needs a good clean.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 03:42 pm
BBB's house
Once a year whether it needs it or not!

I wish it were so. Seems like I'm constantly cleaning because I've been doing extensive remodeling to my new home: sheet rock dust; tile grout dust; unpacking moving boxes, new uncouth puppy dog, etc.

BumbleBeeBoogie
0 Replies

Eve

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 03:44 pm
Whenever I am angry and need a work out.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 04:13 pm
Umm, I shouldn't even post. I clean a little sometin' everyday. The surfaces, the surfaces!!! they must shine you know. Black&Dekker scrubber, ehBeth? Do tell more!!!! I have the Scrubbing Bubbles for the bath - spray it after each shower. I mop bathroom floor at least every other day - white tiles. And I run around with the Dust-Buster - the mini vacuum cleaner and pick up dust, cat hair, anything that fell off of shoes of irresponsible people who wear shoes inside! General cleaning, that involves oiling the furniture, windexing, vacuuming, and such, once a week.
But I am told to be a freak in this matter, thus nothing of what i do is to be taken seriously.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 04:49 pm
You mean I'm supposed to clean it? I wondered why my home was such a shambles. This is a novel concept. I must try it some time.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 05:04 pm
Mom was a cleaning nazi, so I of course swayed dangerously close to anarchy and now I'm more liberal, normally I do a little every day (what ever really needs done - laundry, dishes, bathroom) and a major bit once a month.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 05:18 pm
When I can't stand it any longer, I clean. Or when someone is coming to visit. That's my main motivation. When my mother was alive and would come to visit, I'd spend days and days and days cleaning every room from top to bottom. A dear friend came to town a few weeks ago and I cleaned like crazy. It was important to me that my house was clean for her.
My husband is very cool about it. He never complains.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 05:59 pm
Dag - it's officially the Scumbuster!

http://store2.yimg.com/I/nickandjack_1756_7896361

http://www.nickandjack.com/bldes5scdepo.html

I'm a tiny bit embarassed about how many of the attachments I have. But it's grand! There's even an attachment for cleaning the carpet and re-raising the errrrrr what's it called - you know, the fluff level of your carpet.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 06:13 pm
Margo - how'd you slip in there at the top?!?!

yay! Sounds like I'm not the only slob!

Poor Dag had to live with me last year. And, it's true that she cleans like crazy. That's where the 'cleaning tolerance level' comes in to play. Hers was as low as low can be and mine, well, mine's pretty dang high. If she'd just given me half a chance I woulda cleaned. I swear!

I have to say, I do laundry. A lot of laundry. I like clean clothes.

But, I never take baths, I shower, so cleaning the tub seemed silly to me. And floors, they're for walking on. Feet are dirty. Shoes are dirty. Where am I going with this.....?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 06:15 pm
nap

the nap of the carpet

that was buggin' me
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 06:17 pm
the nap on MY carpet? Why didn't you say something?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 06:19 pm
nahhhhhhhhhhhh - in the post above - where I couldn't remember what the word was for ... the raised texture of carpet
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 06:23 pm
ooooooh, ehbeth, i am drooling. MUST....HAVE....SCUMBUSTER!!!!!!
lk, when i do not have any tasks on my plate- such as some dissertation writing for example, i can live with dirt. but give me a long term duty and my house will shine top-down, bottom-up.
0 Replies