October 1, 1933, in Germany

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 11:41 am
One of the first things to change every Germans normal habits after they came to power, was that the Nazis created the "Eintopfsonntag".

The "One-pot meal Sunday" ('Eintopfsonntag'*)
To show solidarity with the poor, from 1933 every second Sunday of the months of October through March was reserved for these meatless meals in German homes and restaurants. A neighbourhood warden, Blockwart, came to homes to check that families upheld this practice.

http://www.dhm.de/lemo/objekte/pict/ba009630/index.jpg
Text on the photo something like: "The political guide reminds to the duty of having a stew."

The saved money = the difference to the usual German "Sonntagsbraten" ('Sunday roast meat') had to be spend for the "Volks-Wohlfahrt" ('people's wellfare', the Nazi charity).

http://www.dhm.de/lemo/objekte/pict/ju001180/index.jpg
Text on the poster: "Sacrifice for a hungry comrad"

Thus, alone in winter 1935/36 31 million Mark were collected all over Germany. (In October 1935, 75,000 Nazi members collected just in Berlin 375,000 Mark!)

"The way to a man's heart is through his stomach", well they tried it.
Hitler himself was often photographed, when eating stew on "On pot sundays" in the public - this should create even more solidarity.

http://www.dhm.de/lemo/objekte/pict/pli02467/index.jpg http://www.dhm.de/lemo/objekte/pict/pli02475/index.jpg
Text on the right poster: "No-one shall be hungry"

* 'Eintopf', literally "one pot", is normally a stew, a hot pot, a thick soup in Germany. The Nazis originally, however, meant it to be without meat - which seldom was cooked this way, besides 'officially' in restaurants.

source: LeMo, virtual online museum Eintopfsonntag
Maison Neuve
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,029 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 11:44 am
This is quite interesting, Walter, thanks for posting.

We tend to think of the Nazis as being evil, pure and simple, and of course there's truth to that. But it's also worthwhile, from an historical perspective, to try to understand how they actually ran the country--especially in those early days.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 12:02 pm
Walter, I'm curious. In canada it's still very common to find restaurant serving fish ie. Clam chowder, fish n chips, salmon steak ect on friday. A throwback to pre 1967 catholism, when catholics were not allowed to eat meat on fridays. Not that most people are aware of why most restaurants do this.
I'm wondering if this is true in Germany as well. Do restaurants have a once a week special on stew or other one pot creations?
Interesting bit of history, thanks Walter.
Ceili
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 12:03 pm
Well, D'artagnan, it wasn't pure humanity behind this idea:

http://www.wdr.de/tv/west-art/image/pics/sendung/241002/highlight_160.jpg "On Sundays, stew with the Führer"
(Sorry, couldn't find any better photo with Hitler on it.)
The search for social securoty in the German population was abused for their own purposes: namely to bring all Germans under their lead.
Additionally, they 'showed' by this that they were carying the "social" in the party's name rightly.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 12:08 pm
Ceili

Saturdays, you can find some reaturants, serving 'thick pea-soup' or such ( less do such on Mondays).

Friday is fish-day Laughing
Well, nowadays, special fish menues are usually served from Thursday to Sunday.

Interesting aside: the 'mobile fishmonger' from the North Sea comes to our (and others) village on Thurdays, selling fish for Fridays :wink:
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 12:13 pm
Good point, Walter, re establishing total control over the population by starting with something as seemingly innocuous as a special diet once a week for the good of the nation. Self-sacrifice can be an effective motivating force!

In this country, we seem to duck these challenges. The last president who tried it was Jimmy Carter who suggested we turn down the thermostat due to an energy crisis. He was laughed at. Now Americans buy and drive SUVs no matter what the price of gasoline is or what's going in the Arab world. While I suppose this speaks to Americans' independent streak, I wonder what would happen if we really had to sacrifice!
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 12:58 pm
Hitler wanted to create a strength Germany, to acquire territory for more living space ( "Lebensraum") and to establishing a pure racial ("arian") state.
In order to achieve his goals, Hitler needed to create a sense of "Volksgemeinschaft" or a national community unified in mind, will, and spirit.
Volksgemeinschaft could only be attained through total state control; therefore, every facet of cultural and social life had to be controlled to achieve Nazi ideals: culture, the press, movies, profssions, unions, wome's and children's activities were among the many aspects of daily life controlled by the Nazis.

Btw: "Volk-" was one of the most used prefixes in German of that time!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 01:09 pm
Indeed. The word "volkswagen" comes to mind!
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 01:16 pm
And just think, if he hadn't decided to attack Russia...
I'm not sure I would like a Blockwart for a Topfgucker.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 01:18 pm
McTag wrote:

I'm not sure I would like a Blockwart for a Topfgucker.

And "Geldeinsammler" (money collector), McTag!
(I don't know, what is worse.)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 01:32 pm
I heard that the postman used to collect a tax for private ownership of a radio in the 60s, Walter. True? Do they still do this if it is true?
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Sep, 2003 01:44 pm
Well, you pay for your radio (and tv) nowadays by bank account.
But generally, yes, that's true (like in most (all?) European countries).
0 Replies