Baseball Playoffs Start Today!

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 12:34 pm
Series is now tied 2-2. Marlins' comback after blowing two-run lead in the 9th gives reason to be optimistic that a Yankee victory, albeit still likely, isn't inevitable.

Can the Marlins win two of the next three, especially considering two of those games would be in NY (if it goes seven)?
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 12:41 pm
2 in NYC, never - win tonight and the chances go up considerably. Don't want a team to be able to win on emotion, anything happens!

Therefore, tonight is the key to the puzzle.........
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 12:43 pm
Interesting to see how this thread faded after the Sox elimination.

I think the best the Marlins can hope for is a 1960 Pirates style 4-3 win (close games for the fish, open games for the Yanks).

My guess -I hope I'm wrong- is Yankees 4-2.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 12:46 pm
Yes, it's interesting how the steam left this thread once the Bosox exited. As I suspect, the Marlins don't have much of a national constituency. I agree that they have a tough row to hoe, but it can be done. Look what they did to the Cubs! Of course, no Yankee fan would dare do with that fool Cub fan did in the 6th game--he or she would never leave the Bronx alive...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 02:42 pm
Well you did have that kid reach for todd walker's homerun that hit the foul pole...
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 04:45 pm
I don't know how many more of these cliff-hangers I can take. It's been exciting. But I prefer the Yankees to sweep. No worrying. No nail-biting. No tension snacking. Just a parade.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:00 pm
I think I'll miss Boomer more than I will miss Rocket.

Will the Red Sox please take Jimy Williams back?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:00 pm
My father loved baseball. The game.
Every autumn, he wanted the World Series to last all 7 games. He had a favorite, but when they were not tied, he rooted for the lagging team.
The last WS he could watch was the 1990 Reds parade over Oakland. Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:12 pm
Mine too, fb. Still does.

Back in the day he would always try to time when the Series was going to be played, take a week's vacation, and sit glued to the tube watching it (remember when the games were on in the afternoon?).

He's 74 now and doesn't walk well enough to go to Astros games with me any more, but he watches their broadcasts religiously. He was crestfallen when they missed the playoffs, but got over it enough to root for the Cubs, and the Red Sox.

He's pulling for the Fish because of Pudge--not much of a Yankee fan, he is.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 05:25 pm
Born New Yorker.....displaced (for 25 years) Floridian.....

I'm torn.

But, I'm watching. :wink:
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 07:44 pm
PD wrote: "Will the Red Sox please take Jimy Williams back?"

NO.

BTW, what we have is worse. Jimy was awful, but he was consistent in his awfulness. Grady, the Historic-Moment-Killing Idiot, has been awful in inconsistent ways, all year, and as we found out, into the play-offs.

I mean, why, in a relatively meaningful ALC series with the Yankees, would you stick with WHAT GOT YOU TO THE SEVENTH GAME ? Use a bullpen trio with respective ERAs of 0.00, 0.00, and 0.40 ? Nah.

Dumb, stupid, bonehead idiot. Still doesn't get it. Never will.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:06 pm
It's still early, but the Evil Empire is getting spanked tonight.

6-1 in the 5th.

anj: chill, sistah. Grady hauled it back to Mayberry RFD and ain't comin' back. Heat's too hot in that kitchen.

Your Sox will get another pathetic rube to flog next season.
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:25 pm
It doesn't matter where he went.

THAT HE WAS EVER HERE is what matters.

One ordinary, limited, pathetic individual is responsible for the heartbreak, misery and what is sure to be long-term angst of hundreds of thousands of Sox fans everywhere. We had the oh-so elusive brass ring withing our grasp, and his sheer, unabashed stupidity took it from us. Not enough bad things can ever happen to him.

And please, do not tell me to chill.

Ok ?
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:29 pm
angie wrote:
And please, do not tell me to chill.

Ok ?

Shocked

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOK.

Rolling Eyes

:wink:
0 Replies

angie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 08:56 pm
Gaaawd, this is so awful. I mean, I am usually a sweet, caring, gentle soul, really I am, but when it comes to the Sox, it's like I have this evil twin, and she comes alive and is so nasty to everyone. Evil or Very Mad

I'm trying, really I am, to make her go away. But what Grady did, the WAY it all happened this time, it looks as if it's going to be a while.

Do you understand ? Please try to understand. It's the whole city, you know, we're all just trying to wake up from yet another nightmare.

Will try harder. Will try harder. Will try harder. Confused
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Thu 23 Oct, 2003 09:00 pm
I feel your pain.

How about those Celtics?
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 07:00 am
i realize RSN (red sox nation) will jump down my throat for this, but...
i don't think grady little deserves to be vilified.
there, i said it! phew...

here's why: the sox made the playoffs for the 1st time since '99, and were within a game of the series -- something they haven't achieved since '86.
i'm finding it hard to agree with the popular opinion around here that they were a great team this year in spite of little. a manager's performance is critical to the degree of success of his team. good players do not win games; good teams that are managed properly win games.

i can understand the deep-rooted feelings of disappointment & depression of sox fans following yet another near-miss in the postseason. but i think we're all living in denial if we don't realize that the yankees were simply a slightly better team this year.

ok, RSN, lemmee have it Twisted Evil
0 Replies

angie

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 12:45 pm
Reg et al:

You asked for it.

Grady Little made obvious mistakes in game management all through the year. He easily lost ten games for the team before the All-Star break.

His strength is generally considered to be "people skills", and while he does earn points in that area, his skills are vastly overrated. Theo (GM) brought in Ortiz and Millar, two guys who contributed as much if not more to the Esprit de Coeur in the clubhouse than Grady. In fact, Grady's inability to stand up to Manny and Pedro earlier in the year actually threatened to fractionalize team.

The Sox won the number of games they won this year because of the incredible talent level, and because at least half a dozen players had career years. Speaking of talent level, the Yankees this year were rather ordinary. Yes, that's right, aging and uninspired, riding the pin-stripe reputation, talented but not nearly at a level that would justify Steinbrenner's immoral payroll.

Perhaps Yankee fans need to convince themselves that their's is always "the better team". Perhaps that is the only way they can reconcile their fan loyalty with the obvious, blatantly unfair, absurdly UNLEVEL PLAYING FIELD upon which the spoiled, greedy lunatic Whinebrenner gathers up his the meaningless championships year after year, championships with which he unsuccessfully attempts to feed the insatiable, unfathomable black hole that is his ego. Twisted Evil

(Removing myself from your throat and getting on with my day ..... )
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 01:52 pm
good points, angie.

i still maintain that little made them a better team this year. i agree that he's not a great game manager, but he undoubtedly helped improve chemistry & morale -- 2 things missing from recent sox squads...

for the record, i was rooting for the sox until game 3 exploded. the actions of pedro & manny caused me to switch to the yanks (an easy transition for this transplanted noo yawka Smile ). i didn't care for zimmer, garcia & nelson either, but pedro & manny are the superstars, and needed to maintain their composure: a pitcher known for beanballs & brushbacks SHOULD NOT taunt the other team with a threatening gesture, even if it wasn't what he meant. and a hitter of manny's caliber SHOULD NOT charge the mound because of an eye-high fastball over the plate.
after giving up that 12th inning game winner the other night, i keep thinking whinebrenner is ready to dump weaver.

the sox IMO are a starting pitcher away from toppling the yanks from first in a couple of years. unfortunately, it looks like they'll have to adjust to yet another new manager next year, delaying their ascension to the top... the marlins are indeed making the yanks look over-paid, over-the-hill and over-matched. i'd be surprised if they comeback and take 2 at home this weekend. their starting pitching looks weak next year -- no clemens, probably no wells; contreras & weaver are a sorry replacement.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 24 Oct, 2003 02:06 pm
Region, I agree that the Yankee pitching staff has been a concern for me all season. Age, for one thing. And middle relief has been absent.

I'm not optimistic about the Yanks taking the final two games. But then I'm never optimistic about the Yankees until they actually win. Florida has a good, young, feisty team. I'll be watching the remaining game(s) through my fingers.
0 Replies