can / is able to

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 08:28 am
Your handwriting on the envelope is so illegible, I wonder whether the postman can / is able to read the address.

Is the sentence correct? Should I use 'can' or 'is able to'?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 817 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 09:09 am
@tanguatlay,
Both are correct, but I would have used "if" rather than "whether" and either

1. the postman will be able to read the address.

2. postman can read the address.

In composition style "weather" is almost always used with "or not."

parados

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 09:22 am
@Lightwizard,
I agree with Lightwizard on the use of "if" instead of whether.

"Whether" to me implies a choice and I don't recall seeing it without normally listing choices: "whether to flee or fight" "whether to eat or not"

"Whether he can read it or not" is awkward. "If he can read it" or "if he is able to read it" are both acceptable but they appear to imply the postman has the letter in hand.

"Your handwriting on the envelope is so illegible, I wonder if the postman will be able to read it." is better if you are critiquing the envelope someone has just handed you.
Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 09:22 am
@Lightwizard,
wrong word choice. that should be whether (not meteorological weather)
parados

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 09:23 am
@Ragman,
Weather or not, it rains.

Looks perfectly fine to me.
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 09:31 am
@Ragman,
Sorry, first cup of coffee -- should have taken the time for an edit.!
Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 10:29 am
@Lightwizard,
No problem, Light. Only because of the nature of this thread (grammar and usage), I didn't want there to be any confusion.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 10:31 am
@parados,
heheh
Lightwizard

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 11:32 am
@Ragman,
Well, it does boil down to weather it'll be a sunny day or a rainy day. Right?
Ragman

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 12:18 pm
@Lightwizard,
yes ... I can/or am able to agree, whether or not/weather or nautical the shots.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 05:12 pm
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
Your handwriting on the envelope is so illegible, I wonder whether the postman can / is able to read the address.

Is the sentence correct? Should I use 'can' or 'is able to'?

You could use "is able to" if the postman was now looking at the envelope, Ms Tan, but as a couple of people have noted, "will be able to" would seem to be the first expectation.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 26 Mar, 2009 05:18 pm
@parados,
Quote:
"Whether" to me implies a choice and I don't recall seeing it without normally listing choices: "whether to flee or fight" "whether to eat or not"

I agree that there is an element of choice involved with 'whether', Parados, but I don't believe that this is always the case.

Quote:
"Whether he can read it or not" is awkward. "If he can read it" or "if he is able to read it" are both acceptable but they appear to imply the postman has the letter in hand.

I missed this in reading the first time around and added my take to Ms Tan, on the future sense rather than the immediate/now sense inherent in "is able to".

tanguatlay

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 02:32 am
@JTT,
Hi JTT

I would conclude that 'is able to' should be used since the speaker was commenting on the illegible handwriting before the letter was posted. I think it is quite clear from the sentence that the letter had not been sent out yet when the comment was made by the speaker.

Hope I am on the right track.
JTT

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 03:43 pm
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
I would conclude that 'is able to' should be used since the speaker was commenting on the illegible handwriting before the letter was posted. I think it is quite clear from the sentence that the letter had not been sent out yet when the comment was made by the speaker.

Good day to you, Ms Tan.

While it's true that it appears the letter hasn't been sent out, it's not apparent that the postman is there looking at the envelope. That's what 'is able to' says. 'will be able to' portends a time in the future when some postman picks up the letter and looks at it.

Quote:
Parados wrote:

"If he can read it" or "if he is able to read it" are both acceptable but they appear to imply the postman has the letter in hand.
tanguatlay

Reply Fri 27 Mar, 2009 09:22 pm
@JTT,
Parados wrote:
"If he can read it" or "if he is able to read it" are both acceptable but they appear to imply the postman has the letter in hand.

Thanks, JTT.

If the postman is looking at the letter and deciphering ( I hope 'deciphering' is the correct word) the address, I could use either 'can' or 'is able to'. What should I use if the the postman has not been received the letter? Can I use either 'can' or 'is able to'?

Thanks.
JTT

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2009 11:03 am
@tanguatlay,
Both LW and Parados answered this prior to me, Ms Tan. Look over their replies and I think that you'll find what you need. If there is still something that confuses you then, by all means, ask about it.
0 Replies