Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 10:03 pm
When no punter has won the first prize in a lottery, do we say "No winner" or 'No winners"? Or is either fine?

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 941 • Replies: 6
No top replies

JTT

Reply Mon 23 Mar, 2009 10:17 pm
@tanguatlay,
I guess it depends upon whether there is a chance that more than one person could win, Ms Tan.
contrex

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 12:40 am
@JTT,
Certainly in the UK lottery, where the punters choose their own numbers when they buy their tickets, it is possible for the jackpot prize to be won by more than one ticket holder. However, if a TV newsreader said "There was no jackpot winner in tonight's lottery draw", that would be understood to imply that there were no joint winners either. (Or vice versa)

By the way, the word "punter" is UK slang -- in formal English it would be better to choose another word such as "participant".

0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 03:14 am
@JTT,
Thanks, JTT.

Thanks, Contrex.

I didn't know that 'punter' was slang. Where I live, the word 'punter' is commonly seen in the newspapers.
Setanta

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 03:23 am
@tanguatlay,
It is common that slang words enter the common usage by such a means. "To punt" has a different meaning to Americans, though, so it would remain an other than American usage.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 11:42 am
@tanguatlay,
You might see "punter" in a newspaper, but it would be too informal for an essay.
tanguatlay

Reply Tue 24 Mar, 2009 12:05 pm
@contrex,
Thanks, Setanta and Contrex.
0 Replies