Private Messages Launch (but it's a bit rough, read here)

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:11 am
Quick note: we launched private messaging tonight. It's in a bit of a rough and unfinished state, but we are going to be very busy on other projects for a few weeks (hey, gotta do what pays) and we decided to get the private messages out so that they don't wait on the sidelines too long.

So have a look, let us know what you think, and please understand that we have a lot more work (especially polish, there are big missing things like having your ignored users ignored in messages as well) to do on the feature, so it might not look like much just yet.

For example, I'm sure the flood controls we have aren't tweaked as well as they could be. Users hate flood control but we need it in place or a robot (or very determined user) could easily generate more posts than we can handle. If you run into the limits let us know so we can tweak them.

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:20 am
@Robert Gentel,
Worked fine for me.

I notice a few of our old messages have made the leap.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:20 am
@dlowan,
"A few"?

Are some missing?
dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:22 am
@Robert Gentel,
I think so....

I'll have another look.

I never messaged much.
dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:25 am
@dlowan,
Erm....how do I get INTO my own private message box?

I got in somehow when I logged on as Borat Sister to send dlowan a message...but I can't see a way to get in now...

Embarrassed
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:27 am
@dlowan,
Top right, where the users online count used to be. One thing to note is that the messages are grouped by user. So you have a single thread for anyone you've exchanged messages with, not a bunch of messages.
dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:28 am
@dlowan,
Ok...got in from your message.

The specific messages I thought were not there ARE there...the threading thing...which I think is terriffic by the way...confused me.

I cannot attest that they are all there...but I no longer have any identifiable ones that AREN'T.

I'd say you have lift-off.

And I see how to get in to my inbox now, thank you.

I'll send a few now to test and direct folk here.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:32 am
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks for mentioning that. I checked what I thought was one message; instant confusion. Well, I was never big on history, though I see the 'sent messages' came back too.

Thanks. It's not something I use alot, but priceless when it's needed.
0 Replies

Dutchy

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 02:51 am
@Robert Gentel,
Thank you for that Robert Gentel. Seems to be working alright as I've just received my first pm again from the other side of the world. Congratulations.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 03:13 am
One important thing I forgot to mention:

The private message limit is now 1000, which is much higher than the 50 or so per folder we used to have it at. When new messages are sent and received, the oldest is deleted if a user's account exceeds that limit.

It shouldn't be an issue for most, but on the old software you could save messages from deletion, whereas right now we don't have a way you can do that. So keep that in mind if you think you'll be hitting the 1000 mark soon.
Thomas

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 06:43 am
@Robert Gentel,
I'm loving it!

• Receiving and sending a message both worked fine.
  • E-mail notifications worked fine.
  • It took me a few minutes to figure out that messages are now organized in a new way: They are now longer sorted chronologically, one by one. Instead, there's a thread for each correspondent, and messages are sorted chronologically within that thread. Now that I've figured it out, I like it!

Thank you so much for doing this!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 06:49 am
@Robert Gentel,
You say "when you think you'll be hitting ..." How can we get an inkling that this is about to happen? Is there a byte counter somewhere? Do we get a warning message at 900? Or is this just one of those rough edges you were talking about? (No biggie if it is.)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:24 am
@Robert Gentel,
Is there a way to turn off private messaging?
Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 07:36 am
@Robert Gentel,
Thanks for the PMs. Was able to send and receive. But the greatest thing was to be able to access the personal stuff that Noddy and I shared. It was almost like she was right there with me! Crying or Very sad
sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:26 am
@Robert Gentel,
Cool. I got a test one, seems fine.

When I logged in to A2K this morning though everything seemed a little weird -- larger font? Different font? Different spacing? Something like that. Not sure if it's intended or some sort of offshoot of the new PM capability.

Most noticeable on "new posts"-type views, not the home page or this page (a reply page).

Note, it's not something that bothers me, just something I noticed before I noticed that I had a PM. I'm mentioning it in case it's something that shows up on some browsers/ computers but not others and you weren't aware.
Izzie

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:38 am
@Phoenix32890,
oh.............i've just signed on today....

and all of my messages are there....

oh - thanku!

i got my messages from Noddy and ........others who have left or missing. You have no idea how good that is.

Thanku thanku Robert/Nick/Hamsters!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:39 am
@sozobe,
My sig line font is larger, too.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:41 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:

My sig line font is larger, too.

phew - I thought I was seeing things earlier - literally shook my head - sig line font's bigger than post font - or at least seems bigger now - could just be the perception
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 08:49 am
Wow...this change is great! Who came up with THAT idea? I can't wait -- a private MASSAGE?
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 09:00 am
@Robert Gentel,
Quick look: All seems to be fine! Thank you!
0 Replies