PMS - Pre? Post? During? All of the above?

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 12:33 am
As anyone above 10 knows, a woman's period has been known to have an effect on some women's mood. I don't find it surprising as the physiological events would bother me a lot more than I see it bothering my girlfriend but I've always wondered why it's called "premenstrual syndrome" when it would appear to the casual, if unwillingly involved, observer that the effects are as pronounced throughout.

So what's the scoop? When do you notice changes in your mood (if you do) before, during, or after your (or your gal's ;-) period?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 4,756 • Replies: 29
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 01:30 am
I think the name premenstral comes from just that, pre. In fact. menses is a sort of relief.

That fits with my memory of the pattern.

How that all works out chemically, probably well figured out by now, I've not a clue.

Ah, but, that's probably out there on the internet...
Whatever. If your gfriend has this, md's know more now than when I dealt with it. No need to suffer on and on. (I vomitted at key places on campus, she brags).

Something to do with prostaglandins...
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 01:44 am
Re: PMS - Pre? Post? During? All of the above?
Robert Gentel wrote:
but I've always wondered why it's called "premenstrual syndrome"

Because "mad cow disease" was already taken.

This is gonna cost me big time.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 01:59 am
I remember doing the propellant vomitting thing in the women's lounge at UCLA (nice building, wish I took a photo of that lounge), but luckily I made it to the bathroom.. and the woman in the next stall saying, Oh, Puh-leeze.

I also threw up on the greater ivy patch, between geology and math...

Never occurred to me this could be a dysfunction.

Over recent years, I've figured I probably had messed up prostaglandins.

If I was going to research this, I'd look at the Mayo Clinic site first.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 04:14 am
ossobuco wrote:
If your gfriend has this, md's know more now than when I dealt with it.

I'm using the more colloquial meaning of the term PMS. I didn't mean stuff that a doctor would be interested in (unless there's a cure for "extra cranky today").
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 04:29 am
Varies enormously .....and seems to depend somewhat on age, pregnancies had etc.

I don't remember anything when I was young...but I could just feel (physically) when a period was coming.

Then I was on the pill for years, which distorts the whole thing...but I do recall one "light" pill I was on which turned me into someone with homicidal impulses for a week before. My boyfriend and I made the trip to the doctor together to change that one....he wanted to make sure it was nothing like the one I was coming off! Said he hadn't signed up for the person I became on it.

I have shared a house with two women, all of us in our mid thirties at the time, and one of them became like a suppurating volcano for two weeks of every month (she was kinda like that, anyway) and the other just became sick as a dog. I can STILL tell when she is premenstrual at fifty yards.

Other women I have shared with, you wouldn't have a clue whether there were periods or not.

If you've not had babies it is apparently worse as you get older?????

My cycles are weird, such as they are, but I know that I suddenly began having real mood swings, becoming incredibly anxious and vulnerable in cycles (not monthly, but there's SOME sort of cycle).

Actually, until then, I felt all this period **** was just an excuse for bad behaviour. Now I make myself cry too hard when I say that, when I am affected, so I never say it.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 04:30 am
Apparently its all mens fault anyway.

It is after all MENStruation.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 04:36 am
Generally, I think it's before that it's crappy for lots of women.....the arrival seems to be like the monsoons when they come, after the build up, if you get pmt.

This is certainly the impression I get from the discussions I have had.

If you get bad cramping it is awful during, too.

I haven't had that problem, either, so I can't comment from an insider's POV....but I have had friends almost pass out, so it must be awful.

Apparently, lots of us feel very energetic and sexually charged after......so I hope that's true for your girlfriend.

:wink:

dadpad wrote:
Apparently its all mens fault anyway.

It is after all MENStruation.

Nah. It's just naturestruation. Life as a mammal can suck.

It's mens' fault though, I hear, at the last stage of labour, when many cries of "YOU did this to me!!!" can be heard.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 05:29 am
I usually have it on the first day of my period. It usually manifests itself as an erosion of patience. It's not that I create grievances, but things that usually are annoying but OK suddenly become not-OK.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 06:08 am
sozobe wrote:
I usually have it on the first day of my period. It usually manifests itself as an erosion of patience. It's not that I create grievances, but things that usually are annoying but OK suddenly become not-OK.

Ah...moderate and reasonable in all things.

Even weasels, I opine.

:wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 06:14 am
Yeah, tell that to E.G.! He'd guffaw, fulsomely.

I'm on the pill, and so very predictable, and he's always a total scaredy cat that day...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 06:15 am
sozobe wrote:
Yeah, tell that to E.G.! He'd guffaw, fulsomely.

I'm on the pill, and so very predictable, and he's always a total scaredy cat that day...

Does he have a bunker?

What's his excuse when HE'S grumpy?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 06:17 am
Male PMS.

We've talked about that actually. It seems like everyone has some sort of monthly cycle -- maybe just because women do and men have to deal with 'em. But he has his fairly predictable grump-fests too. (And they're on a different day.) (And it's not the day after mine.)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 06:18 am
He would LOVE to have a bunker.

In fact that's usually how I know it's The Day -- he gets way jumpy, and I'm like "what's with the jumpiness? it's irritating me!" and we're off...
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 07:15 am
sozobe wrote:
He would LOVE to have a bunker.

In fact that's usually how I know it's The Day -- he gets way jumpy, and I'm like "what's with the jumpiness? it's irritating me!" and we're off...

Lol!

I love that.

That's how I know I'm in a bad mood......when everyone else seems to be, and I think, uhoh, it is I.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 07:37 am
Quote:
If you've not had babies it is apparently worse as you get older?????

Rundown from someone who does not have to deal with that crap anymore:

When I was young, I did not get PMS, but had horrible menstrual cramps.
For about five years after I had my son, the cramps disappeared, and I had no problem with my period at all. Then the PMS started. Over the years, the PMS worsened, to the point where, ever so often, I was practically suicidal. The only thing that kept me from harming myself was the understanding of why it was happening.

In my late forties, I was radiated for cancer. The radiation, (near the groin area) caused an immediate stopping of my menstrual period. My GYN talked me into hormone replacement therapy. As soon as I took the progesterone, the PMS began again, in full force. After a couple of years of my doctor pushing HRT, and numerous changes in the actual medications, I stopped it for good.

I am very happy that I don't even have to think about PMS again! Very Happy
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 09:36 am
Okay, for those claiming it isn't the mans fault... STFU!

Oh, dear. Must be that time again.

Never mind.

Embarrassed
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 09:43 am
squinney wrote:

Never mind.

Embarrassed

You're a beagle...you just have oestrus.....
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 09:50 am
Serious answer:

Before kids (up to age 26) I didn't really experience PMS in any notable way. Most irritation was that the day before starting I might have to switch to the pleated jeans (yes, they had those in the 80's) instead of the tighter flat fronts. Three days light and then nothing for 22 days. I've always been a 25 day rather than 28'er.

After kids (26-38) Slightly heavier, more bloating, more cramping, low iron making me crave broccoli, generally moody and grumpy and teary. Bear can tell you more, but for the most part rather irritated and short tempered for a couple of days before hand.

Now (38-43) Why can't I just have the whole mess removed? Seriously. Please, take my uterus. Extreme discomfort, grumpy more than emotional, and it's now three days before and into the second day of, so it has extended itself a few days. Oh, and pleat fronts aren't near enough room difference.

All along it's been before, though. Never during or after.

I usually know I'm getting ready to start cause I'm much more in the mood the day before than any other time of the month.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Sat 6 Oct, 2007 09:55 am
dlowan wrote:
squinney wrote:

Never mind.

Embarrassed

You're a beagle...you just have oestrus.....

I had a show mare when I was 13 that would literally throw her hind end against the side of her stall, the tie post, wash rack wall, or ME if I got in the way when she was in heat. Dang horny, she was. And, yet if you got up near her head you best be aware of where her ears are pointing cause she could latch on for a good bitch bite in a flash.

Otherwise, she was a real sweety.
0 Replies