Private Messages Launch (but it's a bit rough, read here)

Debra Law

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 09:03 am
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Worked fine for me.

I notice a few of our old messages have made the leap.

I noticed that too. It seems odd to me.

Didn't we have a delete feature before? I remember deleting old PMs in both the inbox and sent folders. Therefore, it didn't surprise me that there were no saved messages in my inbox, but my "sent" folder contains old messages going back to 2004.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 09:03 am
Only one email notification, and lots of messages.

Is that the plan?

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 09:37 am
So glad to have PMs again. I even found the site after a few minutes, finally realizing it is now called "in box" next to the top log-in box. Looks like a lot of messages were there. I've haven't tested the the site yet to see if me, non-techie, can understand it.

BBB
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 10:51 am
Juhuuu, christmas came early! Even my old messages are still there.
Thank you, Robert!!

How can one erase messages though?
0 Replies

Nick Ashley

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 11:21 am
@dlowan,
The email notifications should send one per private message sent. However, they only send if you are logged out of the site, and have the private message email preference set to 'yes' (this is the default).

Does it still seem like you should have received more emails then you did? I can glance at the code and see if I see any potential problems there.
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 11:39 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Is there a way to turn off private messaging?

No, but I'm not sure what you want or why, can you explain?
Reyn

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 11:43 am
@Nick Ashley,
Nick Ashley wrote:

The email notifications should send one per private message sent. However, they only send if you are logged out of the site, and have the private message email preference set to 'yes' (this is the default).

I was wondering if this was working or not. It's too bad you have to log out of A2K in order to get the notifications.

In case you and Robert are making any kind of list of feedback, a "nice-to-have" feature would be a mini-address book where we can put the folks we PM most. Some of the longer names I can't remember how to spell. Laughing

Reyn

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 11:51 am
@Reyn,
I've just tested out the notification of PMs feature by logging out of A2K, but it doesn't appear to be working, at the moment.
0 Replies

Reyn

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 11:58 am
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
... a "nice-to-have" feature would be a mini-address book where we can put the folks we PM most. Some of the longer names I can't remember how to spell. Laughing

It was just pointed out to me that there is a feature in My Profile called My Friends. Is this going to be an address book? How does one get names into it?
Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 11:58 am
@sozobe,
sozobe wrote:
When I logged in to A2K this morning though everything seemed a little weird -- larger font? Different font? Different spacing? Something like that. Not sure if it's intended or some sort of offshoot of the new PM capability.

There are a LOT of other small changes that were pushed out as well like:

All the colors changed slightly. I desaturated the header so that it was more readable (probably still needs more work).

The fonts are a bit wacky, I was working toward larger typography for topic text and topic details on the topic grids and that's what you are noticing, a 10% increase in fonts in certain places. It's not consistent enough, and folks on 800x600 will see a bit more text wrapping on the topic grids right now as well but one consistent bit of feedback we got was about text size so we are trying to make text more readable site-wide.

The breadcrumbs from the top are also gone. Makes that header area a lot less cluttered but makes things look very different.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 12:01 pm
@Reyn,
Reyn wrote:
It was just pointed out to me that there is a feature in My Profile called My Friends. Is this going to be an address book? How does one get names into it?

Doh, that is supposed to be hidden till it's finished. But in short, yes you'll be able to save friends, and it was intended to be integrated into messaging but for the reasons I mentioned in my first post here, messaging was released before it was finished.

We also plan to add an as-you-type search for your friends that works like the tag search, but unless you have hundreds of people to message, the new grouping of messages by user should actually make your inbox and sent box a list of all the people you message. To send them messages just go to one of your previous message threads with them.
Letty

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 12:59 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert, is there a set amount of time before newbies can do PM's?
chai2

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 01:05 pm
What I'd like to know is why hasn't anyone PM'd me yet?
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 01:53 pm
@Letty,
Letty wrote:
Robert, is there a set amount of time before newbies can do PM's?

At present no, I'd like to avoid it but if we get hit with a lot of PM spam we may have to revisit it. But if we do, it will likely be done better than on the previous software, and we'll not prevent them from sending messages at all but curb the volume more severely (e.g. newbies may be restricted to fewer PMs initially).
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Robert Gentel wrote:

ehBeth wrote:
Is there a way to turn off private messaging?

No, but I'm not sure what you want or why, can you explain?

I'm not interested in receiving private messages through the site.

Right now, I've got the "you've got mail" message at the top of each page as well as the Inbox(#) at the top of the page. I'm not interested in knowing that I have mail, or how many messages there are.

If I can at least get rid of all the signposting telling me about the messages, it'll be a bit less annoying.

I see that you're planning to have the ability to ignore messages from posters you have on ignore. I was hoping that might lead to a total private messaging ignore function without having to ignore all posters.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:49 pm
@Nick Ashley,
Nick Ashley wrote:
However, they only send if you are logged out of the site, and have the private message email preference set to 'yes' (this is the default).

thanks for that info. I've at least stopped the notices going to email.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 04:53 pm
will there be away to delete as we go, i don't ever expect to have more than 1000 pm's but i like keeping inboxes uncluttered
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 05:37 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
I see that you're planning to have the ability to ignore messages from posters you have on ignore. I was hoping that might lead to a total private messaging ignore function without having to ignore all posters.

Gotcha, we had some other preferences in mind that come close but don't do exactly what you describe, we'll see what we can come up with.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 05:46 pm
@Robert Gentel,
It's obviously not something that'll scare me away - you'll have to try much harder Wink

Even if I'm not keen on what's been done, the work on the site is appreciated. Thank you.
ossobuco

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2009 05:54 pm
@ehBeth,
I'm happy with the pms so far, excellent change to a sequential thread for each person - and assume they'll be deleteable at some point.

A possible bug I hadn't reported, thinking it was my mac, seems to be newly fixed, or else there has been a cosmic coincidence. (Sometimes when I clicked on a thumbs down to get rid of a thread, instead I'd get a repeated page view. I learned to click right in the middle of the hand, with vigor..)

0 Replies