saving girls from themselves

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 08:43 am
CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Barbie could get an unwelcome present for her 50th birthday: outlawed in West Virginia.

A state lawmaker proposed a bill Tuesday to ban sales of the iconic Mattel doll and others like her.

The proposal from Democratic Delegate Jeff Eldridge says such toys influence girls to place too much importance on physical beauty, at the expense of their intellectual and emotional development.

Green Witch

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 08:46 am
I think they should outlaw Madison Avenue (is that too much of a NYC reference?).
BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 09:05 am
@Green Witch,
That's a great idea.

BBB
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 09:37 am
I think people who believe they know whats best for other people and are willing to ban things based on their beliefs should be banned.
Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 09:50 am
@dyslexia,
As much as I think that the entire concept of "Barbie" and their ilk sucks, I don't think that a government has the right to ban these products.

I believe in banning, but it should be by the customers, not the government. If that crap did not sell, Mattel would stop making them.
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 10:06 am
I think looking at magazines like Vogue, Cosmo, Playboy, Elle, Glamour etc. did more to make me (and my girlfriends) insecure and materialistic than any doll.
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 10:31 am
My nine year old daughter likes to sing:
I'm a Barbie girl
In a Barbie world
My body's made of plastic
I think I'm so fantastic
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 10:33 am
I guess the proper role of government is to regulate every aspect of our lives and to make sure that we're right-thinkers. Those who have wrong ideas can be helped at re-education camps.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 10:50 am
Yeah, right Brandon . . .

The sky is falling, the sky is falling ! ! !
ossobuco

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 10:53 am
@dyslexia,
This is silliness. I speak as no Barbie fan, mostly for perplexed aesthetic reasons and a few of the regular qualms, while knowing that millions of little girls have enjoyed having them and appreciating that. I don't think they're really so different in effect than the zillion little dolls available in my childhood. A friend of my husband and me even took Mattel to the supremes to defend his right to ridicule Barbie in his art, and won. Talk about a slippery slope, let's ban all dolls..

I'm not so sure the people behind this ban, or in front of it, expect it to succeed re any challenges in court; it could just be a ploy to motivate people not to buy them.
ebrown p

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 10:58 am
... what about the kid who lost both her eyes?
Mame

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 01:06 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:

I think people who believe they know whats best for other people and are willing to ban things based on their beliefs should be banned.

Yeah, well, what about people who think people who believe they know whats best for other people and are willing to ban things based on their beliefs should be banned? Huh?

Actually, I agree with you. We're already way too regulated, monitored, and controlled.
chai2

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 01:16 pm
A must watch.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0d4lOYKb8I&feature=related
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 01:25 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

Yeah, right Brandon . . .

Straw man. I didn't say it was serious or important. I only said that it's a bad idea representing a fascistic outlook.
boomerang

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 01:59 pm
You can have my Barbie when you pry her from my cold, dead Barbilicious fingers.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 02:22 pm
@Brandon9000,
You claim it is not serious or important, but then you write:

Quote:
. . . it's a bad idea representing a fascistic outlook.

. . . having made an idiotic remark about re-education camps.

So, i repeat:

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 02:26 pm
Barbie's don't make girls do anything.

Sheesh.

Why are parents so quick to blame everything but their parenting?
Setanta

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 02:28 pm
@Bella Dea,
Quote:
Why are parents so quick to blame everything but their parenting?

A very good, and a very apt question in this situation. What is silliest about this is that if such a measure passed, it would simply mean that sales of Barbie dolls would increase in Virginia, Kentucky and Ohio.
0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 02:38 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
... what about the kid who lost both her eyes?

<snort>
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 03:37 pm
@dyslexia,
dyslexia wrote:
The proposal from Democratic Delegate Jeff Eldridge says such toys influence girls to place too much importance on physical beauty, at the expense of their intellectual and emotional development.

I think people who need to be saved from themselves, don't deserve to be saved from themselves.

0 Replies