saving girls from themselves

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 12:15 am
@dlowan,
I suppose I should chase down the photo that the supreme court hazzerai was about.

Tomorrow.

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 12:21 am
@ossobuco,
Someone clicks me down for saying 'whatever' - dlowan would understand me, sardonically throwing that.

This is all personally interesting for me. No apologies if my riffs chip your toes, oh, phantom.
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 01:29 am
@ossobuco,
Meantime, I remember a tray of baked barbies.

In photograph.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:33 am
@Brandon9000,
Yes, you shouldn't throw stones, especially in this case, in which you first mentioned re-education camps and then fascism because one guy in West Virginia came up with a stupid proposal. Talk about flying off the handle--you consider it flaming if i point out to you how hilariously stupid it was to gabble about re-education camps and fascism in a story about a clown who wants to ban dolls. There was no "humorous effect" in that. All of which suggests to me that you have a serious character disorder.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 04:33 am
@ossobuco,
Supreme Court hazzerai?
Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 06:32 am
@dlowan,
Quote:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/chazzerei

I don't know how the word evolved, but "chazzer" means "pig"!
0 Replies

George

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 07:40 am
And now we have "Totally Stylin' Tattoo Barbie"!
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 10:34 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:
Let's see. Barbie was probably the first grown-up woman I knew personally who had a job, owned her own car, lived by herself in an apartment. That sort of thing didn't happen much in the suburbs in the early 1960's.

That's right hon. And we down here in West Virginia still don't appreciate women of her kind. Next thing you know they want to vote!
ebrown p

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 11:15 am
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

ehBeth wrote:
Let's see. Barbie was probably the first grown-up woman I knew personally who had a job, owned her own car, lived by herself in an apartment. That sort of thing didn't happen much in the suburbs in the early 1960's.

That's right hon. And we down here in West Virginia still don't appreciate women of her kind. Next thing you know they want to vote!

The idea that Barbie is any kind of positive role model or any symbol of progress in society is ridiculous.

I am very happy that Mija has plenty of real positive role models-- Women who are engineers. Women who love math (and are good at it). Women with all sorts of normal figures and skin tones. Women who prefer boxing to shopping. Women with different lifestyles and interests.

Let's talk about the cultural impact of Barbies. Has Barbie ever done anything out of the mainstream traditional roles of womanhood at the time she was marketed?

Has there ever been a Barbie in a same sex relationship? Heck, has Barbie even been portrayed in an interracial relationship?

Of course Barbie wasn't around for the Sufferage movement... but do you think she would have been marketed as a Sufferagette at the time? What similarities do you see between Alice Paul and Barbie? I bet Barbie has never even been to jail.

No! Barbie is a symbol of the stereotypes in society. As, such she is hampering progressive change, not supporting it. If she ever get's around to supporting progress in society it is about 10 or 15 years after the change has already been made.

dyslexia

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 11:22 am
@ebrown p,
you're getting silly ebrown, the issue is not barbie but government dictates.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 11:23 am
@ebrown p,
ebrown p wrote:
The idea that Barbie is any kind of positive role model or any symbol of progress in society is ridiculous.

In all due respect, nobody elected you to be judge of what's ridiculous and what's not. Your sexist authoritarianism is as ridiculous to me as role model Barbie is to you.
Thomas

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 11:25 am
@dlowan,
Deb, your execution chamber barbie made me spit coffee on my monitor. Please come to Metuchen and clean it up.
ebrown p

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 12:22 pm
@Thomas,
My authoritarianism is not at all sexist.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 01:03 pm
@dlowan,
dlowan wrote:

Supreme Court hazzerai?

I use 'hazzerai' as a word for a complicated merry-go-round. I agree with the court decision on this, just figure that getting the case there was a pile of effort.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 01:26 pm
Shouldn't we ban Monopoly?
Where else have the mortgage, loans, bonds and shares speculators learned their ugly trade? Where have they sucked their taste for money accumulation at the cost of the other players' losses?

And while we're at it, shouldn't we ban electrical trains?
You can just imagine little Himmler closely following the instructions manual and operating the change of ways so the train drops its cargo in the concentration camp!
Thomas

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 01:42 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:
Shouldn't we ban Monopoly?

Careful, evildoer! You're messing with the American Way of Life (TM) here. Monopoly is as American as apple pie. On the other hand, apple pie should be illegal. It's addictive, contains lots of sugar and starches, and kills thousands of diabetics per year.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 01:46 pm
@ebrown p,
ebrown wrote :

Quote:
Women with all sorts of normal figures and skin tones. Women who prefer boxing to shopping.

care to tell us what "normal" figures are ?
(are you defining now what a "normal" figure is ?
are any "blemishes" allowed ?)

how about "normal skintones " - what's a "normal" skintone ?

re. boxing :
you prefer women (and men for that matter) with bashed in noses and cauliflower ears - perhaps a little brain damage thrown in for good measure ?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2007/05/070502093035.htm

Quote:
Does Amateur Boxing Cause Brain Damage?
ScienceDaily (May 3, 2007) " Blows to the head in amateur boxing appear to cause brain damage, according to research that presented at the American Academy of Neurology's 59th Annual Meeting in Boston, April 28 -- May 5, 2007.

Thomas

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 02:10 pm
@hamburger,
Careful ebrown p! Hamburger is the dad from hell who bought ehBeth all those evil Barbies!
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 02:17 pm
When it comes to The Girl, Hamburger just can't say no . . .

These days, though, she's into stuffed toys . . .
ebrown p

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 02:19 pm
@fbaezer,
Quote:

Godwin's Law (also known as Godwin's Rule of Nazi Analogies) is an adage formulated by Mike Godwin in 1990. The law states: "As a Usenet discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving Nazis or Hitler approaches one.". References to Godwin's Law often actually refer to a corollary of it which determines that the person who first makes an unwarranted reference to Nazi Germany or Hitler in an argument loses that argument automatically.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_Law

This discussion has now, without question, satisfied Goodwin's Law. Thanks, all... it's been fun.