saving girls from themselves

fbaezer

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 02:23 pm
@ebrown p,
Wrong, ebrownp.
He who deliverately confuses a joke with an "unwarranted reference" loses that argument automatically.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 02:27 pm
@ebrown p,
Godwin's Law became operative long ago when Brandon decided to call this joker in West Virginia a fascist.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:09 pm
@Thomas,
Thomas wrote:

Deb, your execution chamber barbie made me spit coffee on my monitor. Please come to Metuchen and clean it up.

I spotted THAT irony a mile off.

The way to combat Barbie is to laugh at her, not ban her.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:13 pm
@Setanta,
Setanta wrote:

When it comes to The Girl, Hamburger just can't say no . . .

These days, though, she's into stuffed toys . . .

My mother would not buy me a Barbie.

She SAID I was getting too old for dolls, but I wasn't.....and I know it wasn't the inculcating of stereo-typical sex roles.....it was THE HUGE TITS and stuff.

She thought Barbie inculcated whoreishness and sex.
dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:21 pm
@hamburger,
Actually, Barbie's tits are so huge, her waist so small, her legs so long etc that she is an utterly ridiculous shape...completely organically untenable...worse even than little anorexic kids aping grown women in fashion magazines as creating a toxic and unattainable stereotype for for girls about how they should look as women.

I don't know that any research has ever been done specifically as to whether Barbie is part of what makes kids so unhappy with their bodies, but I think you quite wrong to dismiss ebrown's concerns so derisively.....

I don't think banning is a good idea, but I think Mattel should be moving towards a less bizarre body shape.

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:22 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

Shouldn't we ban Monopoly?

YES!!!!

I HATE Monopoly, and I have to play, and be thrashed at it, way too much for my liking, as kids love it and I work with kids.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:27 pm
If Barbie were human and 5' 9'' tall, she'd weigh 105 pounds and have a shoe size fit for a 3 year old. Don't know 'bout her bra size, though.

I will stress this and come back later: The important thing is the game, not the toy.
Ragman

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:38 pm
Excerptwed from Wiki answers:

Quote:
If Barbie were a real person, she would be 6' 0", weigh 100 lbs., and wear a size 4. Her measurements would be 39"/19"/33".
Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:41 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
She thought Barbie inculcated whoreishness and sex.

So in your experience, she was vindicated, eh?
dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:42 pm
@fbaezer,
Her breasts are quadruple D, I think.

Dunno about the game not the toy.....I think the reality space is likely somewhere in the middle. I know what you're saying, though.

For instance, in the "how to do sex" book I read when I was a weelowan, the very scholarly gentleman who wrote it, in the early sixties, I think, referenced what he seemed to experience as a cultural phenomenon of males who, when catching their first sight of a real girl's breast, were very disappointed to discover that it was not naturally suspended unwaveringly straight out and up and a pure conical shape, with a pointy nipple, as the bras of the time suggested.

I remember those bras.

One felt armed to the teeth and ready to kill if necessary. Man, they were pointy!
dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:44 pm
@Setanta,
Well, as I said, I never had a Barbie, so how would I know?

Oh how I wanted to be able to dress her and change her clothes and all!!!
Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:45 pm
@Ragman,
Yeah but Barbie isn't a real person.

Those waifs on the runway, are real people. Far worse roll models, IMO.
George

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:47 pm
@Bella Dea,
Yeah, this is what I don't get. I think little girls are able to distinguish the
outlandish proportions of a doll from what's possible for a real human.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:48 pm
@Bella Dea,
Some of the nations of Europe have taken steps to ban anorexic looking models from the runways, if i am not mistaken . . .
ossobuco

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:49 pm
@Setanta,
That's true, Set. I think Milan has, if not the whole of Italy, and the same with Paris.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:49 pm
@Setanta,
Yes, you are correct. But lemme tell you, those girls are still damn skinny.

And my point is that real life situations, real life people, are far worse influences than Barbie.
Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:51 pm
@dlowan,
A reasonable exposure to fine art, though, dispels such nonsense. By the time i was pubescent, my exposure to ancient Greek and Roman culture had already assured me that all grown women, when undraped, would have the body of a 14 year-old boy, with the breasts of a 13 year-old girl.

http://www.clg-clef-st-pierre-elancourt.ac-versailles.fr/spip/IMG/jpg/venus_de_milo.jpg

Then women have babies, their bobbies get huge and udder-like and their figures go to hell . . . simplest thing in the world to understand . . .
dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:56 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

Yes, you are correct. But lemme tell you, those girls are still damn skinny.

And my point is that real life situations, real life people, are far worse influences than Barbie.

I'd want good research to make such point so strongly.

It makes intuitive sense, but it'd be intereting to know if it's ever been well researched....though the how would be tough, since kids in the west get so exposed to both.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 03:58 pm
@Setanta,
She looks pretty armless to me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 5 Mar, 2009 04:01 pm
Oh, for sure . . . i'll bet she wouldn't hurt a fly . . . and she's probably a very nice lady, even if she is half nekkid . . .