Seperation Anxiety and Crate Training

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:05 am
We finally broke down and got a trainer for the dogs. Bailey's house breaking issues and wild ways were just getting to be too much. Well the trainer suggested that we get a crate for him. I told her we tried it and he salivated so much, chewed on the bars, and actually bent some so we ditched the crate. She suggested an enclosed one. Well, I went out and spent $250 on a crate and left him alone in it for 20 minutes yesterday. I came home to puddles of saliva and a wildly panting dog.

Now what? I cannot keep this dog locked in a crate. It just seems cruel. I tried to get him to go in there by himself by putting goodies in there, a bone filled with peanut butter, toys...he won't go in for anything.

We get our new hardwood floors on Wednesday and I thought we'd be set but now since we can't use the crate, I don't know what to do.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,611 • Replies: 14
No top replies

CalamityJane

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 09:59 am
Wouldn't it be better to train the dog first? Is the dog trainer coming on a
regular basis, or was this just a one time shot?

You're right, Bella, you cannot keep Bailey in a crate if he's that anxious,
he'll suffer too much.
Linkat

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 10:11 am
@Bella Dea,
Not sure how your home is set up and the size of the dog, but could you get a gate (like the baby gates to keep toddlers from entering the kitchen or other room to keep the dog in one room. Put his toys and bed in there. It will be less confining than a crate.
Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 10:14 am
@CalamityJane,
No, it's a five in home session deal. She'll be back Friday.

We are working on training him but she said that since he is older, the crate may be the only way to get him house trained.

jespah

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 10:15 am
@Bella Dea,
I know the whole thing with the bent bars and salivating dog. Clearly there's an anxiety associated with the crate. Hmm. Will be back later, can't say as I'll have any more wisdom then but I feel for you and the pup.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 2 Mar, 2009 10:15 am
@Linkat,
We were considering that but the only place to put him would be the kitchen, but that would be hoping he didn't get bored or freak out in there and chew the legs off my table.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 08:06 am
Well, as a last ditch effort I went and bought this stuff:

http://petcomfortzone.com/images/doghome_prods_08.jpg

I was doubtful but hopeful. I sprayed it in the crate and put some goodies in the back. Nothing. He stuck his head in, lots of praise. Ran away. He did this for a while. Finally, I made him go in there and he stayed long enough to eat the goodies.

I put more in.

He went in by himself! So this is a huge breakthrough!!!!
CalamityJane

Reply Tue 3 Mar, 2009 10:08 am
@Bella Dea,
Interesting! I never heard of "Comfortzone" - I might try that myself on our
little "basket case" .
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 07:58 am
Bailey went into his crate again by himself last night. Lured by goodies, of course. But tonight I think we will try to close the door for a few minutes once he goes in to see what happens.

OGIONIK

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:19 pm
@Bella Dea,
everytime they potty, show them it (dont put their nose in it, i dont think you would do that anyway : D )

put them outside for a whole day.

this separation anxiety might add to the speed the dog doesn't want to be alone outside, dogs are pack animals. therefore it learns quickly not to pee or crap in the house.

my dog peed in the house 3 times and crapped once.

but shes smart as **** and im very godo with dogs, hehe.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:21 pm
@OGIONIK,
maybe you cant put it outside?

12 hours in the crate might work...(no attention for the lil guy either)

seems harsh but it gets results.
OGIONIK

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:24 pm
@OGIONIK,
on anxiety only way to handle that is toughing it out.

my dog waits at the door for 30 minutes to an hour everytime i leave. she never stops. even tho i only see her every 2-3 days.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 12:29 pm
When I was crate training Harry I got a small crate that was easy to bring around with me, and I'd keep him close when he was crated.

Initially I didn't do that and he went absolutely nuts in his crate, but I started bringing the crate into bed and keeping it right near me when he needed to be crated and he eventually began to see it as his doggy bed. I'd be able to say "go inside the box Harry" and he'd run inside.

Then we took him to the vet in it, and he outgrew it a bit, and he now hesitates when told to get in the box because it usually means dreaded "medicine for Harry".
Bella Dea

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 01:58 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Well, the problem with moving the crate near my bed is that Bailey is 74 lbs...the crate is not small.

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 4 Mar, 2009 04:44 pm
@Bella Dea,
I imagine. But if you can find a way to be near the crate you can reduce the separation anxiety part of crating, leaving only the whole pain in the ass of being in a crate for Bailey to get over.
0 Replies