so what's for breakfast today?

farmerman

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 08:14 pm
@CalamityJane,
I threw my sacrificial snickers bars round a well pad THIS AM I actually felt stupid for bringing em as bear bait. BUUT when I returned to the same well pad about some hours later from my little hike to two other well sites each about 1 mile apart, THE SNICKERS WERE GONE>
SO I walked gingerly back to my truck and closed the doors . Only then did I break my gun into its travel components and removed the loaded cylinder and locked it in an underseat gun vault. The gun was put into the desk tub, locked , and , as I again focused on the road and the woods where I just walked I saw one of the bears behind a tree looking at the truck(q fqirly big mama) , and the other one, a smaller bear was off in the distance a bit. It was the same two from yesterday, The little one was much blacker than the big one which was a dark brownish with big ears.

I was probably less than 200 ft from them while I walked and didnt know it.
The bigger bear was probably about 5oo lb and the small one coulda been last years cub . It was maybe 200 lb.

Why these bears were NOT hibernating was a head scratcher. Im gonna look this up somehwere.

I then had a brunch of a Lemon square and a cup of coffee, Gotta admit, I was shaking a bit I had my pistol but I really didnt want to have to defend myself from two bears whose only job was hunting and gathering. MAybe they wanted to thank me for the snickers
. That experience lasted me till I got home , by then I was was calmed down and kind of fatigued so I took a nap.
Mrs F made a hearty stew for supper, and some homemade crusty bread for soppin. I am now processing a semi stupid move on my part. I drew the two boys in but at least I wasnt holding the snickers. It probably good that I chucked em when I got to the first well pad.

ehBeth

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 08:55 pm
@farmerman,
Is the weather changing the hibernation patterns? it's definitely thrown things off up here.
farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 05:34 am
@ehBeth,
I was just looking up hibernation patterns for black bears and its apparently quite common in the less severe weather aeas like PA and lower NY WVa etc for the bears to occasionally "wake up from a mid winter sleep to go forage'.
They are not as dangerous as they would be in late summer when they are trying to Pork up. It said in the web site that these bears dont really hibernate in that they dont achieve torpor like bears frther north (who may become comatose from Oct to April).
So its not n unusual thing .

The big bear did clomp his teeth together a few times when I saw them on Friday so I slowly withdrew. (clomping their jaws together is a universal sign of "dont screw with me. Im a bear")
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 05:39 am
I'ma gonna have tuna for breakfast . . . just 'cause i feel like it.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 09:19 am
@farmerman,
500lb bear?

Over here, we have a saying.

F▪▪k that for a lark!
Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 09:52 am
White coffee, a gazing cigarrete, smoke and green background ! Its raining.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 10:50 am
@Lordyaswas,
500 lb is only average , your Lordshipness. The largest black bears in Pa are commonly in the 750 to 800 lb range. and they can run like a middle linebacker.

If I fired at one of those, I would only manage to piss it off. A gun is used mostly to startle them (I actually prefer fireworks but theres a chance of
forest fire in the pineys.

PS, I had an egg cup with toast and OJ for breakfast today.
Were going over to BArnes and Noble and then to a movie. (I am so uninterested in "SuperBowl L")
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 10:56 am
tomatoes/green onion/something called Dutch luncheon meat on bread
tasty
I need tea now
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 11:25 am
Greek yogurt, blackberries and fresh strawberries with local raw honey.

Steel cut (Irish?) oatmeal and ground flaxseed.

Coffee (freshly ground beans) w/ soy milk creamer and 1/2 tap of raw honey - taken via IV-drip.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 11:31 am
I'm heating up the Pasta e Fagioli now. Tastes good already but the pasta shells need to get a wee bit less al dente.
Ragman

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 12:33 pm
@ossobuco,
BTW, for my meal at the restaurant the other night, I had osso buco. Pretty tasty.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 7 Feb, 2016 02:11 pm
@Ragman,
<smiles>

My memorizing of Italy is starting to fail, where did I order ossobuco? Modena, I think. Modena might even be it's home area. I didn't order many meat dishes in my over all time in Italy as I'm, you know, cheap on a cheap budget staying in cheap places. When I did order meat dishes though, they were good. I've a good eye for what will be a good restaurant at various levels. Usually.

I've made ossobuco myself twice, first time it was wonderful, probably in the nineties or early oughts. Cooked just right and scrumptious. Second time, when I moved here, I served it for Bumblebeeboogie, Diane, and Dys, and it was completely awful. Couldn't be more awful. How awful was it? I over cooked the meat - maybe or maybe not had to do with altitude; I've not noticed otherwise much difference from near sea level cooking. I clearly bypassed It's Ready Now. I can still almost see three polite people staring at or avoiding me..

edit - my quite fat italian dictionary has it as one word.
0 Replies

sandra gonzalez

Reply Mon 8 Feb, 2016 10:00 pm
my breakfast for today
I had a piece of toast this morning,and 2 slices of low sugar blueberry muffin cake,
2 over easy steamed eggs
1 apple
2 cupds coffee 1 with creamer and one black
0 Replies

Joey Albinson

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 09:00 pm
I had garlic rice, salted fish and fried egg with matching hot cup of coffee Smile
ehBeth

Reply Thu 14 Jul, 2016 09:02 pm
@Joey Albinson,
sounds interesting
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 31 Jul, 2016 10:22 am
trying to use up leftovers in a tasty way resulted in ...

ham salad/simit/french toast/omelet

made ham salad yesterday - had leftovers
had simit with butter and cheddar last night - had leftovers

hmmm

ok

a little bit of butter in the giant pan
picked the onion bits out of the ham salad and threw it in the pan to saute
once the onion was golden - threw in most of the ham from the ham salad
sliced the leftover simit into coins
diced up the little piece of leftover cheddar
beat 4 eggs with some water as cav (and my high school home ec teacher) recommended

dropped the simit coins into the pan with the onion and ham
mixed the remnants of the ham salad into the egg mixture and beat it all into a froth
poured that over the simit/onion/ham
dropped the cheddar dices on top

let it all cook til the eggs set - flipped

served

tasted

<bliss>

it was like french toast medallions set into a super fluffy ham and cheese omelette

swirled a little maple syrup on a section

<fallovertasty>
0 Replies

margo

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 01:08 pm
I didn't know the eggs and water thing. How much water?
ehBeth

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 01:15 pm
@margo,
I was taught 1 tsp/egg. A tbsp for a 3 egg omelette.

The water apparently helps steam the omelette from the inside and adds fluff, while using milk/cream weighs down/flattens the omelette. You definitely have to put a good bit of elbow power to add air and mix the egg/liquid well.
margo

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 02:17 pm
@ehBeth,
Thanks. Ya live and loin!

I may just attempt an omelette for brekky.

(I wonder if I have eggs left? I guess you'd need googies?)

Ya wanna pop over and show me how?
ossobucotemp

Reply Wed 3 Aug, 2016 02:20 pm
@margo,
agree - but I just take a palmful of water, maybe less than a tablespoon, more than a teaspoon. On the other hand, I usually use two eggs.
0 Replies