so what's for breakfast today?

BillW

Reply Fri 21 Aug, 2020 10:52 pm
@edgarblythe,
I eat breakfast very late now. I get up late and am not hungry for a few hours. I mostly eat ice cream, yogurt, pudding and a banana. Sometimes toasted bread, bagel or English muffin .
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2021 04:35 pm
Covid weirdness has thrown my eating habits way off. Generally don't go anywhere so I eat odd things at odd times. Had a picnic date with boyfriend and his family today, so breakfast at noon was a Bologna sandwich with cream soda in a little Miss Sunshine cup. Then we played cars til he had to go potty and I went home.
farmerman

Reply Tue 30 Mar, 2021 06:20 pm
@ehBeth,
Intresting you should mention. Mrs F , me, and her younger sister and husband hve all wxpressed similar apptite manifestations.
Someday wed eta full brekfast and nothing till a late dinner, another day, just a moderate lunch with snx all aroun. (Snax have always been various fruits, Cara Cara Orange hve been in an weve eaten them like gibbons on a tree. Grapes, naranja , apple slices tc etc.

feel fine and My sense of smell had been way more acute this past winter than in others. I coould smell game in the lower woods. Deer give off a sour metallic smell like oak laves in the fall. Mrs F swore she coul smell when a ewe was ready to lamb
ehBeth

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2021 04:25 pm
@farmerman,
Grocery delivery today. Everything arrived other than the fruit. Refund on its way. We'll just go with avocados til the next delivery. Shared a frozen pizza with Set for my breakfast, his lunch. Surprisingly good.

The citrus fruits have been brilliant this year. We ate bags and bags of oranges in February and early March.
Joeblow

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2021 04:40 am
@ehBeth,
My breakfast routine has become so boring. Yogurt, bran buds and walnuts. Every. Day. I'm in a rut.
Tai Chi

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2021 06:14 am
@Joeblow,
Asian Fried Eggs from Jamie Oliver's 5 ingredients cookbook this morning. Mr Fixit splurged and got himself the book and meals have been pretty interesting around here lately!
Joeblow

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2021 07:18 am
@Tai Chi,
Asian eggs? I have no idea. Not even a guess.

I've seen the cookbook advertised. I think Mame told me there's a website (perhaps not Oliver's) as well, that you can plunk stuff into .
Tai Chi

Reply Mon 5 Apr, 2021 10:37 am
@Joeblow,
Regular old hen eggs, Joeblow, but crusted with sesame seeds and topped with scallions and hoisin sauce :-)

We pick most of our books up second-hand but he splurged and ordered the cookbook from Chapters/Indigo. The CBC ran Jamie Oliver's related cooking show for a few weeks and by then Mr Fixit was hooked. "Only 5 ingredients? I can do that"
Joeblow

Reply Tue 6 Apr, 2021 05:43 am
@Tai Chi,
Thanks Smile

0 Replies

kamilhyc

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 02:13 am
scrambled eggs and coffee necessarily
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 03:32 am
Smoothie for starters — an orange, half an apple, a cup of frozen spinach, half a cup of frozen blueberries, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, powdered turmeric, powdered cayenne, black pepper. While I'm working on swallowing that sludge, I've got steel cut oats with chopped dried mangoes and a handful of black walnuts simmering on the stove for the second and final course. With minor changes along the way this has pretty much been my breakfast for the past twenty-five years.
Joeblow

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 01:10 pm
@hightor,
25 years!

Sounds pretty healthy, but wow.

I have never had a whole smoothie. My son makes them sometimes though he adds whey or protein powder (I think) and flax, and sometimes a little peanut butter. I've tasted it and to me it's just...meh, though I take it the body might actually start to crave it.

Today I had leftover coleslaw. Apple, green onion, celery, carrot, um and a very small amount of some type of pasta mixed in. Well, and cabbage of course.
I was in a hurry, and it was the easiest thing to grab, but I liked it : )
Tai Chi

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 04:11 pm
My usual go-to: oatmeal, walnuts, cinnamon with a dollop of cottage cheese for the protein.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 05:07 pm
When I was a kid (young teen age) I would have a coke and brownie.

Not every day mind you - but here and there.

I was stick thin and I just ate what I wanted

Now I have coffee.
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 05:46 pm
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Smoothie for starters — an orange, half an apple, a cup of frozen spinach, half a cup of frozen blueberries, apple cider vinegar, nutritional yeast, powdered turmeric, powdered cayenne, black pepper. While I'm working on swallowing that sludge, I've got steel cut oats with chopped dried mangoes and a handful of black walnuts simmering on the stove for the second and final course. With minor changes along the way this has pretty much been my breakfast for the past twenty-five years.

Most days I'll have what I term My Standard Breakfast. Regardless of the time, it's my first meal of the day.

It always includes sauteed onion, mushroom, tomato, sometimes red bell pepper and pink salt. When that's nicely cooked in butter, I'll add in 2 or 3 eggs and mix it together in the pan. On top of that goes some kind of cheese.
Then, on the side will be either some unpasturized saurkraut or kimchi for the probiotics, and 3 or 4 alfonso black olives. About half the time a small avocado also.
Sometimes I fry some Black Forest Bacon, remove and cook the veg in the bacon fat. I'll dice up the bacon and add back in. Then I don't use the butter. Well, sometimes I do.

This way, I get 5 or 6 veg, a good amount of fat from butter, bacon, cheese, olives, avocado, and the perfect protein of egg.
chai2

Reply Thu 22 Apr, 2021 05:47 pm
@Joeblow,
Joeblow wrote:

I have never had a whole smoothie.

I drank a fruit based smoothie once. The sugar made me jittery AF
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 02:31 am
@chai2,
Your "Standard" breakfast sounds deluxe. And Mediterranean. And delicious. And all-purpose — breakfast/lunch/supper.

When I first started the morning smoothie routine I used cranberry juice...then one day I checked the sugar content. And poured it down the drain.
Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 05:46 am
@hightor,
hightor wrote:

Your "Standard" breakfast sounds deluxe. And Mediterranean. And delicious. And all-purpose — breakfast/lunch/supper.

When I first started the morning smoothie routine I used cranberry juice...then one day I checked the sugar content. And poured it down the drain.

Is this cranberry cocktail? Not the 100% cranberry juice? I don't know for sure but the cranberry juice I get is pretty low in sugars. Maybe it is just the brand. At the very least the sugars are what comes naturally from other fruits that is what they use as 100% cranberries would be very tart.

If you like cranberry juice I'd just look at various brand labels. I drink it regularly and don't like anything too sweet that is why I favor this juice.
hightor

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 06:20 am
@Linkat,
Quote:
Is this cranberry cocktail?

No, it was cranberry juice. "No sugar added" but sweetened with other fruit juices — grape, apple, and pear — still more sugar than I want, even if it's "natural". But there are good reasons to drink it, I just prefer to lower the amount of sugar I consume, whether it be fructose, sucrose, glucose, or comatose.
Linkat

Reply Fri 23 Apr, 2021 07:39 am
@hightor,
Ug - I, personally, would rather have natural sugars...but that being said I do search for the juice with the lower sugars. I just avoid anything that is chemical or non- natural - as much as I can.

Had a life/personal type coach (was offered free from work) she was also a nutritionist and pointed to me that things like yogurt with real whole milk with as low sugar as possible was actually better for you than the "fake" things like skim, lower fat. You just have less of if. That all this processed stuff is poison for your body.

She even got me making my own granola from all organic products and led me to places I could get the more natural stuff.

That being said you are correct on the low amount of sugar - being very important to minimize this for your body.

Ok that being said - I still drink my coffee for breakfast! Sometimes I have plain yogurt and add my home made granola. I am not a big breakfast person - maybe an egg with some sautee veggies and a little cheese.