so what's for breakfast today?

hamburgboy

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 02:48 pm
@ossobuco,
hamburger's breakfast special :

- glaze sweet onions , mushrooms and zuchcini in a bit of olive oil and plenty of unsalted butter over low-medium heat ,
- add sliced , boiled potatoes and chopped up double-smoked bacon ( other b'fast meat will do in a pinch ) ,
- let it stew for a few minutes - don't rush it !
- when it has all nicely browned - but not burned - add two slightly beaten eggs .
- let sit for a few minutes ,

- serve on a pre-heated plate ,

- on the side : dense-dark rye bread , nicely buttered - with liverwurst - cheese ... or whatever you like .

- a cup of strong ( instant ) coffee - sweet and creamy .

- usually keeps me going for a little while .

- allow about 30 plus minutes to get this all ready - you need patience - can't rush this - the onions , mushrooms etc. want their time to develop good flavour .

* when using double-smoked bacon i do not add salt .

hamburgboy

Reply Sat 3 Apr, 2010 03:22 pm
@hamburgboy,
just a little addition :

i'll sometimes have a piece or two of " pickled finnish herring " ( they call it MATJES but it is not matjes but a sweet-and-sour pickled herring ) on the side .
it fires up one's appetite for sure .

http://www.milbreeviking.com/importedfoods/fish_products/matjes_herring200if.jpg
ehBeth

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 09:20 am
@hamburgboy,
scallops sauteed in butter/garlic/lotsa lemon
side of sourdough toast with chunks of garlic in it
nice tangy chili sauce (the canajun country style, not tex-mex chile)

Swimpy

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 09:46 am
@ehBeth,
Sounds really good. I had pancakes.
firefly

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 09:59 am
@Swimpy,
hamburgboy, I love those matjes herrings. Glad you reminded me about them, I must pick up a jar. I also like the Vita brand herring in wine sauce (which is not really a wine sauce). I'm more likely to have herring for lunch, or as a snack, not for breakfast.

Your "special" sounds delicious--for me that would be dinner. I'm not that hungry in the morning, and I want something fast and easy. But I might try your recipe one night.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 10:01 am
Toast.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 10:05 am
choc-chip cookies.
Chumly

Reply Sun 4 Apr, 2010 10:08 am
@dyslexia,
On toast.
hamburgboy

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 05:36 pm
@Chumly,
left-overs :

1/2 smoked pork-chop , dumplings with gravy , topped with a couple of fried eggs - bit of coleslaw on the side

strong and sweet coffee

( no toast )
ossobuco

Reply Sat 10 Apr, 2010 07:17 pm
@hamburgboy,
Fish soup - spicy sardines, onions, stewed ital tomatoes, some enchilada sauce, broken spaghettini bits, lots of parsley.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 10:14 am
For a couple of days I had my most favourite breakfast every morning (on the Cotentin peninsula, Brittany, France):

croissants, Brioche, pain, jams and marmalade, orange juice,
coffee ...
http://i50.tinypic.com/ir3v9j.jpg

... and a fantastic view over the ocean (with a 'natural end' at the Channel Islands)
http://i47.tinypic.com/dz6jqo.jpg
Swimpy

Reply Thu 20 May, 2010 01:44 pm
@Walter Hinteler,
If you're trying to make me jealous, Walter, I have to say mission accomplished Wink Glad to see you enjoying the good things in life.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 08:43 am
@Swimpy,
a fresh onion bun with la vache qui rit herb cheese

asparagus

<sigh>
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2010 11:25 am
@ossobuco,
Ah, Osso, when you talk about food there's a tone of artistic expression that is so authoritative. Spicy sardines....broken spaghettini bits....My pulse is faster.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2010 08:31 am
whole grain bread with really good old cheddar and chunks of Campari tomatoes - melted under the grill

sooooooo good

the tomatoes have that kinda sweet skunky taste that is soooooo real
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 09:04 am
cucumber slices, cheddar and smoked turkey on toast rusks

mebbe a bit too much horseradish for breakfast Shocked Embarrassed Shocked
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Sun 26 Sep, 2010 10:07 am
We took a friend out to eat last night. Filet Mignon and for dessert the most sinful carrot cake (it looked like cheese cake). I gained two pounds (hope it's mostly water). Now we are afraid to eat breakfast. All inhibitions.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 10:19 pm
Why in the world has this thread ended? I have yet to confess my love for lox and breakfast time.
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 10:34 pm
@JLNobody,
I still like lox.. talk to us, JL..
ossobuco

Reply Fri 21 Jan, 2011 10:50 pm
@ossobuco,
JL is frozen into not being able to communicate with us because of computer fear. He has a doctorate, but still.

I'm a mess on all that but I could help, but not in the same city. I would much love to help.
0 Replies