Are You Ready For Fantasy Baseball - 2009?

Gargamel

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 10:47 am
@George,
Oh, it's totally legit, nothing wrong with it at all. But do you blame me for not wanting stiff competition like, oh, the Stable Hands, taking a leap forward in runs, RBI, and HRs? I'm trying to win this thing!
George

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 11:04 am
@Gargamel,
Fear not on our behalf. We aren't claiming Manny.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 11:09 am
@George,
If he's playing and he's available, the Owls aren't proud. We'll take anybody. (Apparently we did, sigh.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 11:37 am
@Region Philbis,
Yeh, but what he got caught with is often used as a followup to roids use, but not always.

Anyway, the cutie is staying.

I've given some good players to waivers, some from my own impatience, some from advice from yahoo or cbs talking heads (Braden, Jackson), one by a mix up (I had just read a lot of downers about another Sanchez).
0 Replies

ElStudHoncho

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 05:24 pm
Manny will be playing with our Albuquerque Isotopes for about 4 games next week. Tickets are selling like crazy. Sold out stadium is expected for the first game.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 05:38 pm
@ElStudHoncho,
Well, I hope he can still hit the ball once in a while.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:25 pm
@ElStudHoncho,
ElStudHoncho wrote:

Manny will be playing with our Albuquerque Isotopes for about 4 games next week. Tickets are selling like crazy. Sold out stadium is expected for the first game.

Albuquerque Isotopes?
And I thought the Isotopes were from Springfield and Mr. Burns was the owner!
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:35 pm
@fbaezer,
Springfield? Burns?
realjohnboy

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:42 pm
@ossobuco,
ossobuco wrote:

Springfield? Burns?

That was funny, osso.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:46 pm
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

ElStudHoncho wrote:

Albuquerque Isotopes?
And I thought the Isotopes were from Springfield and Mr. Burns was the owner!

Well they are/were and that's partially why the Isotopes was selected as a team name when the franchise was organized here. There was a huge controversy about that--many citizens wanted the team to be the old Albuquerque Dukes, our former AAA franchise. The owners, however, were adament re the Isotopes, partly because of the Simpson series name recognition, and partly because this is a high tech area, Los Alamos, Trinity Site, et al and it just seemed appropriate. I hated it at first, but have come to love it and now admit that the owners were right about the marketing strategy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:50 pm
@realjohnboy,
what was funny, daggummit?

I suppose you've all seen some movie..
ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:53 pm
@ossobuco,
Ah, the Simpsons. I haven't watched the Simpsons in forever, though I liked the series.

I have certain associations with nuke stuff here, mostly highly discomfiting, but all long ago.
0 Replies

Pantalones

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 11:00 am
Albuquerque Isotopes!
Isotopes Power!

I went there in '03, I think it was their first season in Albuquerque. The stadium was nice and there was a hilarious mid-inning comedian that I wish I could remember his name to look up videos in youtube, might not be as funny I just remember I laughed hard every day I went there.
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 11:08 am
@Pantalones,
Yes, the old Dukes stadium was completely razed and rebuilt from the foundation up to make ready for the Isotopes. And they do a good job of entertaining the crowd especially during those draggy games that not much exciting happens. We didn't go in '93, however, so I missed the guy you remember.

I do miss the old Dukes' organ player who had a real flair for coming up with little ditties that accentuated whatever was happening at the moment. And the games now have more of a big league feel instead of an old hometown homespun summer night ball game. But still enjoyable. And they feature awesome fireworks shows from time to time.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 01:17 pm
Nothing like the seventh-inning-hit half-price beer for the old Mexico City Tigres, and their mascot, Chacho.

http://www.grupogrip.net/Tigres/cpg132/albums/userpics/10001/thumb_3%20CHACHO-71.jpg
Foxfyre

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 01:26 pm
@fbaezer,
Hmmm. Wonder how he would get along with Orbit?

http://i456.photobucket.com/albums/qq289/LindaBee_2008/th_albuquerque_isotopes_orbit.gif

Meet Orbit, the Albuquerque Isotopes' mascot. Fans are a little unsure exactly what he is. Some feel he's part alien and part dog. Others feel he's an astro bear or a cross between Big Bird and Elmo.

Regardless what he is, he remains the big huggable, orange creature you see supporting the Isotopes at the Isotopes Park.

Name: Orbit

Birth Place: Unknown

Height: 7' (approximately)

Weight: 300lbs

Fur Color: Orange

0 Replies

George

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 01:33 pm
@fbaezer,
Quote:
Nothing like the seventh-inning-hit half-price beer for the old Mexico City Tigres . . .

If they had half-price beer at Fenway, they'd need a SWAT team in the bleachers.
ElStudHoncho

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 01:52 pm
Manny struck out on his first at bat as an Isotope. Went o for 3 last night.
George

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 02:01 pm
@ElStudHoncho,
<snicker>

I like that sig, ESH.
An old friend once told me:
"At my age, I've learned two things. Never pass a urinal and never trust a fart."
ElStudHoncho

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2009 02:11 pm
@George,
Your friend is a very wise person!!!
0 Replies