Are You Ready For Fantasy Baseball - 2009?

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 09:45 pm
@ossobuco,
8) working toward numero eight.
I think it was a nice ordinary car, the honda civic. I bought and sold it for the same amount, living with it three years, as I did with many of those mentioned as passed. But, I circled out on a non fast downhill in it, very dramatic, and twirled on Venice Blvd in the rain, also slowly. Tires described as ok.

ossobuco

Reply Wed 17 Jun, 2009 10:00 pm
@ossobuco,
9) was that the mgb/gt?
well, there was a dumb purchase.
So, there I was driving well within speed limit on the curve in Marina del Rey, and my hood whapped up, so that I couldn't see, windshield occluded, although I had a general clue as to few if none on the road. I was, luckily, in the far right lane, not swift, and slowed and edged weirdly around the corner and stopped, whence a motorcycled polizia yelled at me.

As our yelling match developed, changed, he helped me bend the hood down and followed me home, which was perhaps ten blocks.
Sold that thing, and now I can't even remember if I fixed the hood.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 09:00 am
There will be little change in the standings this week. I have just 2 pair of slots shifting.
1) Gargamel tightens his hold on 1st (.600) with a big win over McGentrix;
2) Fbaezer loses yet another match but hangs on to 2nd with .581;
3) George ties with Jose and sticks in 3rd at .562;
4) Jose stays at 4th with .538;
5) McGentrix slips to .517 and 6th place;
6) Tico continues to shine and grabs 5th at .531;
7) Fox ends up in a tie in this week's matchup and stays in 7th with .502;
8) Jespah keeps 8th at .488;
9) Alex slips to 10th with .462;
10) The stars align for Johnboy on Sunday. At .464 he takes 9th;
11) JPinMilw could surprise. I have him at .462 and in 11th, but watch;
12) Osso has a great week but sticks to 12th at .455;
13) ElStud goes nowhere--ending in 13th with .440;
14) Mysteryman solidifies his hold on the basement with .388.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 10:15 am
@realjohnboy,
Hah, I forgot to add the next batch of cars. No matter: the denouement is old sturdy Volvo.

On my Paws, it seems a great week, but the firefighters were gaining last I looked.
0 Replies

ElStudHoncho

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 07:14 pm
My first car was a 1953 Ford convertible with a Continental kit, lowered and pin striped. In the 50's naming your car was the rage. I did not name my convertible, but did my second car, a 1956 Ford two-door that I named "King Kong" and had it in large gold decal letters on the rear window. I recall a couple of my friends' car's names...."Honeybucket" and "Half Fast"....both with the name on the rear window. Some folks placed the names on the rear fenders. It was just the cool thing to do.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 07:16 pm
@ElStudHoncho,
Nods.
Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 07:23 pm
@ossobuco,
This was his/our car except ours was two-tone blue. I married it along with ElStud. Just before the wedding he had it completely redone inside with new white headliner and big white hearts on the blue seat upholsery--really sharp. Cars then were a member of the family, not just something to get around in.

http://www.chuckgardiner.net/images/1956-ford-fairlane-club-8.jpg

Meanwhile the Rednecks continue to beat up on my Owls. I have only a few innings left to regain the lead or even a tie and prospects don't look good.
ossobuco

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 10:32 pm
@Foxfyre,
Cool photo, for sure.

Foxfyre

Reply Sun 21 Jun, 2009 10:59 pm
@ossobuco,
I should have clarified that this one was identical to ours except that the yellow part would be blue....so two tone blue and white. And Johnboy whomped the Owls this week. I wonder how far down we'll go this time?
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:37 am
@realjohnboy,
realjohnboy wrote:

2) Fbaezer loses yet another match but hangs on to 2nd with .581;

Soooo not true!
PFM is back on the winning track!
"It ain't over til it's over" is truly a wise saying by a wise, yet misunderstood, man.

Now, if Votto & Span get off the DL this week, and Smoltz proves his arm is still great, the horrible PFM slump will really be just only bad memories.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2009 11:46 am
A big week for the Tubas, in spite of losing Jake Peavy for a couple months and perhaps Brandon Webb for the rest of the season (depending on his MRI results).

That's right, Peavy and Webb. I suppose it's only fair though, for with them I would be unstoppable.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 01:24 am
Conscience and Fantasy Baseball -
So I see Manny has been to my town, Oh, good. Yes, he's handsome. I won't judge by that, no matter how hot that photo.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-manny-ramirez23-2009jun23,0,4670382.story?page=2

I'm one of the anti drug additive types and this guy is on my fantasy team, lolling about on the bench, thus keeping me from adding another player for quite a while now.
I can understand waiting until all evidence piles up, but, eh.
But still he rests, with flicking bat.

My conscience tells me to dump. Talk about dumb, that is, my conscience. Plus all my so called antagonist teams will vie to grab him.

I'm morally querulous but am probably going to keep him rostered.

What would you do? (Not that I'll listen.)

George

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:37 am
@ossobuco,
Just what you're doing.

On the other hand, I took him off my list at the draft.
Not a matter of conscience, though. I also took all the Yankees off my list.
McGentrix

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 06:42 am
@George,
George wrote:

Just what you're doing.

I should have done that.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:22 am
@ossobuco,
Keep Manny. Remember--this is fantasy. Sure, I won't pick up Andy Pettite off the wavier wire in part because he doped (it helps that he sucks). But it's not like Manny was shooting steriods into his ass. A lot of the negative publicity has to do with his attitude prior to the suspension, also.

So, let's just say Manny of the Sandpaws doesn't dope. And that goes for who knows how many players on all of our teams.

Hey, Elijah Dukes threatened his wife with a gun, but he knocks doubles all over the place, so I keep him.

Because I have no scruples and am a horrible person.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 08:23 am
@George,
George wrote:

Just what you're doing.

Same reason I traded Derek Lee. No Cubbies on the Tubas.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 09:40 am
I don't get it.
If Manny of the Southpaws doesn't dope, how come does Derek Lee of the Tubas really play for the Cubs?
Isn't that a bit of doublethink?
Gargamel

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 10:02 am
@fbaezer,
fbaezer wrote:

I don't get it.
If Manny of the Southpaws doesn't dope, how come does Derek Lee of the Tubas really play for the Cubs?
Isn't that a bit of doublethink?

You got me, I admit it. I just don't want anybody near the top of the league picking up Manny off of waivers.
Region Philbis

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 10:27 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
I can understand waiting until all evidence piles up, but, eh.
(he failed a drug test and was suspended accordingly -- nothing left to pile up...)
George

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2009 10:40 am
@Gargamel,
Quote:
I just don't want anybody near the top of the league picking up Manny off of waiver

Why not? It's all legit.
Unless there's collusion, of course, but that's not happening here.