Yet another libtard newspaper goes under

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 08:50 am
FR refers to this as a "dinosaur media death watch" event; one comment:

Quote:
The Seattle Post-Intelligencer is Seattle's most liberal paper. The NY Times of the Northwest. With its death, that leaves only the Seattle TIMES which is only slightly less liberal than the P-I. And the Times is facing its own financial troubles, having to cut the size of its paper and seeing falling readership.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/18797290/detail.html#-

Quote:

P-I Employees Bracing For Paper's Shutdown

Wednesday, February 25, 2009
SEATTLE -- On Wednesday, employees of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer newspaper learned how to file for unemployment after the paper shuts down.

Though the paper is still up for sale and it's possible that someone could buy it, the closure of the paper is increasingly likely. Dan Raley wasn't scheduled to work Wednesday, but the longtime sports columnist was at the P-I building anyway for a meeting he said he didn't want to attend.

"I'm here for an unemployment benefits meeting, something I can't imagine I'd ever be doing," said Raley.

After 30 years at the paper, Raley and other P-I employees are facing the likelihood they'll soon be out of work.

"It's just like being on death row. It's not fun, it's not encouraging, but a lot of people are going through this so it's not like we feel alone," said Raley.

There is still an effort to save the P-I, but Phil Talmadge of the Committee for a Two Newspaper Town said time is running out.

"The Hearst Corporation has said it was going to close the print version of the P-I for sure," said Talmadge.

Employees said the best hope is that the Hearst Corporation will keep some kind of online version of the paper, with a diminished staff.

Hearst has not committed to anything, and fueling the meltdown of print journalism in Seattle is the fact that the Seattle Times is also in a financial crisis.

"The fear that all of us have on the committee is that we could see Seattle as not a two newspaper town but as a one newspaper town," said Talmadge.

P-I employee Kery Murakami said all he ever wanted to be was a newspaper reporter.

"I think the hardest part is that for a lot of us, we're looking at the end of our careers because there's no jobs in newspapers anywhere," said Murakami.

After 9 years at the P-I, Murakami is facing both the loss of a job and a childhood dream.

"There's a very good possibility that my last story here will be the last story I ever write," said Murakami.

There will be a panel and town hall discussion on the subject of the P-I on Thursday at 7 p.m. at the Seattle City Hall. For more information, see http://www.nonewsisbadnews.org/.

Ceili

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 05:31 pm
Is it a republican thing to want people to lose their jobs? Go bankrupt? Do you secretly wish for the same things as Rush Limbaugh too, like complete failure of the economy etc?
Only an idiot would applaud these types of things.
Setanta

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 05:43 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
Only an idiot would applaud these types of things.

Bingo ! ! !

Somebody give that lady a cee-gar . . .
0 Replies

gungasnake

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 07:30 pm
@Ceili,
Quote:
Is it a republican thing to want people to lose their jobs?

It's a republican thing to want people to have HONEST jobs....,
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 01:56 am
So by your account, unless you're a shill for your beliefs it's not an honest job. Get real.
gungasnake

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 08:45 am
@Ceili,

The mainstream media is dying; there's usually a cause for something like that.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2009 04:08 pm
Yup. The economy is in the tank.
Due in no small part to the "honest" effort of the republican party.
Bush was employed by the people to work for the people and of the last 8 years, he spent 450 days at his ranch in Texas and an equal amount of time at Camp David. He also bragged about his voracious reading skills. Apparently he read over 100 books his last few months in residence. Great.
So, I'd say any president who spent that much time on leisurely activities, wasn't doing an honest job. But you take aim at secretaries, sport writers, obits writer, printers, carriers....and a voice of dissent, and revel in their impending job loss.
Sad.
gungasnake

Reply Sun 1 Mar, 2009 07:32 am
@Ceili,
Quote:
Yup. The economy is in the tank.
Due in no small part to the "honest" effort of the republican party.

The economy is in the tank because the demoKKKrat party has raped and pillaged our economic and financial systems to the point of utter destruction. Two years ago George W. Bush, John McCain and other republican leaders were trying to sound alarms over Freddie Mac and Fannie May and were being shouted down by Chris Dodd and Barney Frank (giving perverts everywhere a bad name), and Bark Oinkbama was suing banks to force them into the kinds of stupid loans which have brought all this ruin about.

0 Replies