Questions about pain relief for my dog after injury

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 01:29 pm
@Izzie,
It's due to the image Green Witch linked to. It's a link to a https url, and the security certificate for that secure connection is not being accepted by your browser.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 01:31 pm
@Green Witch,
Ah, you already explain it. No worries. That's one of the inherent downsides to allowing remote images to be linked here.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 10:01 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Christ dude, I'm sorry about your dog. The advice and medication from your vet are sound. The meds and topical treatment you are using are the identical ones I was given when my Kodibear was bitten to the bone protecting my smaller dogs from a dog pack wilding through my neighborhood.

To slow the pup down you might investigate using a sedative called ACEPROMAZINE. I use it during hunting season on another dog that freaks out hearing gun shots or lightening.

btw In humans it is used as an anti-pyschotic.. ...and no I won't take even if you suggest that I do. Wink

BEAST WISHES TO YOU AND THE DOG!
Robert Gentel

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 10:11 pm
@kuvasz,
That's nice to hear. He's been much better ever since the first night. Today he's hardly hiding at all and has been hanging out more.

He's even taking the aerosol spray pretty well and the only thing I'm a bit worried about is that he has some hairs stuck in his stitches, and has become violent if I try to touch them (I want to clear them out of the wound). So far it looks ok and I'm just going to wait till the cicatrization progresses a bit and it doesn't hurt him as much to try to pluck them out.
ossobuco

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 10:21 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Ah, harrybaby is doing ok. Ok, good.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 08:04 am
@Robert Gentel,
Try this:

http://www.dermoplast.com/images/homeprods.jpg

You never have to touch the wound and it will help the pain. It was given to me when I gave birth to put in a sensitive area so I think it would be ok to put on your dog. Wink
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 09:13 pm
You haven't mentioned it, so I assume it hasn't become part of the treatment regimen, but DON'T give aspirin to your dog while he was taking Rimadyl. They are both NSAIDs, so you're effectively giving more drug. I'd be inclined to prescribe something like tramadol, which works very well with Rimdayl.

I wouldn't double the dose of the Rimadyl. I'm assuming pup is probably around 5 to 7 kg, given the breed, so he's being dosed appropriately at 25 mg per day. Most folks I know would have you give 12.5 mg (1/2 tab) every 12 hours rather than the whole tab once a day, but that shouldn't be that big a deal. Really, I don't have any quibbles with the treatment, except that I'm not familiar with the aerosol.

As far as the hairs go, I wouldn't worry too much about it if they're not getting deep into the wound.

It sounds like little guy is doing well. Hope he continues to do so.

(Oh, and please groom with clippers, not scissors, when working at all close to the skin. A little road rash is a lot better than an open wound.)

(Oh, and acepromazine isn't really used in people any more. But chlorpromazine is...)
Robert Gentel

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2009 09:28 pm
@patiodog,
patiodog wrote:
You haven't mentioned it, so I assume it hasn't become part of the treatment regimen, but DON'T give aspirin to your dog while he was taking Rimadyl.

Correct, I didn't. Ever since that first night he's been much better so I haven't been concerned about the pain. Today he's been pretty much normal. Even demanding to go outside and has been chasing the cat around.

Quote:
(Oh, and please groom with clippers, not scissors, when working at all close to the skin. A little road rash is a lot better than an open wound.)

The person doing the grooming won't likely be able to ever groom a dog, or even use scissors again and I doubt I'll be able to let anyone else groom Harry for years so he'll be in good hands insofar as grooming is concerned.

Thanks for stopping by!
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2009 07:46 am
@patiodog,
Ack! Good thing patiodog came along!
0 Replies