Questions about pain relief for my dog after injury

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 01:31 pm
Harry (small dog, Maltese) was injured in the neck yesterday. He was having a haircut and was cut badly. The scissors were dirty and rusty (I mention this due to any health complications it may cause).

He was cut down to the muscle. His wound was about an inch long and opened to about a quarter. He did not bleed at all and it did not hit any veins or tissue below the skin.

We rushed him to the vet, and they sedated him and gave him 5 stitches. The medication we were told to give him is:

Clavamox drops (Amoxicillin + clavulanate) orally every 12 hours for protection against infection.

Neo-sept areosol spray (neomycin + clostebol) for cicatrization 3 times a day.

Rimadyl tablet (25mg) every 24 hours for pain and soft tissue inflammation.

Last night, Harry wouldn't stop running around the house. He'd go in circles, run somewhere to hide, but wouldn't stop running around. He was also hyperventilating for hours.

I'd try to hold him and he's occasionally stop hyperventilating (he was panting faster than he'd pant after a long run, and his heart was racing) if I'd pet him but he'd struggle to get away and run around again.

I am wondering if this is due to pain, and if there's anything I can do within his treatment regime to alleviate pain. I gave him the Rimadyl last night and held him till he calmed down a bit, and today he's much better, but I'm wondering if the Rimadyl can be given half every 12 hours instead of once a day, or if the cicatrization spray hurts him. He's ok with the drops, and the tablets are a bit hard to get him to swallow but he doesn't seem to mind. However the spray he hates, and I'd like to know if it's just because of the cold aerosol or because it stings him.

Not sure exactly why I want to know, or what difference it makes, but I'm trying to get the best understanding of his treatment that I can so I can make things as comfortable as I can for him during the next 7 days.

sozobe

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 01:43 pm
Poor Harry! I hope patiodog, cowdoc or someone else who can give good advice shows up soon. (I have none, alas.)
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 01:45 pm
Quote:
He's ok with the drops, and the tablets are a bit hard to get him to swallow but he doesn't seem to mind. However the spray he hates, and I'd like to know if it's just because of the cold aerosol or because it stings him.

I'm so sorry for both you and Harry. I can't answer the question about the one day vs 12 hours, but your vet should be able to tell you. I do know the sprays can sting, plus most dogs freak out when you turn any spray on them- I don't know why. For the oversized pill I have two suggestions: 1. turn it into a powder using a mortar & pestle type system and then sprinkle it on some tasty meat or 2: pick up some of these at the pet store:

https://kingwholesale.com/Images/Greenies/GN_PillPocketGroup.jpg

The thing about the dirty scissors is distressing, but I assume the drugs will take care of that too. I hope you both feel better soon.
Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 01:54 pm
@Green Witch,
The sound and feel of a spray mimics things in nature that dogs are afraid of, would be my guess.

I'm sure he'll be back at it in no time, sounds like he's getting better already.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 01:55 pm
@Green Witch,
Green Witch wrote:
I can't answer the question about the one day vs 12 hours, but your vet should be able to tell you.

Yeah, but I'm not a very trusting sort and I always want multiple sources. Plus I trust patio and cowdoc more than any vet I know. I've read them for years longer than I've known any local vet.
Izzie

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 02:01 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Oh poor Harry. Hope Pdawg is along soon with some advice.

Hope he recovers quickly. Lotsa TLC Robert - I guess try and keep him calm so he doesn't pull the stitches - I dunno if that happens - stitch pulling - but not to lick to the wound if he's able to get near it. Know nothing about the meds at all - sorry - but try and keep him drinking as much as poss. Poor Harry.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 02:38 pm
@Robert Gentel,
So sorry to hear that...poor little fella.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 02:56 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Is there any chance the hyperventilation is in reaction to the Amoxicillin? Don't know about dogs, but some people have various allergic reactions to that particular antibiotic.
littlek

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:14 pm
I do know dogs may pant when in pain.
I think that the panting could be a reaction to drugs like Roger noted.
Feel sorry for the little pooch.
0 Replies

Robert Gentel

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:24 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:
Is there any chance the hyperventilation is in reaction to the Amoxicillin? Don't know about dogs, but some people have various allergic reactions to that particular antibiotic.

I had not given him any at that point, and since I did today he hasn't had any problems. Plus he took the same stuff in the great loss of balls of 2008 and it didn't cause him to do this.

I'm starting to think he was freaking out because he didn't know where that feeling was coming from. At times it seemed like a dog chasing his tail and that he though someone was touching him on the neck as he ran around.

Today he's been much better so hopefully he'll stay that way.
Foxfyre

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:39 pm
I've had good luck with a small dose uncoated aspirin (always given with food to avoid stomach upset) for a small dog - a couple times a day. Aspirin has the same problems with dogs as it does people so you need to be careful but it is a very effective pain reliever especially for the short term and many vets recommend it. Not sure how much your dog weighs--but you can probably get an idea of the dosage by googling aspirin for dogs or something like that. I'm guessing a baby aspirin would be fine for a small dog....a larger dog like 32 lbs can take two full adult aspirin a day.

Don't use the coated kind though because the dog's disgestive system works really quick and doesn't allow time to dissolve the coating and he'll likely pass the pill intact.

Don't give a dog tylenol or ibuprophen.

(P.S. that groomer should be sued or at least be paying your vet bills. That was inexcusable.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 03:43 pm
Yes, I was going to say uncoated asprin as well. 5mg per lb of dog is the recommended dose.

Give with food to avoid stomach upset.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 04:13 pm
@Robert Gentel,
Oof, poor Harry! Cheers for improvement.
jespah

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 05:52 pm
@ossobuco,
Poor pup! And definitely go after the groomer.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2009 06:26 pm
By the way, every time I log into this thread--and only this thread--I get a security warning that the certificate is okay and do I want to proceed. In case that is a problem.
Region Philbis

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 12:19 pm
@Robert Gentel,

how's Harry doing today?
0 Replies

Izzie

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 12:38 pm
@Foxfyre,
Foxfyre wrote:

By the way, every time I log into this thread--and only this thread--I get a security warning

yep... me too - just this thread.

echoing RP - How's Harry?
dyslexia

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 12:51 pm
I never get a security warning. Why should others get a security warning and not me? Am i chopped liver?
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 12:57 pm
@Izzie,
It's my fault Embarrassed , it has something to do with the picture of dog treats I posted. Sorry everyone.
Izzie

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2009 01:02 pm
@Green Witch,
HA! Secure dog chews a? They must be chopped liver! Wink
0 Replies