what are the specific complaints/what the specific complaints are

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 10:55 pm
1. It is our view that the claim is unmeritorious. It is not clear to us what are the specific complaints of each of the plaintiffs as the statement of claim has not been filed yet," the Senior Counsel said.

2. It is our view that the claim is unmeritorious. It is not clear to us what the specific complaints of each of the plaintiffs are, as the statement of claim has not been filed yet," the Senior Counsel said.

Which is the correct version? '... what are the specific complaints...' or '...what the specific complaints... are'?

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 1,258 • Replies: 8
No top replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 11:00 pm
Since it's a quote, the correct one is whatever the person speaking actually said, even if what he said wasn't grammatically correct or wasn't said gracefully.
MontereyJack

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 11:02 pm
That being said, you could probably get by with either of them. The second one, tho, sounds better to me. There should als9o be a quotation mark at the start of the sentence.
0 Replies

tanguatlay

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 11:05 pm
@MontereyJack,
Thanks, MontereyJack.

I missed typing the first quote marks. Thanks for pointing that out. I think I will stick to the second version, as that is what I was taught.

I posted the question as I wanted to know how a native speaker would phrase the question. The Senior Counsel who made that statement, is not a native speaker.

Many thanks.

0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 11:15 pm
And "meritorious" in usual usage means something like out-of-the-ordinarily-worthy. A fireman who saves a child from a burning building at great risk to himself may be cited for "meritorious service". But we're talking here only about a legal case and whether or not a claim may be valid, it's not something extraordinary, and that's "merited". In fact, my dictionary defines 'merit' as "b: legal significance, standing, or importance." So I think it should be "unmerited" rather than "unmeritorious".
tanguatlay

Reply Wed 11 Feb, 2009 11:53 pm
@MontereyJack,
Thanks, MontereyJack

Being non-native, even our lawyers do not write precisely.

0 Replies

solipsister

Reply Thu 12 Feb, 2009 04:00 am
@tanguatlay,
its all rubbish, if the claim has not been lodged how can it be unmeritorious

you continue to pose ridiculously circumlocutory questions

the plaintiffs' complaints are unclear because the yada yada yada

which is more correct the yolk of the egg is white or the yolk of the egg are white

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Fri 13 Feb, 2009 02:19 pm
@tanguatlay,
In the normal neutral situation, Tan, ENLs don't use S-V inversion, which marks a question form, when there is no question. However, it is not ungrammatical to use such a form, ie. that found in 1.

If a speaker wants to be bit more emphatic, then the speaker might choose to keep the S-V inversion.

You note that the speaker is not a native speaker, so that persons choice of words might reflect that or it might reflect a choice that you were not aware existed in English.
contrex

Reply Sat 14 Feb, 2009 03:35 am
@JTT,
The word "merit" can have a particular specific legal meaning - in court, if a claim is said by a judge to have or bear merit, that simply means that it is valid. If it is said to be without merit, then it is not. The word does not imply anything to do with praiseworthiness or admirability. In the English courts, one would hear "without merit" rather than "unmeritorious".
0 Replies