Does your pet love you?

JTT

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:35 pm
@Thomas,
Quote:
Re: Thomas (Post 3559633)
Thomas wrote:

Your cat doesn't love you. She respects you for feeding you. So does my mother's dog.

If a cat doesn't love, can it respect, Thomas?
0 Replies

mismi

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:48 pm
@kickycan,
I love them - they love me - it's pretty simple for me. But Kicky - I know what you mean when you talk about that look in their eyes - My kitty - well he is a little less adoring - but he loves me. He sleeps with me and he follows me like a dog - unless the two doggies are actually following me. But my dogs - wow...I feel like a queen when they are around. They put the heads in my lap and look up at me like I am the most amazing person. Truly sweet.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 01:58 pm
All animals have emotions.

Ducks mate for life.

A long time ago, probably 20 years ago, there were these two ducks that lived by my uncles house. Every day they'd cross the road and go do whatever it is ducks do. Well, one day the female got hit and was killed. My uncle saw the body and picked it up. The male was devestated and for days kept going back to the road, to the spot where she was, circling, looking for her.

It was heart breaking.
Brandon9000

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 02:47 pm
@Bella Dea,
Bella Dea wrote:

All animals have emotions.

Ducks mate for life.

A long time ago, probably 20 years ago, there were these two ducks that lived by my uncles house. Every day they'd cross the road and go do whatever it is ducks do. Well, one day the female got hit and was killed. My uncle saw the body and picked it up. The male was devestated and for days kept going back to the road, to the spot where she was, circling, looking for her.

It was heart breaking.

Yes, it sure is. Actually, though, it's typical of the nature of life.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:04 pm
It was so particularily sad to me because there was no way to explain to him what had happened and he just kept looking for her.
Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:18 pm
They definately have emotions - one of my cats will growl at the kids and hiss at them when he gets mad. This same cat will bite the other when he is pissed.

But he will also show his love when he rubs his head against my head - then I show my emotions by smacking him cause he wakes me up doing this.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:23 pm
@squinney,
I don't think dogs are clueless to human emotion. I'll suggest both Pacco and Sallydog as examples.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:25 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
"Yeah; I have been accused of stuff like that by reputable authorities,
beginning with my mother."

<smiles>

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:27 pm
@djjd62,
I know some dogs and cats have done that, but some have not in various situations.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:29 pm
@Linkat,
Stop a second here. Long term observation of cats and dogs shows that they have some emotions...but don't equate them to human emotions. To equate their emotions to human ones is to anthropomorphise.

There is no basis for proof that their emotions compare to human emotions for depth and complexity. However, they have emotions for sure..and possess a rich emotional life. However, their brain is smaller (per body weight), simpler and their concentration span and memory are shorter. They will show what appears to be grief should their keeper/owner pass on..or one of their liter mates..or regular playmates pass on. They "love" but their abilityto show love is wrapped up in (simple) behaviors that are different than ours. They "speak" a different language that humans so to call this 'love' as we humans understand love obscures the point. Doggy or kitty love it is...but it is not human love. Call it what you want, it feels good to receive.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:30 pm
@Bella Dea,
Yeh, I may have been mixing up my duck story. It might be Foxy who went under one of the houses (ours, I think) when the cat died. Such is memory; I'll have to ask my ex.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:33 pm
@Ragman,
All very nice, but human love is a complex of mishugas with perhaps a kernal of purity at the nub, no matter our chubby brains.

(I spent part of the morning reading a travel diary of DH Lawrence. Lot of folderal in some segments, much of it about the phallic power..)
Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:35 pm
@ossobuco,
and..toss in some schmaltz and some kishkas too.
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:37 pm
@Ragman,
As long as I can have my lox.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:40 pm
@ossobuco,
I keep reading the Lawrence though, since just as I am about to toss the book across the room, he tells me about lemon gardening in 1913, including building houses around the lemon trees for winter..

sorry, tangent
Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:50 pm
@Ragman,
Of course their brain is smaller in comparsion than ours - that is why they are stupid and are pets and why we lead them around on a lease and not the other way around.

Doesn't mean their emotions aren't as deep - just that they are stupid.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:51 pm
Hmmm... does brain size relate to the capacity to love?

I agree that cats show more emotion than the poopity-heads admit or acknowledge . And, furthermore, I think that cats who are as dependent on their owners as my cat or Kicky's cat are even moreso enamored. It's like my cat knows I am saving his life everyday.

My little guy falls asleep on my chest. This may be a way to keep warm on fridged nights as he doesn't do so in warmer temps. But he falls asleep watching my face, slowly blinking, until one of us falls asleep. That isn't about food, it's not about warmth (he watches me even when he is NOT sleeping on me).
Linkat

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:51 pm
@littlek,
See great minds and brains think alike.
Ragman

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:52 pm
@ossobuco,
what does DH Lawrence have to do with...this?
ossobuco

Reply Tue 3 Feb, 2009 03:54 pm
@Ragman,
Lawrence - nature of human love, he was rather obsessive about his pov, as probably was Acquinas.