Subjunctive use?

JTT

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 12:41 pm
Quote:
Supplying you with an answer (and what, for the love of god, makes you think anyone here can answer this) would be tantamount to acknowledging that there were a fault committed. Why should anyone assume that there were something wrong with him not having attended?

This was brought here from the thread,

http://able2know.org/topic/128626-3

These are most certainly not typos. Can you shed any light on this, Setanta, anyone?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,594 • Replies: 39
No top replies

Letty

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 01:16 pm
@JTT,
JTT, the subjunctive form in grammar is the unusual strutcture of such sentences as: I wish I WERE there. or If I WERE only there. What you have illustrated is a subject verb agreement error. Fault is singular, ergo, the verb should be "was".
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 01:23 pm
@JTT,
You cannot be questioning the subjunctive mood, JTT.

What is your point?
aidan

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 01:24 pm
@JTT,
I can't comment on why someone else might feel comfortable saying were in those instances but I have a question about an ancillary issue- and I think you might know the answer.

My understanding is that one uses 'were' as the subjunctive- something that might happen- as in 'If I WERE to go to the party, I would wear blah, blah, blah...or 'If I WERE going to the party....etc.

So this is what I've always said (and written). But I've noticed in more and more publications (mostly newspapers and magazines) that people are using 'was' instead of 'were'.
I've read sentences such as, 'If I was going to the party...'
That just sounds wrong to me, but I figure these editors must know what they're doing.

Can you use 'were' and 'was' interchangeably? Are they equally grammatically correct or is one more favorably looked upon than the other?
And if they are interchangeable- is this a fairly recent grammatical development or change?
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 02:05 pm
@aidan,
JTT thinks you can do anything you want...and you'd be correct.

JTT thinks there is no such thing as good or bad English grammar.

JTT thinks there is not a single language scholar anywhere on this planet who thinks there is such a thing as good or bad English grammar.

Anything goes.
JTT

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 03:31 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I don't understand what you mean, "questioning the subjunctive mood", Frank?

JTT

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 03:37 pm
@aidan,
No, you can't use them interchangeably, Aidan, ie. in all situations, because they sometimes hold different meanings, again depending on the situation/context.

But yes, 'was' can be used in place of 'were' for counterfactual/doubtful conditionals and yes, both are fully grammatical.

"If I were you" and "If I was you" both entail that I am not you.

The change is not at all recent. It's been going on for hundreds of years.

The difference is simply one of register with 'were' being more formal.
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 03:39 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
I don't understand what you mean, "questioning the subjunctive mood", Frank?

Well, if you don't understand what I meant, don't even bother with it!
JTT

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 03:42 pm
@Frank Apisa,
Do you think that those examples in the first posting were examples of the subjunctive, Frank?

Did you notice that someone put a tag on, calling you a "Grammar Nazi"? Wink
Frank Apisa

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 04:19 pm
@JTT,
No...and no.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 05:25 pm
@JTT,
JTT
Quote:
The difference is simply one of register with 'were' being more formal.

That makes sense because whenever I've read 'was' used in one of these instances it was in a piece utilizing a fairly jokey or ironic tone-sort of a noticeably enforced casualness that didn't ring true- as if the writer were (was) trying very obviously to sound down to earth or down with it or something.

So then, as you noted, someone could legitimately say, 'If I was you' instead of 'If I were you'-that still just sounds so wrong to me.
I think we should go back to the more formal 'were'.
JTT

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 05:39 pm
@aidan,
Quote:
'If I was you' instead of 'If I were you'-that still just sounds so wrong to me.

There are some situations in language, Aidan, where one form sounds better than another. That's largely a matter of frequency and in this case, for you, register. It might even be that you are "remembering" some grammar "advice" from your school days.

We can't go back because the subjunctive is moribund, and it exists, in modern English, in only a few forms. The rule now, the one that native speakers have in their internal grammars is, "use the past tense form with 'if' to denote a doubtful to a counterfactual situation".
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Thu 29 Jan, 2009 05:43 pm
@Frank Apisa,
No, I don't think that "anything goes", Frank. I've never said that.

'anything goes' comes from the prescriptive folk who believe that 'rules' for language can be made up according to their opinions/wishes.

0 Replies

JTT

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 02:38 am
It's happened again, and this certainnly isn't only the second time. I'm puzzled as to why.

Quote:
That is to ask why an extinction were necessarily evil.

http://able2know.org/topic/128762-1

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 11:36 am
@JTT,
I'm puzzled as to why this holds interest for you.

Do you think it would have been better if he had used "was?"
JTT

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 12:47 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I'd rather the person responsible for producing said language describe why they chose this form, Frank. I haven't mentioned that anything would be better.
Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 02:23 pm
@JTT,
C'mon, JTT...you are showing lots of interest in this.

I know you will never acknowledge that "was" has any superiority to "were" in that sentence...but I really would like to know how you would have written the sentence...and why you would prefer that way.

JTT

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 05:29 pm
@Frank Apisa,
It's true, I have a great deal of interest in things language. But as I mentioned, Frank, "I'd rather the person responsible for producing said language describe why they chose this form".

Quote:
I know you will never acknowledge that "was" has any superiority to "were" in that sentence

You don't know one way or the other, Frank. You can, of course, make as many guesses as you'd like.

aidan

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 06:40 pm
@JTT,
Sorry to interrupt - but I find language interesting too.
I think was would be acceptable, but I wouldn't have used was or were - I'd have used 'is' as in: That is to ask why an extinction is necessarily evil.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 4 Feb, 2009 06:55 pm
@JTT,
JTT...it is obvious you think this was inferior to something else you have in mind. Why are you so reluctant to share with me what you would have done...and why you think the difference is important enough for you to discuss this?
0 Replies