Mon 26 Jan, 2009 03:08 pm
Well i am almost 16 and i rele want to loose weight but i'm having a hard time. I am about 5'7 & i weigh 170lbs, am i overweight? if so how can i loose it because i just seem to stay at that same weight, i don't gain or loose any weight.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 2,331 • Replies: 12
Topic Closed
No top replies

Farmgirl25

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 03:25 pm
@Farmgirl25,
i just really hope that someone will help me out!!!
Green Witch

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 03:39 pm
@Farmgirl25,
Farmgirl25, Welcome to A2K -

We have discussed this topic a lot here. I suggest you read the first six or so pages of this thread and then search "teen diets" on this forum for more information.

http://able2know.org/topic/35752-1

You might also want to watch Oprah today and tomorrow - overweight teens is the topic both days. You can also watch on-line at her website.
Farmgirl25

Mon 26 Jan, 2009 03:40 pm
@Green Witch,
ok thank you i just turned on oprah
0 Replies

Countrytype

Wed 27 May, 2009 04:51 am
@Farmgirl25,
Dear Farmgirl25,
Be careful what you do. If you diet now while your metabolism is high and you are young, you can lower the amount of food your body will feel it needs before storing fat. You can also make yourself very unhealthy. The best way to lose weight at your age is to make sure you walk briskly or exercise for about an hour every day, and to make sure you eat 6 to 10 servings of fruits and veggies every day. This will make you feel fuller so you can focus on eating less junk food, candy, and fatty food. Although a little bit of fat everyday from healthy sources like nuts, peanuts, fish or olive or canola oil is very very good for you.

I am the same height and weight as you, and I am 33. I am not skinny, but I am not considered fat either. My husband thinks I'm gorgeous and I get compliments on the bus once in a while and not usually from creeps! This is embarassing but nice in a way, and I know that even though my BMI is over 25, I am more muscular and strong than the average woman and I am not obese.

I know from past years when I was sportier or cycling more often that when I get fitter (the hour - even in bits is fine - of brisk walking/jogging/biking daily), I stay the same weight but my size goes down because I am losing fat and gaining a little muscle. At most I lose 10 pounds over a year.

So, my advice to you is don't look at the scale, look at how your pants fit, and how healthy your diet and lifestyle are. If you excercise you will also have a lot more energy, and make it easy to stay fit later in life when you are a lot busier with grown-up responsibilities. Don't worry about looking like a supermodel - when you are my age you might be a little bigger than you are now, but so will everyone else, and if you take good care of yourself, the difference will be small. You will keep growing and developing until you are 25 or so, so don't stress out - you will grow into yourself, and change all your life. Also, most people who are good partners and friends don't care if you are perfect looking, and find healthy very attractive!

Good luck!
0 Replies

MilonJones

Sun 3 Mar, 2013 08:18 pm
@Farmgirl25,
Hello Friends,

People diet for many reasons. Some are at an unhealthy weight and need to pay closer attention to their eating and exercise habits. Some play sports and want to be in top physical condition. Others may think they would look and feel better if they lost a few pounds.
Some people may diet because they think they are supposed to look a certain way. Actors and actresses are thin, and most fashions are shown off by very thin models. But this look is unrealistic for most people — not to mention physically damaging to the models and stars who struggle to maintain it.
By the time they turn 12 or 13, most teen girls start to go through body changes that are natural and necessary: Their hips broaden, their breasts develop, and suddenly the way they look may not match girls on TV or in magazine ads. Guys develop at different rates, too. Those guys with washboard abs you see in clothing ads are usually in their twenties.

Thanks and Regards,
Milon Jones
0 Replies

melanie96

Wed 6 Mar, 2013 04:54 am
@farmgirl25
I am 16, 5.9ft' and weigh 166lbs, you are not over weight your a healthy weight for someone your age and height, there is nothing to worry about, too keep your health and fittness up just do some regualr exercise and maintain a healthy diet, thats all you need too do, I have suffered a health problem for almost a year now which affects my eating partterns but my doctor said just avoid unhealthy foods. So that is what I do, any way though, certain training can affect how your body changes, if you do cardio training you will lose weight, if you do curcuit training you will increase cardio muscular endurance (how long your muscles can work for) and weight training will help you build up muscles, just remember muscle weighs more than fat! If you want some guidence on your weight just speak too your doctor about it and ask for some advice on what diet would be best suited for you.
0 Replies

aarenace

Thu 7 Mar, 2013 01:15 am
@Farmgirl25,
cut out potatoes (huge source of carbs), anything fried (huge source of fat), and all sodas (liquid candy bars)
0 Replies

catherin

Thu 7 Mar, 2013 06:51 am
@Farmgirl25,
Hi

I think you have ti do regular exercise and yoga.It play an important role in our healthy life.Please avoid fast food.Please do not take tension too much about this.
Thanks
0 Replies

melanie96

Fri 8 Mar, 2013 06:44 am
@Farmgirl25,
@farmgirl25
your not over weight, your a healthy weight for some one your ages height and gender, if your worried about your weight speak to your doctor and ask for ideas too have a healthy diet, and keep doing regualr exercise, thats all you need to do. but remember there are different types of training, cardio vascular training is the best to do if you want to loose weight, that will include running or cycling or even walking! as long as its continuous, another method is circuit training, that helps you build your muscle and improve cardio vascular muscle endurance, remember muscle weighs more than fat! The other training method i would recomend is weights, but that is only best for tonning up your body and building up your muscle, but go speak to your doctor and see what they say, but dont worry take it from my point of view your not over weight, I suffer problems with my weight so I'm trying to hwlp others who are worried! speak to your doctor hope i helped.
good luck!
sandycooper000

Thu 14 Mar, 2013 10:02 am
@melanie96,
Very interesting thread. Healthy diet is necessary for teens. So useful information I get from this thread. Thanks for your post.
melanie96

Fri 15 Mar, 2013 07:02 am
@sandycooper000,
it's ok happy too help
0 Replies

Stephanie Ingram

Thu 28 Mar, 2013 12:05 am
@Farmgirl25,
You do exercise daily.
0 Replies