personnel / on the right track

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 04:43 am
Opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim claimed that some police [/b[b]]personnel committing abuse and torturing suspects and these were covered up by top officials in the force.

Is 'personnel' correctly used? I don't think so because 'personnel' means 'all the staff'. Am I on the right track? (By the way, have I used the phrase in bold correctly?)

I'm sorry about asking two questions in one post.

Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 998 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 07:37 am
@tanguatlay,
Nothing wrong with "police personnel." The rest of the sentence is a piece of ****, though.
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 11:59 am
@tanguatlay,
You need either of these two small changes, Tan.

Opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim claimed that some police personnel were committing abuse and torturing suspects and these were covered up by top officials in the force.

Opposition leader Datuk Seri Anwar Ibrahim claimed that some police [/b]personnel committed abuse and tortured suspects and these were covered up by top officials in the force.
tanguatlay

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 12:33 pm
@JTT,
Many thanks, JTT, for your help.

Your sentences clearly show that the sentence I quoted is a poor piece of writing.

Best regards.

Ms Tan
JTT

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 05:34 pm
@tanguatlay,
Quote:
Your sentences clearly show that the sentence I quoted is a poor piece of writing.

I wouldn't say that, Tan. There are tons of slip ups in the postings at this forum and these are mostly native speakers.
tanguatlay

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:45 pm
@JTT,
Hi JTT

Are you surprised that the sentence I quoted is from an English newspaper?

Regards

Ms Tan
MontereyJack

Reply Mon 26 Jan, 2009 10:55 pm
No, that doesn't surprise me. It was, after all, an English paper. They don't speak good like us Americans does. You could also omit "some" and "personnel" (which sounds somewhat more inclusive of the entire force than with them in, but is still correct).
0 Replies

JTT

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 11:14 am
@tanguatlay,
No, newspapers, magazines, books, speaking, every aspect of English use can have misteaks, Tan. Wink
tanguatlay

Reply Tue 27 Jan, 2009 10:08 pm
@JTT,
Thanks, Jack and JTT, for your response.
0 Replies