Obama's speech was amazing!

Zippo

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 01:41 pm
I wasnt much of an Obama fan, but he gave a fantastic speech, he has made me proud of America. He is a real genius and everything said came straight from the heart. No bull shitting and straight to the point. America is damn lucky to have him lead. We must give the dude a chance.

God bless America! & God bless Obama!

I did feel just a little sorry for Mr. Bush ... I still cant understand why.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 5 • Views: 1,580 • Replies: 13

McTag

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:08 pm
@Zippo,

Much of the speech was openly critical of the previous administration, in not-too-veiled terms, wasn't it?

I'm glad he did not hold back on that. Fantastic speech, yes.
Steve 41oo

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 02:13 pm
@McTag,
Good speech. A little too serious for me. A couple of jokes would have lightened it up.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:55 pm

Borat Obama only reads from a script written to him by his speechwriter Jon Favreau.

http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/Globe_Photo/2008/12/19/mag21contF1__1229699734_9813.jpg

Quote:

The baby-faced wunderkind who has written the first words Barack Obama will deliver as President is poised to make history as the youngest person ever to write an inaugural address.

Jon Favreau, 27, has spent the last two months working for up to 16 hours a day on the speech in locations all over Washington, from the Penn Quarter Starbucks to his new, still-unfurnished apartment in the city’s upmarket Dupont Circle.

As the day approaches, he has found himself writing until 2 or 3am, fuelled by double espresso shots and Red Bull. A team of assistants are on hand to furnish him with material, from research on key moments of crisis in American history to the collected speeches of former presidents.

A cult has grown up around new the chief presidential speechwriter since he penned the Iowa victory speech that launched Mr Obama towards the White House.

His boyish good looks have not hurt, nor has the emergence of an unfortunate Facebook photograph showing him drunkenly groping a cardboard cut-out of the new Secretary of State, Hillary Clinton, at a Thanksgiving party.

What also has Washingtonians swooning is his way with words, his effortless blending of his master’s voice with his own almost musical ear.
He wrote the catchphrase “Yes We Can”, and he will be relied upon to come up with the most apposite, least-expected Lincoln quotation to frame Mr Obama’s hopes for America’s future.

Mr Favreau " or “Favs” as he is known to friends " was barely out of college and working as a speechwriter for John Kerry when he met Mr Obama backstage at the 2004 Democratic Convention. The Illinois senator was running over his lines when Mr Favreau impudently interrupted him to suggest a rhythmical rewrite. Mr Obama was astonished - and hooked.

Only a handful of aides have spent more time with Mr Obama since. The pair spent hours “just hanging out” on the campaign trail as Mr Favreau absorbed the candidate’s ideas and language.

“Barack trusts him,” said David Axelrod, Mr Obama’s top adviser, “and Barack doesn’t trust too many folks with that - the notion of surrendering that much authority over his own words.”

Come the day, Mr Favreau will swap his jeans and sweater uniform for a formal suit and take up an office in the West Wing as head of a White House speechwriting team with a dozen senior writers.

It will be quite a change of pace. It will also be his last job in politics " or so he has claimed. “Anything else would be anticlimactic,” he said.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article5548555.ece
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 03:57 pm
Ok ass clown, every president has a speech writer. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 05:46 pm
I dont think Bush did. If he did, boy did he get screwed.
boomerang

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2009 05:49 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman that is hilarious!

Bush's problem was he needed both a speech writer and a speech therapist.
McTag

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 01:21 am
@farmerman,

What are the papers saying about Pres Obama faltering over the Oath?
The guy who was reading the card did it wrongly, getting his words in the wrong order. Obama smiled and waited for him to correct himself, and then tried to carry on.
It sounded awkward, but it wasn't Obama's fault.
InfraBlue

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 02:38 am
@McTag,
President Obama retakes oath of office
McTag

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 02:45 am
@InfraBlue,
Yes, thanks. Shortly after my writing that, it was reported here this morning on the BBC radio news.

I wondered what the Fox spinmeisters were going to make of it.
To me, it was clearly Justice Roberts' fault, and Pres Obama smiled when he heard the familiar words coming in the wrong order, gave him a brief chance to correct himself, then carried on- unfortunately, because it added to the awkwardness.
0 Replies

Pamela Rosa

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 03:31 am
@boomerang,
Quote:
Did Obama Have A Stroke Or Develop A Brain Disorder?
By Ted Twietmeyer
1-20-9

Did Obama recently have a stroke, head injury or develop a brain disorder?
In several public speeches, one can hear Obama stuttering quite badly. But beyond stuttering, after listening to more than 7 minutes of his speech it's very apparent he cannot form a single complete sentence.
His problems could be symptomatic of a stroke or brain disorder, as described below on WebMD:
Stuttering develops as a result of brain damage or stroke, such as following a traumatic head injury or stroke.

What are the symptoms?

Symptoms may include:
Repeating sounds, parts of words, and sometimes entire words.
Pausing between words or within a word.
Substituting simple words for those that are hard to speak.
Showing obvious tension or discomfort while talking.
Using incomplete phrases.
Making interjections (such as adding "uh" or "um" in the middle of a sentence).
Making parenthetical remarks (adding explanatory or seemingly unrelated words or phrases).

Stuttering often becomes worse during stressful situations, such as public speaking. Interestingly, it often does not occur during other activities, such as singing, whispering, talking while alone or to pets, or during choral reading.

How is stuttering diagnosed?
A speech-language pathologist can usually diagnose stuttering by having the child read aloud, videotaping or recording the child while he or she is talking, or checking speech patterns in other ways.

Also, doctors usually conduct a physical exam to rule out health problems, such as hearing loss, that can interfere with speech development.

Stuttering that appears for the first time in an adult is usually related to an injury, health problem, or severe emotional trauma. Diagnosis includes a physical exam, questioning, and observation.

Here is a typical Obama speech which clearly manifests the problem:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp0hU1THjuc&feature=related
Ted Twietmeyer

http://www.rense.com/general84/stam.htm
0 Replies

MontereyJack

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 03:49 am
It's very clear you know absolutely nothing about audio, Pamela. If you did you'd recognize the earmarks of total and complete editing--someone just took every "uh" he uttered in, apparently, several different venues, and spliced them together. Record your speech sometime and notice how many times you--or anyone- says "uh"--it's probably about every fourth or fifth word, which is the way most people speak.
Ticomaya

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 04:51 am
@MontereyJack,
MontereyJack wrote:
... Record your speech sometime and notice how many times you--or anyone- says "uh"--it's probably about every fourth or fifth word, which is the way most people speak.

Speak for yourself, Jack. I don't say "uh" every fourth or fifth word.
Zippo

Reply Thu 22 Jan, 2009 04:56 am
@Ticomaya,
Quote:
Speak for yourself, Jack. I don't say "uh" every fourth or fifth word.

Read what you wrote again, I can clearly see the word "uh" Smile
0 Replies