New signs for the homeless

cavfancier

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 10:12 am
Hey safecracker, this is totally off topic, but would you mind posting your research on weight loss and metabolism again with links? It would be great if you could make a new topic in Health and Fitness. I for one, would be interested, and I have lost the links. I think others would also be interested. You do indeed seem to know what you are talking about. Make it a thread.

Now....back to the homeless:

Half the week, I'm a telemarketer.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 10:33 am
Contribute to my CA Governor election campaign!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 10:34 am
"You think it could never be you but you know you are wrong."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 10:37 am
i'm always intrigued by the kids on Queen Street here that have signs that say "kick a punk for a buck". seems they get the buck, but rarely get kicked. i think i'd want to kick 'em, but their big dogs kinda look unfriendly. Confused
0 Replies

Peace and Love

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 10:40 am
Will Accept VISA Donations

Call 1-800-HWY-BUMS

:-)
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 11:14 am
Friend of mine snapped a picture in NYC a while back she used for her boyfriend's cd cover. It was a picture of a homeless guy holding a sign that said something like "Need $$ for Pot, Booze, Hookers...hey, at least I'm not lying."
I saw it on the internet a few times since then, it was a great pic.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 11:36 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
"You think it could never be you but you know you are wrong."

Thanks for that.

I don't think any of the rest is the least bit funny, BTW.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 11:39 am
"I'm flammable."
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 11:46 am
PDiddie wrote:
Thanks for that.

<shrugs> I think the homeless problem is one of the three most urgent (and probably the single most scandalous) problem around here, I give something to a homeless person pretty much every other day and I've put in a li'l bit of volunteering at the Streetnews - and I still think many of these are quite funny.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 11:54 am
Agreed, but then Slappy had to get in there. That one ain't funny, IMO.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 11:55 am
Pdiddie
I'm not putting down the truly needy - just having a joke. I've lived among bums like those a few times in my life. Was pretty much one, temporarily. You know the old song: Got to laugh to keep from crying.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 11:56 am
My other sign is factory printed.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 12:00 pm
sozobe wrote:
Agreed, but then Slappy had to get in there. That one ain't funny, IMO.

I said "many", not "all" ... PDiddie said "none".

Anyway, back2B
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 12:02 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Thanks for that.

I've been homeless as a teen (in Texas) and it was decidedly unfunny. But I do not think this jesting untoward, then again, I never carried a sign I just didn't eat.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 12:10 pm
OK, on a more serious note, then:

"I used to be in a mental health institution, but you voted to cut its funding."

(You can vary on this theme in multiple ways, obviously. Remember when there werent half as many homeless people on the streets?)
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 12:13 pm
edgarblythe wrote:
I'm not putting down the truly needy - just having a joke. I've lived among bums like those a few times in my life. Was pretty much one, temporarily. You know the old song: Got to laugh to keep from crying.

Hope I'm not coming off as pious here.

I thank the Nebulous Cloud Being every day that I will likely never have to go there.

I suppose I could screw it up; OTOH, I've been poor (not destitute) and I have some idea about what it's like. A lot of my motivation comes from 'ain't goin' back there'.

To me, there ain't nothing funny about it--not when you're in it, not when you're past it.

I suppose my real contention is not so much y'all making light of the downtrodden, but rather this creeping awareness that makes me sick to my stomach; that there is going to have to be a lot more suffering by many more thousands of people in this country before things get turned around, and that it's going to be years, if not decades, before it does.

We haven't stopped sliding down the hill yet.

I'm sorry; I guess I haven't taken my St. John's Wort today... Neutral
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 12:18 pm
yeah. what pd said except for the St. John's wort part. (I'm allergic.)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 12:36 pm
What have I spawned? People...."there but for the grace of whoever go I" as well. This whole thread was based on a conversation between me and a homeless guy I visit on a regular basis (I bring him sandwiches, buy a paper once in a while, veteran dude). He thought it was hilarious. Anyhow, one can indeed keep this light, and still be pointed as to their political opinions. Heck, I've been poor, I'm poor now....sometimes I'm not. Whatever. Let's just try to keep this thread as a bit of fun. I like Edgar's gotta keep laughing to keep from crying approach, and I know he knows whereof he speaks.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 04:16 pm
Giving money to homeless people is a temporary fix, but keeps them in their place.

"If you teach a man to fish..."

As long as there are open jobs and they are able to work, I have no pity for them. There are lots of homeless young people around here who steal, do drugs, and destroy property. They are dangerous, especially when hopped up and they piss on the street and smell terrible. Just because someone is homeless, doesn't mean they are "just down on their luck." Most have drug or mental problems, and my giving them money keeps them on the streets, not scrounging to seek out a different life or treatment.
Sure, there are honest, hardworking, mentally stable people who want to work but can be down on their luck. I understand that I could be one of those people should I become poor. Generally those people can get back onto their feet with available social programs [church groups, goodwill, food shelters, habitat for humanity, welfare, medicaid, etc.].

And don't forget that North America has one of the world's lowest poverty rates.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Fri 26 Sep, 2003 04:19 pm
I am homeless in Texas as well CDK and you are correct it is not funny.

On the other hand I am grateful that I am not on the street just a relative that came for dinner last May and who is still here, yikes.
0 Replies